Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgraded AC power cords?  (Read 10574 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Upgraded AC power cords?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2004, 02:10:29 PM »
If I'm not mistaken 20A cicuits must be wired with 12ga, so shouldn't your power cord be the same?? I know I run certain air compressors off 20A extension cords...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2004, 02:25:23 PM »
If I'm not mistaken 20A cicuits must be wired with 12ga, so shouldn't your power cord be the same?? I know I run certain air compressors off 20A extension cords...

It depends on the device that you are feeding.  A preamp may draw only 200 watts.  You don't need 12ga wire for that.  That compressor probably draws 1500-2000W.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2004, 02:47:07 PM »
Then why to we all run 20A dedicated circuits to amps/racks??

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2004, 04:33:46 PM »
The dedicated 20A circuit is intended to provide power to alot of devices.  If you look into the wiring of your house, you will find that a 20A breaker will run power to a whole room or even multiple rooms depending on the number of outlets in each room.  The individual normal devices (i.e. not a refrigerator or A/C unit) taking power from that circuit actually draw much less than 20A.  

For example, from my rack:

DAT machine rated max draw is 21W
CR recorder rated max draw is 27W
Multiformat player (energy star) rated max draw is 14W
can't find the rating on my preamp but it takes a .5 amp fuse

So if I power on all this stuff, I am consuming at most 1A.  

A power amp is different. If you have a 240W/ch amplifier, that is a rated maximum of 4Amp if you are driving it to the extreme.  Ususally it draws a lot less continuous current in most applications.  The reason that you want a much larger capacity circuit for the power amp is that it may have instantaneous power requirements that exceed the average.  The 240W/ch amp may dissipate on average 120W, but have instantaneous power requirements of 8A to 10A when there are loud transients in the material.

The primary reason for having a dedicated circuit for audio equipment is to isolate the audio equipment on a leg that is as far away from other devices as possible, because all those other deveces (lights, TVs, ceiling fans, refridgerators, hair dryers) all put noise back onto the AC line where they are tapped.   That A/C line noise gets through the power supply filters and degrades the audio signal.  

The reason to put an amp on it's own circuit is that when the instantaneous current becomes high there is a voltage drop on the circuit and if your source devices are on the same circuit, they have to suffer that voltage drop.  It's not unlike turning on the hair dryer and seeing the bathroom lights dim.  A 1400W hair dryer draws ~13A like a big SS applifier will when it's trying to refill its stores after a large transient on the output.  Also the draw of the source components, however minimal, cuts down on the total capacity available to the amp when it really needs it.

You can run wire rated for 20A in your power cords and it won't hurt anything.  But if your device draws only .3A, then running wire suitable for 20A is overkill.  Especially for source devices that do not have large instantaneous power requirements.  If you have wire suitable for 10x the max draw of any device, you're not going to see any benefit from investing in bigger wire.  You'll get better returns from investing in wire/shielding topology.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2004, 06:59:58 AM »
I understand all of this, but why is the standard to run dedicated 20A to a projector or component rack.  I know a projector is not drawing the same power as a 200x7 amp!  The number of times an amp will draw that kind of power is very limited.
SC

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2004, 07:09:47 AM »
I understand all of this, but why is the standard to run dedicated 20A to a projector or component rack.  I know a projector is not drawing the same power as a 200x7 amp!  The number of times an amp will draw that kind of power is very limited.
SC

As an electrician we usually run a 20A circuit in a situation like this because you never know what may be there in the future! The additional cost to upgrade a 15A circuit to 20A is minimal if you know there is going to be some sort of critical/high end draw.

You wouldn't be too happy if ya ran a 15A circuit and ya had your favorite tune cranked and the breaker opened due to load.

The bottom line is.....is it needed?  99% of the time no.  It's overkill...but then again so aren't most people playback systems who run these dedicated 20A circuits. ;)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2004, 07:29:04 AM »
Well, like I have said, I ran 5 20A lines in my basement.  Not sure I'd put anything else on the ceiling that needed 20A though :)  I just wanted to cover myself incase I wanted to run dual subs, hence the need for 2 dedicated lines up front.  A Panamax sub-2 will be put here as well.  The amp will be plugged into its own circuit and the rest of the gear will be on a Panamax line conditioner.  Might plug the amp into it as well.  

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2004, 01:09:21 PM »
Where can you find "hospital grade" outlets??  I've been looking, but can only seem to find reg 20A.  I ran 2 dedicated 20A lines to the rack( 1 for amp and other for power conditioner), 1 for the sub and 1 for powered towers if  ever go that route.  In a year I'll post pics when complete....

Scott, I don't know if you're still looking, but I just got a 6-piece lot of Pass & Seymour 8300 HI outlets.  These are the 20A heavy-duty, hospital grade outlets (in ivory).  I'm only going to need 3 or maybe 4 of them, so if you're interested I could let you have two of them.  Shipped they'd be $9 apiece.  Let me know.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »
Already picked some up thanks.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Upgraded AC power cords?
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »
any word on how these turned out?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com