Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why does my .wav look like this? (Stealth content)  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Why does my .wav look like this? (Stealth content)
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:56 AM »
I recorded a crazy loud metal band called oozing wound.

The stealth mics were in a headband just in front of my ears.

Any reason why the file looks flat on the the top?

I was using cafs and a 12v battery box.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why does my .wav look like this? (Stealth content)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
hows it sound? looks to me like just a display issue, I can get a wav to look like that by moving a vertical slider offa the zero mark (center axis of the wav file)

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
its sounds fine.  Nothing noticeably missing.  It was very very loud so, a bit herd to hear detail.  I am just glad it was not distorted.

Does this have anything to do with the mics placement.  it thought this would give it more stereo if my skull was in the way.

They were flat to my head.  Do they need to poke out?

ilduclo

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
If it sounds fine, that's the deal we're looking for, remember, it's audio!! :bigsmile:

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »
Not sure what recorder you use but did you have the Limiter setting on?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »
Its an asymmetrical waveform, which has been limited, clipped or highly compressed on the positive-going side of the waveform more-so than the negative-going side.

Might be due to insufficient mic powering or overload occurring somewhere in the signal chain.

If it sounds okay you probably don't need to worry about it, but if there is significant DC offset you might want to correct it.  DC offset eats up headroom in your output file compared to a file without DC-offset, which isn't really a problem unless you are normalizing or attempting to maximize the loudness of your finished output.  If DC offset is significant enough it can stress the amplifier and voice-coil of the speakers because current will be flowing to hold the cone still in that offset center position even when the speaker is supposed to be at rest and not moving in either direction due to the music input signal.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Its an asymmetrical waveform, which has been limited, clipped or highly compressed on the positive-going side of the waveform more-so than the negative-going side.

Might be due to insufficient mic powering or overload occurring somewhere in the signal chain.

If it sounds okay you probably don't need to worry about it, but if there is significant DC offset you might want to correct it.  DC offset eats up headroom in your output file compared to a file without DC-offset, which isn't really a problem unless you are normalizing or attempting to maximize the loudness of your finished output.  If DC offset is significant enough it can stress the amplifier and voice-coil of the speakers because current will be flowing to hold the cone still in that offset center position even when the speaker is supposed to be at rest and not moving in either direction due to the music input signal.

Gutbucket to the rescue. I love reading and learning from him. If I was in Vegas, and a betting man, I would put all my money on his answer.

This might help as well if you use Adobe Audition:

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182744.msg2232880#msg2232880

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
Well that's what it looks to be, based on the photo of the waveform.  The cause of it is an educated guess, based on having come across similar instances. 
Thanks for the kind words.

Heh, Oozing Wound. That's a name which certainly sets a tone!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SxPxDxCx

• THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
Love Oozing Wound.  Are you going to be sharing this?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline Ziggz

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
I can't find the post, but Chris Church said not to use a 12v bb for CAFS as it would fry them.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
I can't find the post, but Chris Church said not to use a 12v bb for CAFS as it would fry them.

I've looked for it as well and I do recall him saying that 9v it the max power for the CAFS. I think you are correct.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 04:14:43 PM »
Might be due to insufficient mic power or overload occurring somewhere in the signal chain.

Edit^.  Better to term it improper mic powering rather than insufficient mic power in that case.

ilduclo

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 04:32:11 PM »
post it in kickdown! :laugh:

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:55 AM »
its sounds fine.  Nothing noticeably missing.  It was very very loud so, a bit herd to hear detail.  I am just glad it was not distorted.

Does this have anything to do with the mics placement.  it thought this would give it more stereo if my skull was in the way.

They were flat to my head.  Do they need to poke out?

I run my Schoeps MK4/41 right above my ears. 

Offline lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 05:41:54 AM »
DC offset?
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com