Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 127976 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
Thanks Ed. I would also hate the internal battery and the internal memory.  I'll likely end up with one of these but I haven't picked one up yet.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
You guys do realize you can actually use a Micro SD card? I have to agree on the internal battery, though.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
Yes, I'm aware that you can use a Micro SD card and I'm not really a fan of the Micro SD's either.  But it is what it is.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »
Yes, I'm aware that you can use a Micro SD card and I'm not really a fan of the Micro SD's either.  But it is what it is.

I don't care for the Micro SD cards either, but the M10 used them and I never had a problem in the 10 years I've been using that machine.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »
I’ve never had a 32gb card or smaller fail me in any recorder when formatted with that recorder. And they can be found under $10. You guys woulda hated DAT lol
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2019, 03:37:18 PM »
I’ve never had a 32gb card or smaller fail me in any recorder when formatted with that recorder. And they can be found under $10. You guys woulda hated DAT lol

I had a chuckle when I read that DAT comment. :smash:

Offline flask

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #231 on: April 23, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
Nope, packed up and ready to return as soon as B & H is done
with Passover.
I’m getting another one, I like the size and the phone app. I hate the internal battery
and the internal memory. The USB A sucks and my latest Mac doesn’t recognize as a usb
when plugged in, I have to attach to an older macbook to get files off the internal memory.

That's odd. I'm using mine on a brand new iMac with latest OS and it works fine. I've really been getting a lot of use out of my A10 and so far no troubles. I do share your annoyance with the internal battery.
Mics: AKG C480B CK61/CK63 | AT943C/O
Pre/Pwr: UA-5 wmod | SPSB-1 | Baby nbox
Recorders: TCD-D7 | NJB3 | DR-680mkii | PCM-A10

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #232 on: April 23, 2019, 06:02:17 PM »
This sounds almost like a flawed design. Correct me if I am wrong, but when you connect this recorder to the computer you have no access to the recorder as a recorder in the meantime - correct? In other words, are all the recording functions disabled when connected to a computer? There are actually MP3 devices out there that will still function as MP3 devices despite being hooked up to the USB while charging. What I am getting at is if the A10 doesn't function as a recorder when something is connected to it's USB, then I think Sony should find a way to have the user have the capability to use the recording functions and USB at the same time. This would mean that if necessary, someone could plug this into a power bank, get more power while recording as a backup power source, and also get more continuous recording time - especially on the high capacity SD cards. In fact, I own a Sony camcorder - probably the most newest and cheapest HD model, and you can actually connect a power bank into the USB so the battery life doesn't suddenly take a shit since the physical battery only holds something like a little over 70 minutes max on best picture settings. The battery itself is not suitable for long hour shows because Sony has not come up (and at this stage may never will) with a double capacity battery to give a more extended amount of battery time. Who the hell is running this company these days with all these shortcoming on their products that could really help the consumers???

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:50 AM »
While I’m waiting for my new one...
I was able to format and use a 400 GB card
I was also able to power over usb and record at the same
When I get the new one, I’ll try powering with small external usb
battery. It’s probably not needed until the internal takes a shit.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline gewwang

« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2019, 12:27:10 PM »
i’ve used mine flawlessly about 10 times since january and am loving the ability to leave it in my pocket and control and monitor using the bluetooth app. i’m using the internal memory exclusively and am transferring the files and formatting the memory after every show. It also connects and charges the battery on both my 2015 macbook pro and 2017 imac.

I have the D10 on preorder at B&H and am hoping it works this well. last check it’s supposed to be in stock May 1.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »

thats good news i just bought a 512GB card for mine, theyre onsale for $80 at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465323-REG/lexar_lsdmi512bbap633a_512gb_microsdxc_card_633x.html
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »

thats good news i just bought a 512GB card for mine, theyre onsale for $80 at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1465323-REG/lexar_lsdmi512bbap633a_512gb_microsdxc_card_633x.html

Seriously? The Sony will take a card of that size? If so, I may have to forget my fear of internal battery issues and try one. Interesting ...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »

Seriously? The Sony will take a card of that size? If so, I may have to forget my fear of internal battery issues and try one. Interesting ...

yes SDXC is up to 2TB. 1TB cards jsut released (>$400). those 400 and 512GB cards under $100 are where its at

you expressed interest in my microtrack... buy the a10 and dont look back its an amazing unit. for the size and weight of a microtrack you can have a bat box + recorder that is smaller and better sounding and infinitely more reliable. if you dont need spdif in there is zero reason to own a microtrack imo

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
I may have to forget my fear of internal battery issues and try one.

ive never seen mine dent the battery in recording use

50-75% after 3 hours

Offline Records

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2019, 11:00:23 PM »
yes there are input noise measurements in this very thread

According to this site here, it seems like the A10 is noiser than the M10?
https://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com