Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71144 times)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #390 on: January 19, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »
It appears that Audacity assumes the first 2 tracks of a polywav are stereo. I wonder if there is a setting to not do that?

Reaper imports polywavs as one multitrack file, then you can use the menu, ITEM/ITEM PROCESSING/EXPLODE MULTICHANNEL... to separate all tracks into individual Reaper tracks. N.B.  Reaper recopies the data for each track and makes a reapeak display file for each new track, but puts all this into weird places, typically the (Mac) user's documents folder. I haven't figured out how to get it to put these duplicates in the same place as the original, and of course, it won't open again without them.

Offline SMsound

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2023, 07:28:19 AM »
It appears that Audacity assumes the first 2 tracks of a polywav are stereo. I wonder if there is a setting to not do that?

Doesn't do this for me -- each MixPre polywav track is treated as a mono track. However, the fix is quick -- click on the down arrow to the right of the track name and then "split stereo track".
waves -> bits

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #392 on: February 01, 2023, 03:08:01 AM »
As it stands, I can now load and split polywaves in reaper, but loading them one by one, splitting them, rendering each pair, then combining the files into a single file per set/show, then reloading into reaper to normalize, etc, is just so many steps,

especially when trying to beat Chris King on getting my upload up etree.....  :smash: :shrug:

You don't have to split them all up and render individually.  If you have 4 mics, just import the polywave > duplicate it 3 times > rt click on each track and select the channel you want (ex. ch 3) > repeat for other channels > pan accordingly.  Now you have all your channels in 1 screen.  You can do all your processing individually and for master output.  Setup your tracks as Regions, edit the Regions (track number/name).  Select the channels you want to render together and mute the others.  Then Render the Regions.  Repeat as needed.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #393 on: February 03, 2023, 12:59:10 AM »
Interesting FYI, according to the SD Facebook users page [https://www.facebook.com/groups/sounddevices/], SD now has stock of MixPreIIs, and they have changed display screens to an OLED with rounded corners, instead of LCD. They had to change some internal parts, so such units get firmware 8.01 which is not applicable to older units.

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #394 on: February 03, 2023, 02:10:08 AM »
Thanks GLouie

That rounded screen did not look that great actually.
Wonder if the firmware change is related to oled touch drivers or any changes to the AKM ADC’s.

Unfortunately I can’t participate or read the discussions in the group since I don’t have any FB account.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #395 on: February 03, 2023, 02:22:03 PM »
Unfortunately I can’t participate or read the discussions in the group since I don’t have any FB account.
I can read the discussion without logging in.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #396 on: February 03, 2023, 06:47:16 PM »
So is the change for better or worse?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:28:07 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #397 on: February 03, 2023, 07:04:19 PM »
I can read the discussion without logging in.

On iOS, no browser seems to work for me.
On macOS I found that Brave allowed me to read the discussions.

Thanks! :)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #398 on: February 03, 2023, 09:53:03 PM »
On iOS, no browser seems to work for me.
On macOS I found that Brave allowed me to read the discussions.
Safari works for me under mac os Ventura
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline GLouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #399 on: February 03, 2023, 11:49:14 PM »
I’m not on Facebook but had no problem reading the thread on MacOS Catalina with Firefox.

I guess time will tell if there is a downside to the changes, such as a programming error. You’ll certainly be able to spot the new ones though.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2023, 01:09:09 PM »
I'm taping for the first time in a while on SAturday night and the first time with my Mixpre-D. I'm planning to take some -18db attenuators for the input side. Anyone know if the line outs are good to go into ch 5&6 of Mixpre-6ii? I know they are hot but I feel like the recorder can handle it. I'd rather use the XLR outs than the tape out if I can. It seems to work fine with my stereo but shows are much louder  :smash:
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #401 on: September 08, 2023, 06:56:32 AM »
I also own a MixPre-D and a MP6ii. They compliment each other very well.

Personally, I use the MixPre-D unbalanced "Tape Out" to connect to the MixPre6ii 5/6 unbalanced inputs. They are level and impedance matched and allow a very simple mechanical connection with a single 3.5mmTRS connection.

The following, taken from page 7 of the MixPre-D manual, makes it clear to me that there is no advantage to converting the balanced XLR outs to the unbalanced inputs of the MixPre6ii.

XLR Outputs
The two XLR outputs are active-balanced connections, each capable of driving long lines. These connections can be used as either balanced or unbalanced. When unbalancing, use pin-2 for (+) and pin-1 for ground; float (leave open) pin-3.
Tape Output
The Tape Output is typically used to interface with consumer inputs such as Comtek inputs or con- sumer transcription recorders. The MixPre-D has an unbalanced, two-channel tape level output on a single, TRS 3.5 mm connector.
The Tape Output program is identical to the XLR Output. Tape Out level is fixed at a -10 dBu nomi- nal level and is electrically isolated from the XLR Outputs. Additionally, the Tape Output is used for the Mix Out signal to link multiple Sound Devices mixers.

AES Digital Output
The Right XLR Output can be set to AES digital signal by sliding the XLR Output
switch to “AES”. In this configuration, the Right XLR Output contains both channels of the MixPre-D’s output as a balanced, AES3 signal. All other outputs are unaffected, so inputs panned left will appear on the left channel of the AES output plus the left channel of all analog outputs (in- cluding the left XLR main output).
Sampling Rate
The MixPre-D’s digital system operates at sample rates of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, or 96 kHz. When either a USB connection or AES output is enabled the operating sample rate of the MixPre-D is indicated by the front panel Sample Rate LEDs. If AES output is disabled and there is no USB connection to a computer both Sample Rate LEDs are off.
To change the sampling rate of the MixPre-D, hold down the Headphone Controller while sliding the Right XLR Output switch to “AES”.
When connected to a computer with a USB cable, the sample rate of the MixPre-D is set by the comput- er’s operating system and the sample rate cannot be changed from the MixPre-D. See Computer Interface
Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output
The Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output is designed to interface with “pro-sumer” DSLR- type cameras. The MixPre-D has an unbalanced, two-channel “hot” mic level output on a single, locking, TA3M connector.
The Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output program is identical to the XLR Output. This out- put is fixed at a -36 dBu.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #402 on: September 08, 2023, 08:25:31 AM »

Agreed ^. I ran a MixpreD for a bit and the Tape Out is much better suited for prosumer level devices with a -10 output instead of +4 on the XLRs.

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #403 on: September 08, 2023, 01:21:52 PM »
I have a Sound Devices MP-2 preamp (very similiar to Mixpre D) and I quickly learned the tape out is the better option. The XLR outs simply run too hot and adding ADDITIONAL gain only to reduce it with attenuators is simply unnecessary. The only time you might benefit from the XLR outs is nature recording, spoken word or reeally quiet music.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 01:24:10 PM by Chanher »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com