Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK4 Question  (Read 7584 times)

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
Re: Schoeps MK4 Question
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »
i will send an e-mail to find out how old they are before i determine if i need to have them serviced.

haven't had a problem - but i am a strong believer in preventative maintenence

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
Josephine, if you send the serial numbers of your capsules to mailbox@schoeps.de, they can tell you when they were made and whether they have been serviced there since then. (And please tell Bernhard I said "hello" if you do that.)

--best regards

Just an observation on writing Schoeps: they are great guys.  I wondered about hot plugging the mics.  I got a nice note back from the technical director saying he does it all the time and has been doing it for 20+ years with no problems. The amp circuits are built to withstand this.  They respond quickly and are very helpful.  This impresses me a lot as not every manufacturer is this way.  Granted it can harm speakers used for playback.  But I did not ask about that, only the mics.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 08:54:32 PM »
DSatz,
 just curious, your knowledge of schoeps history is amazing, did you work for/with them at some point?

Thanks as always for sharing the knowledge!
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 09:42:43 PM »
I think I have a pretty old pair of MK4's and they don't sound as bass heavy as other MK4's I have heard.
Thanks in advance!

ever think its the m148?
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »
I think I have a pretty old pair of MK4's and they don't sound as bass heavy as other MK4's I have heard.
Thanks in advance!

ever think its the m148?

bite your tongue

;)

the man has a point
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 10:10:22 PM »
The serial numbers are 82431 & 82431. Does anyone have experience in telling how old a Schoeps cap is by the serial number?

I bought my mk4's in Feb 02 and shipped straight from Schoeps in Germany are SN 79469 and 79470 and they just cross 100000 this year (wish I had cap 100,000 :) )  I would guess that yours would have been made in 2003 or so.

FWIW - I am pretty sure many on axis Schoeps caps (i.e. 21, 4, 41) share serial number lineage.  Off axis is definitely different.   - DSatz please confirm

Also my mk4's are definitely Nexel Gray and look just like my other newer caps, the only diff i notice is the 4's gold inlay is much more faded.

I have not noticed any sonic differences in the caps in the 6 years I have owned them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:17:37 PM by campbrs »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
jerryfreak, I don't want to hijack the thread by talking about myself, but yes, among the other things that I do, I work on an occasional basis as a free-lance editorial consultant, tech writer and German-to-English translator for Schoeps. Ethically I feel obliged to be open about that even though it's never been my main activity or source of income, and I actually have no fixed or formal relationship with them other than as a customer.

I don't generally engage in advocacy for them versus other microphone manufacturers, either. That role doesn't interest me and it would feel wrong for about seventeen reasons. In fact, just because I happen to like brand X, Y or Z would be (in my opinion) a poor reason for anyone else to buy it. Different people can get wildly differing results with the same equipment even when they use similar methods. I know this from trying to copy other people's recording techniques after watching them work, and getting results that weren't as good--even though I couldn't see any difference between what they did and what I was doing.

It turns out that for someone who does the kind of recording that I do (mostly classical), the crucial moment occurs after you've set up your mikes, and you turn them on and you listen through them to the musicians warming up: How do you listen, what do you listen for, and what adjustments, if any, do you make next? That's when you earn your fee.

An engineer who's used a particular pair of mikes in many different acoustical settings and who has listened carefully to the results will be able to predict the effect of moving them a foot closer to the stage, raising them, or placing them farther apart. Give that person better microphones, send him or her out to make a recording without any chance to practice with those microphones, and he or she will almost certainly lose a significant amount of competence for a while.

I don't want that on my karma--so I rarely advise people on what microphones they should buy. I pretty much think that the "best" microphone can be anything that is generally suitable for the given application, provided that you know how to use it and how not to use it. We've all heard a few good recordings made with "trash" microphones and many terrible recordings made with great microphones; shouldn't that tell us something?

(The attached photo shows a badge that I used to wear to AES conventions.)

--best regards
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:12:11 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com