Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should mics pick up soft noises  (Read 4259 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Should mics pick up soft noises
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »
One quick Q:  you say you had the gain to 40,  but did you have the setting on external mic? You have to select that rather than "line in".  (obvious, I know, but it's actually an easy mistake to make if you're new to the iRiver).

I don't know those mics, so can't comment there. I have run AT831's and CMC8's into my iRiver, and found no problem at all with gain. The only mic I tried with it that wasn't sensitive enough was a Sony ECM907 (that I had used w/my Minidisc)

If you find you DO need a preamp, I have a Reactive BoostBox that I use with my JB3, and I've found it to be a decent little performer if not in the league of the AD20 or other more 'pro"  pieces of gear. It does the job just fine, however, and it's very easy to use and not that expensive.

Also, have you tried running your iRiver w/Rockbox firmware - you'll be VERY glad you did!! It's much MUCH better for recording w/features including great level meters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:08:01 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline Chill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Got cat??
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »
One quick Q:  you say you had the gain to 40,  but did you have the setting on external mic? You have to select that rather than "line in".  (obvious, I know, but it's actually an easy mistake to make if you're new to the iRiver).
No, I dont see that option.  All I have is "line in", "mic" and "Digital". 

Your talking about Settings->Recording->Recording Settings->Source->external mic?  I dont have that.
Also, have you tried running your iRiver w/Rockbox firmware - you'll be VERY glad you did!! It's much MUCH better for recording w/features including great level meters.
The frist thing I did to the ihp-120 was install rockbox, great program.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:40:28 AM by ALF »

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 11:22:01 AM »
No, I dont see that option.  All I have is "line in", "mic" and "Digital". 

Your talking about Settings->Recording->Recording Settings->Source->external mic?  I dont have that.
The frist thing I did to the ihp-120 was install rockbox, great program.

Ah, ok - I thought from the way you were describing that you might still be on iRiver firmware. You are correct that in RB the "line in" setting is the correct one.

In which case... it does sound like your mics perhaps aren't sensitive enough, but as resident only-know-what-I-myself-use-and-not-much-more I'll let others more qualified than me answer! :)

Good luck with it all :)
DPA4060
R09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com