Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need amp advice  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Blake Williamson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Cookin' and Smilin'
I need amp advice
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:06:56 AM »
hello all,
  I am searching for an amplifier for my home audio system.  I am interested in something "somewhat" high end inside of the $4,000 dollar mark.  I have been researching for a few weeks and have come across two amps that I am particulary attracted to.  The first is the Bel Canto EVO2 (www.belcantodesign.com)  It has 120 wpc and is purely digital.  A nice feature is that to bridge the power for mono block usage, you push one button.  Then you get something like 400wpc.  So I could add another in a few years and really have some power!  The other amps I am juggling are the rogue stereo 90 and the rogue tempest II (www.rogueaudio.com/Products.htm)  I have heard the stereo 90 before and I find it to be round and musical...plus it looks cool.  Does anyone out there have any experience with any of these three amps?  Is there any particular reason I should or should not go with the integrated tube (tempest) over the regular tube (stereo 90)?  And lastly do you think a pure digital amp or a tube would go better with my system? 
Here is what I have now:

Receiver:Marantz SR9300 (www.marantz.com)
sacd/cd/dvd:Marantz DV8400
Front Channel Speakers:Eggleston Works Fontaine series (www.egglestonworks.com)
Rear/center channels:B&W natilus series

I understand everyone has different ears, and it all depends on what you like...I'm just curious what opinions audiophiles with more experience than me have.  Thanks for the help!!
-Blake Williamson
blake@livetaping.com
cookin n smilin

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: I need amp advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »
I'd go with a warm amp for the Egglestons they are so percise that I think some warmth would help.
I have the Eggleston Andra II's and use a Mcintosh Mc352 and find it to be plenty of power but sometimes wish I had a bit more warmth.
I plan on getting  a tube pre to help smooth things out currently using solid state Mcintosh C41.
Check out the Balanced audio technology and Levinson stuff if you can good luck.
http://www.balanced.com/
You might want to check with Jcallery on this board I think he purchased the Bel canto amp for use with some Andra's.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 06:02:06 AM by Wiggler »

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 07:57:45 AM »
one of the warmer amps i always had my eye on was the belles 350A which is right in that price range. 

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 01:58:11 AM »
some brands to check out:

Parasound
Bryston (these are used by many pro mastering studios)
Adcom
Musical Fidelity
BAT
VTL (Vacuum Tube Logic)

Happy shopping!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 08:55:14 AM »
Every few months there are Conrad Johnson Premire 12 monoblocks on audiogon for aroung $3600.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com