Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rega RP3 or...  (Read 2343 times)

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Rega RP3 or...
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
Looking for alternatives to an RP3 to investigate. After a too long absence will be making the jump back into vinyl real soon.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Rega RP3 or...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
Have you decided whether or not you want a suspended 'table?  Any budget in mind?  What's the rest of your system like, and what do you value sonically?

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
Table, cartridge and phono pre collectively around $2,000. No decision on suspended, likely flexible. Current system is rogue audio stereo 90 amp, sonic frontiers sfl1 pre, Dali Suite 2.8 speakers(the next upgrade). Primary playback source until I get a new table  is a squeezebox duet with modified dac. As you can tell from the system I like the warmth of tubes, but opted for a tube system that preserved a good bit of accuracy and bass response (at least for the tier of gear). Thanks for any input.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:06:29 PM »
The best thing about the rega is the arm. The rest of the table is a big compromise and one could do much better, unless you buy a used one for $300 or so. Then you can upgrade things one step at a time. New platter, subplatter, pulley and plinth.

There are other option that I would go with, one being a VPI, with AQ arm and glider cart that has been on one of the audio sites.....asking price is around 950.

There are other options, too. Right now I'm completely modding and rebuilding a Thoren td 150....however it will would push your allotment beyond your budget.

Well Tempered Record player or classic is in your range and can be had for 750-1200...with a cartridge. Takes some searching but they are there.

I think I just saw a Rega 6 or 7 with  benz for around 1000, too. Much better table than the 3.

Feel free to pm if you want more help.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »
Right now audiogon has a tricked out rega p25 with a tecnoarm for 800. That is a steal and would keep you satisfied well into the future.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
I'd add that it also really depends on your level of TT expertise and how much you're willing to do tweaking and such. Rega stuff is fairly plug and play out of the box, lightweight, low-profile, etc. If you just want to get back in the game with something nice sounding and pretty easy to handle, I think the RP3 would treat you right. (I have an RP6). I don't doubt there are other options that might be "better" depending on what your definition of "better" is.

I'd also look at the Clearaudio Concept. I haven't used one, but I like the feature set and, again, the low profile.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com