Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)  (Read 107240 times)

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 2)
« Reply #300 on: April 21, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »
Just got my replacement DR-70D back today and signed for it.  They supposedly replaced it for a new unit...NOT!

I open the outer box to find an already opened TASCAM box with only the recorder in it and the manual, nothing else.  On top of that, the screen is covered with surface scratches and the bottom rubber pad looks like someone went at it with a pen knife.

All I can say is that if you need to have this unit repaired, just throw it out and buy a new one.  You will get better satisfaction than dealing with their service center.

TASCAM service is 100% CRAP!

I know you all are very happy with your DR-70D's, however I wouldn't trust sending it back to them at all, as now I am looking at the refund of which B&H is backing me on.

TASCAM really didn't give a fuck about the fact that they sent a used recorder back to me after they told me it was being replaced with a 100% new model. 

The screen is so scratched that you can't see the levels accurately if there is a glare on the screen from lighting in a room or the sun.

Uhg...I am the one and lonely Tascam DR-70D user that will never stand behind this product.  Sorry to be a downer!

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2015, 06:33:26 PM »
Just got my replacement DR-70D back today and signed for it.  They supposedly replaced it for a new unit...NOT!

I open the outer box to find an already opened TASCAM box with only the recorder in it and the manual, nothing else.  On top of that, the screen is covered with surface scratches and the bottom rubber pad looks like someone went at it with a pen knife.

All I can say is that if you need to have this unit repaired, just throw it out and buy a new one.  You will get better satisfaction than dealing with their service center.

TASCAM service is 100% CRAP!

I know you all are very happy with your DR-70D's, however I wouldn't trust sending it back to them at all, as now I am looking at the refund of which B&H is backing me on.

TASCAM really didn't give a fuck about the fact that they sent a used recorder back to me after they told me it was being replaced with a 100% new model. 

The screen is so scratched that you can't see the levels accurately if there is a glare on the screen from lighting in a room or the sun.

Uhg...I am the one and lonely Tascam DR-70D user that will never stand behind this product.  Sorry to be a downer!
Sorry you had a horrible experience.  I hope you took pictures and immediately emailed them along with an account of what happened to someone at the USA corporate offices.  They should be sending you a brand new unit along with a letter of apology.

FWIW, I once had to send a Sony PCM-M10 in for service for a channel imbalance issue with the built-in mics.  It was handled very professionally by a service center in Teaneck, NJ and they immediately sent me a brand new one.  Sorry to hear Tascam's service isn't at this level.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:24 PM »
Pics had been sent immediately with a full report!  Hope I get some satisfaction from this ordeal.

They have a separate service center just for the DR-70D and a separate dept that sends them out after repair or warranty.  To many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:45 PM »
Post pic here.  Make it public.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
Where is the record pause button? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:49:19 PM by ts »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2015, 08:56:27 PM »

There isn't one. It shows the levels without hitting record, so no pause is needed
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
Pics had been sent immediately with a full report!  Hope I get some satisfaction from this ordeal.

They have a separate service center just for the DR-70D and a separate dept that sends them out after repair or warranty.  To many cooks in the kitchen scenario.

I'm sorry you've had this experience with Tascam and the 70d. I just couldn't pass up on the $200 deal. I just hope Tascam takes full responsibility of the situation and send you a NEW unit ASAP, because that is bullshit!

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »
Go on Twitter and complain about it. I'm not on there but I've heard that gets a quick response.

So I got my DR-70d today. Similar initial reactions as some I've read on here. It's real small, but feels like quality build. The single XLR on the side is awkward. But I knew the size and specs when I got it so I'm happy so far. Can't wait to try it out, hopefully here very soon.

I plan on running my Naks and Teacs into the XLR/TRS inputs as well as my CA-14s into the ext in. Sounds like I could possibly run the CAs > Line in on the recorder's phantom power, but I'm used to using the STC preamp so I'll probably just keep using the pre to save battery. Also, the recorder can't typically be 5' from the mics. I like that the XLR inputs can take TRS 1/4" as well. Didn't think I would ever have a use for the XLRs > 1/4 that came with the Naks.

I've got it testing right now with my 3200 mAh charger. Been going 2h 34m so far with 4 channels. I won't report back with all the specifics because it sounds like that's already readily available. I'm a little confused though. Some have mentioned seeing bars. Is that on the batt or the recorder? Because my screen only shows the USB symbol in the upper right corner. I don't see how I can tell how much battery power is left. When turning the unit on on USB power, it asks me to select between USB BUS and STORAGE. I chose USB Bus.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2015, 09:27:37 PM »

There isn't one. It shows the levels without hitting record, so no pause is needed

Cool Beans! The record/pause on the M10 bit my ass more than once. ;D On my 702 I have it set to instantly start recording.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
Ravpower external battery and others display bars on the battery to show remaining power.

Offline pongagt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »
Ravpower external battery and others display bars on the battery to show remaining power.

^ I see, thanks. I'll have to pick one up. My cheap battery seems to be working fine but I'd like something with a reading. It's at 3h 45m now, so it seems it will be sufficient for a single night at least.

So when I'm running Naks into this via XLR > TRS, I'm assuming I'll want the mic in option just like on the dr-2d. What about other settings? It sounded like someone earlier in the 50 pages (yeah I read it all today) mentioned that the HIGH setting was way too much. Usually the outputs are low on those mics, requiring a ton of amplification in post, so I'm wondering how this unit will compare to the DR-2d. The mics are operating on 12V each by the way. Guess it will be nice to have those adjustable levels.

Here's something that I don't think has been addressed in the threads - Can you adjust levels separately on the stereo ext in? Not sure I have a need for that but it seems like it would be good to know.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »

Here's something that I don't think has been addressed in the threads - Can you adjust levels separately on the stereo ext in? Not sure I have a need for that but it seems like it would be good to know.

Yes, channels 1/2 should be able to tweak levels on EXT Stereo IN. Its just another input!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »

Yes, channels 1/2 should be able to tweak levels on EXT Stereo IN. Its just another input!
And personally I see this as a problem, since now it's tricky to get the two channels exactly balanced.  That's why I put a request for ganged gain controls for stereo pairs in the Firmware Requests section of the FAQ.  I don't think the Tascam rep is active here anymore though...
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2015, 11:07:25 PM »
Last Active:
    April 19, 2015, 10:59:26 PM
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com