Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Tascam DR-03 competes with zoom H1  (Read 13836 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New Tascam DR-03 competes with zoom H1
« on: September 18, 2010, 06:31:57 PM »
Hi,

After all there's competition for the zoom H1, the new Tascam DR-03 (a DR-8 copy, smaller, with fixed mics), even smaller and the same price, $99, 2 built-in omni mics, micro-sd, 2 aaa batteries:

Stereo omni condenser microphone design
Up to 48kHz/24-bit WAV recording or MP3 recording modes
Records to microSD media
Auto-recording function starts when input exceeds a reference level
Limiter, low cut filter and auto gain control for input
Variable Speed Audition changes the playback speed without changing the pitch
Loop playback mode
USB 2.0 connection for file transfer
1/8" stereo microphone/line input
1/8" stereo headphone output
96x96 backlit LCD display
Powered by two AAA batteries or USB bus power
Built-in speaker
Built-in desktop stand
Includes 2GB microSD card and AAA batteries

http://www.tascam.com/product/dr-03/overview/

Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: New Tascam DR-03 competes with zoom H1
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
I wish these manufacturers would grasp that closely spaced omni mics are useless for stereo imaging (a trend started I think by the Sony M10, regrettably).  In that respect the H1 wins hands down.

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »
I wish these manufacturers would grasp that closely spaced omni mics are useless for stereo imaging (a trend started I think by the Sony M10, regrettably).  In that respect the H1 wins hands down.
couldn't they design them so the the device serves as a baffle?
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:33:54 AM »
the new Tascam DR-03 (a DR-8 copy, smaller, with fixed mics), even smaller

True, a little bit shorter, but the fixed mics makes it wider...
DR-08:
37mm x 137.5mm x 15mm
Weight 77 gr
DR-03:
44 x 125.8 x 15mm
weight 51 gr

Like Ozpeter pointed out, the DR-08 have directional cardioids, if anybody is dead set on using the internals for taping.

Already shipping now, available for $98. This one went under the radar. :-)
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline faninor

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
Then there is the Tascam PR-10, which seems to be the same as the TEAC VR-10, I suppose making it smaller than either the DR-08 or DR-03.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 03:22:29 AM »
Then there is the Tascam PR-10, which seems to be the same as the TEAC VR-10, I suppose making it smaller than either the DR-08 or DR-03.

You're right, the PR-10/VR-10 is slightly shorter/narrower than the DR-03

PR-10/VR-10:
1.45" W x 4.75" L x 0.59" H
DR-03:
1.732" x 4.953" x 0.591"

Weird though that the PR-10/VR-10 has cardioids in a square casing, while the DR-03 gets omnis pointing out in an angle. Should have been the other way round?!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:33:19 AM »
It looks like Tascam is trying to cover every possible angle (mics and features) in the digital portable handheld... its incredible how many recorders they have in their portfolio, starting last year until now... going from multitrackers to tiny 2 track recorders, what's going on?!
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
I'm contemplating one of these smaller Tascams to replace my Hi-MD recorder. I typically run open with a SP batt box and AT933-based card or subcard caps on a stand to record either amplified or non-amplified bluegrass at outdoor festivals. I'm fine with 48kHz, and I'd never use the internal mics. Just looking for an easy to use, compact recorder. I'm just not feeling like I need to spend the $200 for the M10 since I probably record a total of 4 times a year.

My primary motivation is for convenience over the MD (backlit and less button presses to do the same thing). The self-noise of my mics and the fact that I'll be recording louder stuff means that I won't be worried about the internal preamp (although I just saw that the DR-07 preamp specs look pretty good). The battery life on these don't seem to match the Olympus and Sony offerings, but if I can get 6 hours or so, that is more than adequate. I'd be looking at the LS-11, but it appears to roll-off through the mic input.

So has anybody actually had their hands on and played with some of these and can comment on ergonomics and GUI, etc.? I guess I'd be considering the DR-03, 07, 08 or PR-10.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:30 AM »
I'm contemplating one of these smaller Tascams to replace my Hi-MD recorder. I typically run open with a SP batt box and AT933-based card or subcard caps on a stand to record either amplified or non-amplified bluegrass at outdoor festivals. I'm fine with 48kHz, and I'd never use the internal mics. Just looking for an easy to use, compact recorder. I'm just not feeling like I need to spend the $200 for the M10 since I probably record a total of 4 times a year.

My primary motivation is for convenience over the MD (backlit and less button presses to do the same thing). The self-noise of my mics and the fact that I'll be recording louder stuff means that I won't be worried about the internal preamp (although I just saw that the DR-07 preamp specs look pretty good). The battery life on these don't seem to match the Olympus and Sony offerings, but if I can get 6 hours or so, that is more than adequate. I'd be looking at the LS-11, but it appears to roll-off through the mic input.

So has anybody actually had their hands on and played with some of these and can comment on ergonomics and GUI, etc.? I guess I'd be considering the DR-03, 07, 08 or PR-10.
I have a DR-03, PR-10, and DR-07. I haven't had a chance to use the 03 or 10 yet for recording a show, and haven't yet tried to do any comparisons between them, but from initially playing around with them I like the controls and interface on it better than the larger 07. But battery life with the AAAs is less. I don't think you could get 6 hours without a battery switch, but with the DR-07 that may be possible.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Thanks for chiming in...have you used the 07 in really bright (sunny) and/or dark environments? Is ther screen pretty readable, etc.

I also saw that there is a firmware update (1.02?) which supposedly addresses some battery life issues with rechargeables. I'll keep searching to see what kind of battery life to expect. If it's around 6, I think it represents a bargain for recording amplified music (maybe not so much for nature/ambience due to it's slightly higher self-noise).

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
Thanks for chiming in...have you used the 07 in really bright (sunny) and/or dark environments? Is ther screen pretty readable, etc.

I also saw that there is a firmware update (1.02?) which supposedly addresses some battery life issues with rechargeables. I'll keep searching to see what kind of battery life to expect. If it's around 6, I think it represents a bargain for recording amplified music (maybe not so much for nature/ambience due to it's slightly higher self-noise).
With the backlight, it's easy to read the screen in the dark, but with the backlight shut off it would be difficult. One caveat, if I recall correctly, is that while hold is engaged the backlight won't turn on if you press any buttons, so in the dark if I want to check my levels I have to take it off hold for a second. On my old microtrack I just had to press any button and the screen would light up with a message saying hold is engaged, and after the message disappeared I would have a few seconds to see my levels before the backlight shut off. There's a separate indicator for clipping which will light up if the levels are too high but sometimes I want to see the full screen.

I don't think I've used it outside on a very sunny day, so I'm not sure if it would be easy to read in that situation.

I want to say that the battery life on the DR-07, with Eneloop rechargeable AAs, was at least 5 hours, and I think into the 6 hour range on a fresh charge if I recall my test correctly. VS the DR-03 and PR-10, with the supplied alkaline AAAs (I don't have rechargeable AAAs yet -- but soon) I think I got a little over 4 hours... but I'm not sure about the quality of the supplied batteries.

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
Those kinds of ergonomic issues are exactly what I'm curious about, thanks again. It sounds like it is fairly intuitive to use, etc. You're right that the light not working in hold mode is poor design; I'd want to be able to turn on the light too.

I use Imedions (similar tech. to Eneloops), so that is also good info. Are you running the latest firmware (v1.02)?

SP has these now for $99 and I'm tempted. The M10 looks ideal, but it's hard for me to justify 2x the cost for the extra battery life and slightly quieter preamp. I don't record very often.

BTW, did you see this recent thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=142139.msg1833857#msg1833857? In his summary of the recording tests he conducted with the DR-07, he noticed that there is a 'significant 4 dB low-end boost' on the mic input, and that '...most of that deviation can be corrected with the 40 Hz low-cut filter option'.

Offline faninor

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 02:09:56 AM »
I'll have to check what firmware I'm running. I bought the DR-07 in May 2010 and hadn't thought about updated the firmware since I encountered no problems.

I saw that recent thread but didn't follow the link because I didn't want to deal with opening a PDF at the moment. That is interesting, though. I've only used the line input on mine.

When I do need the light, I just take it off hold and spin the wheel a single click then put it back on hold. Not too big of a hassle and everything else about the recorder beats the heck out of my old Microtrack so I'm happy to deal with it. Still would have been nicer if one of the buttons on the unit worked to activate the light for a few seconds while on hold.

I think maybe from time to time these have been the stupid deal of the day on musiciansfriend.com for about $80 if you're patient --  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
Weird though that the PR-10/VR-10 has cardioids in a square casing, while the DR-03 gets omnis pointing out in an angle. Should have been the other way round?!

The PR-10/VR-10 are actually omnis, though it would be nice if they were cards. I picked up the Teac model for the rare times that I stealth thinking I would match it with some small externals, but then I made a few recordings with it and I must say I was impressed with the internals, especially for under $100:

http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2011-03-09.teacvr10.cd2go.flac24

Now I could never say that this could be a substitute for my DPAs, but for the couple times a year when it's time to go under-cover, the ease of getting this into a venue (it's been wanded with no problem), setting up with one button push and no wires to hassle with and resting it on a balcony ledge or sticking it in a hat is what I'll be doing for now. I'm curious as to how the omnis compare to the DR-08 cards. I just don't like the bling/added size/flimsyness of the mickey-mouse ears.

-james 

Offline ijwthstd

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
My friend bought one of these for $49 this weekend at Guitar Center I think. He walked into a club where I was last night, recorded like the last 3 minutes of a band then split. Haven't heard the results yet.
"Never have I seen such a derisive comment by an uploader here about the music he is uploading." - TexasSkeptic

"is this a bad recording, or was that just a joke?" - monogwai

2012 Live Music Recap:

http://www.freewebs.com/ijwthstd/apps/blog/show/12314294-2012

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com