Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony A10 question  (Read 2656 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony A10 question
« on: April 09, 2023, 03:32:23 PM »
I really love my Sony A10. The blue tooth is nice because you can set levels from iPhone.
The issue I have is in a loud room with mics plugged in with Battery Box the levels are to high even when set to 1. With the built in mics. I can lower levels but get better sound with externals.
 Does the deck have a setting to help with loud rooms, I haven't found one?  Thanks for any help

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony A10 question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 04:38:22 PM »
There are 2 settings for the input jack.....MIC IN and AUDIO IN.

You need to use AUDIO IN.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 06:52:22 PM »

I want to caution that this depends on both the microphones used and the volume of music. I've taken the "use audio in" advice as gospel and have had some really high-noise floor hissy recordings when taking that advice, where I need to have the volume levels all the way up to get a usable but hissy recording.

Offline loughney

• Taperssection Member
    • YouTube show clips
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »

I want to caution that this depends on both the microphones used and the volume of music. I've taken the "use audio in" advice as gospel and have had some really high-noise floor hissy recordings when taking that advice, where I need to have the volume levels all the way up to get a usable but hissy recording.
All depends on what mics you are using. The Sony A10 doesn't have the best electronics for amplification, so you might want to use an external battery box.  I did find that I needed to get the low sensitivity mod for the SP-CMC-4U mics, because I had a lot of problems with recordings that were too loud.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 06:40:47 PM »

All depends on what mics you are using. The Sony A10 doesn't have the best electronics for amplification, so you might want to use an external battery box.  I did find that I needed to get the low sensitivity mod for the SP-CMC-4U mics, because I had a lot of problems with recordings that were too loud.
This was with an external battery box and Church Audio CA-14s (cards and omnis) along with powered Nak cm-300s. mic-in is the way to go with those, in my experience.

Offline in2blues

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 01:19:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I was using an external church battery box with CA- 11's, It was a fairly quiet show and levels were almost peaked. Any louder a show and it would have been distorted. Will try Audio in but worried about getting hissy recording? Sounds like as long as I don't have to turn levels real high to get good levels it should come out okay?  Thanks for the help, everyone is very helpful. Without this site I would be wandering around blind.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 04:00:39 PM »
That is correct. 

The simple take on this is to:
Use the Audio-In setting for recording anything loud - where use of Mic-in will not allow you to set the input trim on the A10 low enough to comfortably avoid overload/clipping.
Use Mic-in for recording anything quiet - where use of Audio-in would require you to set the input trim on the A10 overly high, to avoid increasing noise.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 01:47:32 AM »
(This probably should be discussed in the existing thread - https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=192371.510 - certainly anything else pertaining to this device should be in there, rather than added here.  Maybe.  Perhaps.  If you agree....)

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »
I would also suggest a quality preamp that has lots of clean gain!  I've been running a DPA MMA 6000> PCM-A10 with great results.  I haven't taped any quiet shows, but wouldn't be worried about it if I did.  I love the ability to control the A10 with my phone, such a nice feature.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:41:49 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com