Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage  (Read 16436 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« on: January 08, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »
I’m in the process of moving my masters to g drive for backup. Curious if anyone else foes the same and if you have any concerns about this solution? I feel comfortable my files will be protected and backed up so I’t need to worry about drive failures anymore. Is there anything that concerns you about this solution I should be thinking about - outside of the annual fee?

Also, thought it would he cool if we could open our collections to others with view / read access. I’d be willing to share mine. I haven’t moved everything yet but in the process now
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone else using Google Drive for storage
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
A friend has done that big time, thousands of hours of music he now accesses from phone. He swears by it, but damn, it must have taken an awful lot of work

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 10:02:38 AM »
A friend has done that big time, thousands of hours of music he now accesses from phone. He swears by it, but damn, it must have taken an awful lot of work

google music is different than google drive

google music will scan an entire drive automatically and convert flacs to 320CBR and tag them and upload them to the cloud. 100000 tracks for free, buying the service only gives you access to their catalog (spotify style)

google drive is good for all kinds of files, i have a 2TB that i pay $10 a month for. you can stream mp3s and flacs from there as well, but it isnt as user friendly, more like one track a time, doesnt do playlists well
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline JayBTV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »
I use Google Drive.  Actually GSuite (The business version).  $12 a month for unlimited data storage.  All I needed to do was register a domain w/ google ($12 a year) and then unlimited for $12 a month.  Rocks w/ fiber 1GB/s up no-cap, but I'm lucky to have that available in my apartment.

There's a great Reddit group here https://old.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/ - ( that has tons of threads on cloud options / RClone (archives to GDrive/etc) / encryption options / etc

Jerry> BTW I'm the guy who PMed you yesterday on PT about DMB tapes. 
@Copperpot5

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 12:11:25 PM »
I use Google Drive.  Actually GSuite (The business version).  $12 a month for unlimited data storage.

cant beat that....

Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:30 PM »
I have 12TB backed up through Backblaze. I think it is/was around $50-$60 a year.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 02:40:56 PM »

google music is different than google drive

google music will scan an entire drive automatically and convert flacs to 320CBR and tag them and upload them to the cloud. 100000 tracks for free, buying the service only gives you access to their catalog (spotify style)

google drive is good for all kinds of files, i have a 2TB that i pay $10 a month for. you can stream mp3s and flacs from there as well, but it isnt as user friendly, more like one track a time, doesnt do playlists well

I’m using an app called cloudbeats that reads google drive and lets me manage and play my music stored there. Seems to work well, reads tags, etc.

Thanks for the responses. For some reason im hesitant to delete my files after ive uploaded them to google drive. Lol i need someone to talk me off the ledge and tell me they will all be safe there forever

Offline perks

• Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
I'd be thinking about what your contingency plans are if (god forbid) G-Drive has an issue, or you get hacked, or whatever making the file copies in the cloud unattainable/unusable. How will you restore the data you kept at Google?

For this reason, in 2020, I continue to make and store a copy of the data files burned to a DVD as one of the three + redundancies attempting to keep my recordings around for as long as I can.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:57:57 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 04:37:38 PM »
What he said. Actually, perks, you beat me to it, almost exactly what I was I was about to type, until I saw your post.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a hosting solution on the planet (or in the "cloud") that can't be compromised; or fall victim to the same types of attacks as a localized server. Redundant arrays are only a stopgap security measure, if an entire network becomes crippled.
That's not paranoia, but just a pragmatic outlook.

In particular, I can think of plenty of reasons why hackers, etc, might feel inclined to stick it to Google, given that entity's propensity for paving the way in data mining, so if folks want to keep their data on G-Drive, I seriously hope that it is kept somewhere safe at home at the same time. Just sayin'.

Personally, I'm still a big fan of using data discs as one form of backup, because in a worst-case scenario, it might be easier to stomach the loss of 4.7GB worth of data, as opposed to 1TB (or more).

Having said that, I'm a tad regretful that a while back when I learned the JVC TY DVD discs were being discontinued, I didn't stock up on *more* of them than I did, as it seems a number of counterfeiters have been infiltrating the market with inferior knock-offs that claim to be Powered by TY Technology, or what have you. I've recently picked up a few various brands making this claim (including *some* which were branded CMC Pro), which turned out to be fakes. So... that's a thing now.

My 2¢ worth. YMMV. Peace out.

- - - -

I'd be thinking about what your contingency plans are if (god forbid) G-Drive has an issue, or you get hacked, or whatever making the file copies in the cloud unattainable/unusable. How will you restore the data you kept at Google?

For this reason, in 2020, I continue to make and store a copy of the data files burned to a DVD as one of the three + redundancies attempting to keep my recordings around for as long as I can.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:42:13 PM by GroundHog420 »
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
I have 12TB backed up through Backblaze. I think it is/was around $50-$60 a year.

How long did that take to backup?

I have about 11 TB of data on a NAS. I have a backup that runs nightly to another NAS at my brothers house, but I've considered doing the online route too.

I really wish my job would let me leave the NAS hooked up to the network for a few hours. We have a 40 Gig connection. Shouldn't take long at all. I have a 100M connection at home. I think it would take WEEKS to transfer that much data and I have a 1TB cap, so technically it would take over a year to finish it all.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
What he said. Actually, perks, you beat me to it, almost exactly what I was I was about to type, until I saw your post.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a hosting solution on the planet (or in the "cloud") that can't be compromised; or fall victim to the same types of attacks as a localized server. Redundant arrays are only a stopgap security measure, if an entire network becomes crippled.
That's not paranoia, but just a pragmatic outlook.

In particular, I can think of plenty of reasons why hackers, etc, might feel inclined to stick it to Google, given that entity's propensity for paving the way in data mining, so if folks want to keep their data on G-Drive, I seriously hope that it is kept somewhere safe at home at the same time. Just sayin'.

Personally, I'm still a big fan of using data discs as one form of backup, because in a worst-case scenario, it might be easier to stomach the loss of 4.7GB worth of data, as opposed to 1TB (or more).

Having said that, I'm a tad regretful that a while back when I learned the JVC TY DVD discs were being discontinued, I didn't stock up on *more* of them than I did, as it seems a number of counterfeiters have been infiltrating the market with inferior knock-offs that claim to be Powered by TY Technology, or what have you. I've recently picked up a few various brands making this claim (including *some* which were branded CMC Pro), which turned out to be fakes. So... that's a thing now.

My 2¢ worth. YMMV. Peace out.

- - - -

I was debating a g-drive -> aws synch solution as well. I agree wholeheartedly on the risk and need for redundancy.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
how much of these collections are duplicated? we should chip in for a 20TB slot and upload all our stuff there

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 03:14:44 AM »
how much of these collections are duplicated? we should chip in for a 20TB slot and upload all our stuff there
Why? Because then it is safe forever?
What if we go back to "Tape tree" style "vines" but send around a large drive full of FLAC folders?
My BitTorrent directory is about 1.5 TB and that does NOT include most of my mastered file sets but mostly a bunch of assorted downloads I might enjoy.
My "completed audio" folders are between 30-70GB per year the past few. Total about 1TB over the past 12 years or so.

Are we ready to really contemplate the size of our collective data set?

I keep masters and completed items, as well as raw mixes (sbd + aud for instance) and mastered mixes (gain + limited versions of the raw mixes, to be tracked out but still including heads & tails.)

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
How safe is it to store stealth recordings on Google Drive, Backblaze or whatever? How much do they care about their users integrity? Is it possible for artists and labels to use some algorithm to find illegally recorded music or videos? Didn't Megaupload and other cloud services have a lot of problems in the past with users sharing illegal things in their clouds? Is it safer nowadays?

I'm considering this route as well but I'm a bit afraid it will bite me in the end.
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
I’m worried about storing anything online.
I have three copies of my archives, when I add something
software automatically copies to my other two archives.

Once in a while (2 in last 6 years) I replace a drive and copy it.
My 2 cents
music>mics>pre>recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com