Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording SBD using Zoom H2  (Read 12079 times)

Online jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Recording SBD using Zoom H2
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2023, 01:42:03 PM »
No option for getting a signal from that speaker, those are just inputs. So you can get her vocals and drum box from the mixer, but the only way you can get the guitar is with a mic put in front of that speaker. From her diagram with 3 inputs of the mixer circled it seemed she was plugging her vocal mic and guitar into the mixer (new info about the drum box) and that was what going to her speaker, but no. Confused as to where the signal from mixer goes then, off to some other PA system?
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2023, 01:57:52 PM »
No option for getting a signal from that speaker, those are just inputs. So you can get her vocals and drum box from the mixer, but the only way you can get the guitar is with a mic put in front of that speaker. From her diagram with 3 inputs of the mixer circled it seemed she was plugging her vocal mic and guitar into the mixer (new info about the drum box) and that was what going to her speaker, but no. Confused as to where the signal from mixer goes then, off to some other PA system?

Well, that sucks, I was afraid of that. I'm not sure where that signal would go to be honest, the only speaker that in use is the one I posted (MAUI 5), there is no other PA system. I'll have to ask her next time I see her, but I would guess to get it to work how I want she would have to change the way she sets up, and I don't want her to have to do that just for my sake.

AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2023, 04:57:15 PM »
According to the link posted by Dan, the MUAI 5 also has its own mixer (one mic input, one hi-z input and one line-in jack). It looks like your friend sends the vocals and the drum box to her mixer and from her mixer to the MUAI 5. And she also sends the guitar straight to the MUAI5.

The MUAI 5 has no output and the speakers look complicated. It probably won't be easy to record it with a mic. Does she pick up the guitar with a microphone?

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2023, 06:43:13 PM »
Here was her response when I asked her how she had the guitar set up:

"My guitar goes to the guitar input on top there! and then I have a 3/4 cable that runs from the output jack on the board to that mic input there on top! If that makes sense."

So, based on that, I'm guessing her current setup won't allow me to get the guitar other than through an audience recording. In an ideal world, wouldn't she able to plug her guitar into one of those empty ports on the SBD and have everything run through that? Not sure what her reasoning is to having it set up like she does, but I'm sure there is a reason.

North Country Sounds

Online jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2023, 07:06:16 PM »
Here was her response when I asked her how she had the guitar set up:

"My guitar goes to the guitar input on top there! and then I have a 3/4 cable that runs from the output jack on the board to that mic input there on top! If that makes sense."

So, based on that, I'm guessing her current setup won't allow me to get the guitar other than through an audience recording. In an ideal world, wouldn't she able to plug her guitar into one of those empty ports on the SBD and have everything run through that? Not sure what her reasoning is to having it set up like she does, but I'm sure there is a reason.
Because the Maui 5 has a high impedance "instrument" input that maybe she prefers? Plugging a guitar directly into a mixer ideally uses a high impedance port which is different from a mic input or a line input. The Flamma mixer does have an option to plug the guitar into channel 2 with use of the "instrument" button. But in the red circled picture that channel is indicated as in use. If channel 1 is for her vocal mic and channel 4 is for her drum machine, what is channel 2 used for?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 07:16:15 PM by jefflester »
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2023, 04:19:41 AM »
We are already starting to put it together. :
Flemma - Input 1: mic vocal
Flemma - Input 2: mic drum box
Flemma - Line out R: goes to MUAI5
Flemma - Input 3/4: I don't know why she put a red circle here

MUAI - Input HiZ: guitar
MUAI - Input mic: output of Flemma

Jefflester, can she connect a guitar to Flemma input 3? Input 3/4 has instructions below. If it is possible, then Dan just plugs the guitar into the Flemma instead MUAI, set the levels and the problem is solved.
Input 3 & Input 4: Dual-channel stereo 6.35mm TS input jack or line signal for connecting instruments (keyboard,synthesizer). For stereo setup, please connnect both Input 3 and Input 4. For mono setup, please connect Input 3 only.
Edit: I looked in detail in the manual. It looks like that Input 3/4 is not for guitar hi impedance signal. You would need to use a di box (or e.g. old edirol UA5) to convert it to line level.

A small suggestion for improvement, if others approve. Flemma is connected to MUAI via mic input. It would be better if she connect it via mp3 input (line level).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 10:12:34 AM by kuba e »

Online jefflester

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2023, 04:40:36 PM »
I wasn't sure what "drum box" meant and Dan did say that was a mic. I was thinking electronic drum machine so it would be a line level signal and go to channel 3 or 4. But maybe it is a cajon or foot stomp box with an actual mic that does need to go to channel 2. The Maui box seems kinda odd having the XLR line inputs down on the sub like that rather than on the top face where the other inputs but I guess there is not quite enough room. The upper left knob is "line" so presumably that adjusts the level of those XLR line-ins which would be the most appropriate place to send the Flamma mixer output rather than the mic input or the mp3 input. As for use of channel 3/4 for the guitar, it could probably work, but less than ideal. The guitar transducer/pickup (preamp?) would prefer to see a high impedance at the mixer/amp.

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2023, 05:37:01 PM »
I wasn't sure what "drum box" meant and Dan did say that was a mic. I was thinking electronic drum machine so it would be a line level signal and go to channel 3 or 4. But maybe it is a cajon or foot stomp box with an actual mic that does need to go to channel 2. The Maui box seems kinda odd having the XLR line inputs down on the sub like that rather than on the top face where the other inputs but I guess there is not quite enough room. The upper left knob is "line" so presumably that adjusts the level of those XLR line-ins which would be the most appropriate place to send the Flamma mixer output rather than the mic input or the mp3 input. As for use of channel 3/4 for the guitar, it could probably work, but less than ideal. The guitar transducer/pickup (preamp?) would prefer to see a high impedance at the mixer/amp.

Sorry, should have been more clear. It's a cajón, like below:

So there is no mic or connection to the actual box, but there is a external mic that sits in that hole to pick up the sound, which is then connected to the SBD (if that makes sense). Basically just to amplify the cajón (aka drum box). I reached out to her to let know I've pretty much exhausted all options with her current setup, and if she changes it up in the future to let me know and I can take another look. She said that's in the cards at some point, but for now I was actually able to get a pretty decent matrix, better than I was expecting to be honest. Thanks for the help everyone who responded, it has helped get the best I can out of what is available, even if it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

North Country Sounds

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2023, 08:31:19 AM »
Jeff, thanks, you are right. I forgot XLR line. XLR line input is the best to connect Flemma.
Dan, you can buy a di box in future. It costs 30 euros, you can find it in every guitar shop. Then you will be able to connect guitar to Flemma.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 08:36:41 AM by kuba e »

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2023, 02:47:14 PM »
Jeff, thanks, you are right. I forgot XLR line. XLR line input is the best to connect Flemma.
Dan, you can buy a di box in future. It costs 30 euros, you can find it in every guitar shop. Then you will be able to connect guitar to Flemma.

Just to be clear, this is an artist I am recording, not myself, so I have no control over what she's using. I will pass that along to her though, hopefully it will help my effort as well.

North Country Sounds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com