Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgraded AC power cords?  (Read 10575 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:Upgraded AC power cords?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2004, 09:16:01 PM »

Where can you find "hospital grade" outlets??  

A local electrical supply should have them...not Home Depot or a hardware store but a commercial electrical supply.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 09:36:38 PM »
A local electrical supply should have them...not Home Depot or a hardware store but a commercial electrical supply.

or buy them from this guy:  www.venhaus1.com

no affiliation other than happy customer.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 09:57:46 PM »

or buy them from this guy:  www.venhaus1.com

no affiliation other than happy customer.

Nice find.....just an FYI that price is about double what I pay at an electrical supply.

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »
I've spoken with Ethan Winter at Real Traps about my son to be complete theater room.  I will say his stuff is expensive.  You can get a 100' roll of linacoustic for $180.  That will make about 50 micro traps.  The GOM fabric is about $13 a yard.  I'm making my own as I've got the time.

Thanks for the link.  I'll try the electrical supply store.

SC

jpschust

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 11:19:56 PM »
scott, relative to other pre made traps i find his stuff to be pretty reasonable.  its VERY VERY well made, IMHO  

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 09:06:08 AM »
You are correct.... however I find it expensive relative to DIY solutions.  I figure $300 to treat my entire room which would include a 13'x8' wall.  He is a good guy and it is too bad he can no longer sell the OC 703 and 705 panels.  This is mainly why I turned to linacoustic as my brother works for HVAC company while home from school and can walk into HVAC distribution centers and grab me just about anything.  Acoustic products being a plus!

jpschust

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »
nice!  yah, i don't mind some diy stuff, but honestly I get so busy with all the random stuff I do that when i buy something I just dont even mind spending more to have somoene else make it and waranty it.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 10:16:15 AM »
Nice find.....just an FYI that price is about double what I pay at an electrical supply.

Looks like I'm headed to the electrical supply.  I hadn't called around for prices.  
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 10:55:06 AM »
Here is a link to various acoustic materials used by HT design folks....  good luck finding them though.  Don't call Home Depot or Lowe's, you would have better luck going to HVAC outlets
http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 11:54:02 AM »
I think room treatments will have a larger impact than anything.

Gotta stay within the limits of reality.  My wife is pretty supportive of all my audio madness, but I don't think acoustical treatments will be happening any time soon to our living room.    ;D
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 12:18:02 PM »
After looking at "high end" type power cords I think I'm gonna go into the cord making business. :P   For about $60 in parts you can easily make a nice cable that they are getting hundreds for assembled.

Well, I assume you're just joking about going into business on this one, but I've been looking into this for several days now.

After looking around a bit, I'm thinking of putting together some AC cords for myself.  They'll be based on the cable asylum design, using Schurter IEC connectors, Belden 19364 wire, and hospital grade plugs.  I haven't decided yet on whether I'd go for the techflex covering on them.

At any rate, it may depend on volume and exactly what I'd go with (techflex, etc), but it looks like it'll be about $35 or so in parts for a 5' cable.  I'm not thinking of getting fancy with cryogenic stuff and whatnot, but it should be a high quality audiophile-level set-up.

I'm assuming it shouldn't be to hard to whip these things together, so I'm happy to put together some for folks on the board who are interested.  With the parts cost, shipping of parts to me, shipping the finished cable out, and paypal fees and whatever, I'm thinking I can offer these AC cables to folks for $45 shipped for a 5' cable.  I could make longer for a bit more (the belden cable is $2/foot).

I'm not trying to get rich on these, but obviously would like to cover my costs.  Probably just would feel better knowing there are other audiophool idiots on the board who think coughing up $45 for an AC cord is a reasonable use of their income.   :P

So drop me a pm if you're interested in getting some of these homemade AC cables.  I'm going to try to get an order put out for parts in the next few days and then will get to building the cables.  Probably can be ready in the next couple weeks.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 12:32:35 PM »

Well, I assume you're just joking about going into business on this one, but I've been looking into this for several days now.

I was semi-serious.  I too have been looking into making them.  The cable I was gonna make was gonna be about $100...$70 in parts $10 in shipping and $20 for labor.

Have fun making the cables.....FWIW.....the cryoed cable is not much more $$ and from what I have read and know.....it's well worth it.

jpschust

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 12:51:19 PM »
i would kind of like to see what else is out there besides the belden- ive heard great things about it, but i know there are better cables out there.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2004, 01:06:23 PM »

I was semi-serious.  I too have been looking into making them.  

Sorry about that, Brian.   :-\   Next time start you're own damn thread, hijacker.   :P  Guess we've been working on the same premise at the same time--didn't mean to steal your thunder.  +T

Offline Todd R

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 01:23:42 PM »
i would kind of like to see what else is out there besides the belden- ive heard great things about it, but i know there are better cables out there.

There's also DH Labs/Silver Sonic Power Plus cord, which you can get for $6 per foot.  I looked into it and decided against it for myself.  It ends up not being just the extra cost of the cable, but also the connectors.  The Schurter IEC is limited to 14 gauge wire, which is what the Belden is; I'm not sure right now about the limits on the plug side.  Since the DH Labs is 12 gauge, that means to use it you'd have to use all different parts, so the overall cost would probably double.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com