Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Liquidating cassette/DAT collections  (Read 4632 times)

Offline to_taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Liquidating cassette/DAT collections
« on: October 31, 2011, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi all,

Some friends and I have live cassettes and DATs we'd like to get rid of. What have folks here done in similar circumstances?

JJ

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Liquidating cassette/DAT collections
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
Typically what people have done is offer them up for free with the person accepting the tapes paying shipping.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
Typically what people have done is offer them up for free with the person accepting the tapes paying shipping.

This.  And, if you find the right person, getting that person to transfer some of them for you. 

I gave my entire DAT collection to a collector/taper I knew, and in return got him to transfer (to a HDD I provided) the masters and a couple other shows that were special to me.  It worked out to maybe like 50 or so transfers, which was a lot, but a fraction of what was contained in the collection.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline jethro bo deen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
There is still much interest in  high quality  (TDK/MAXELL/SONY) cassette tapes  from mainly the 1979 - 1992 or 1993 era   among a very loyal   ANALog    group   known    as     TapeheadsDOTNET.
http://www.tapeheads.net/index.php   

Most of us,  overlook that still anybody these days is using DAT or Cassette,  but there is a strong loyal  Cassette following.   It has gotten even  stronger in their desire to find  useable quality Cassette/Reel-To-reel/useable DATs for those that use them.
Perhaps,  many of you are not aware that the MAJOR brands, no longer produce anything on cassette that is  Quality tape anymore.
Only  Sony HF  normal tape,  TDK D,  normal  and  a TDK SA tape which is the only TypeII tape around these days,  and it's no longer TDK's  design or old SA formulation.        Metal tape has been gone for almost 10 years.     The last era of XLII Maxell cassettes were no match for the pre 1995 tapes.

So,  what else is left in Cassette tape for   ANALog   tape lovers,   well  about the best tape in existence is  National Audio Company (in Missouri)  has   quality type II high bias    747COBALT tapes  &  751CHROMEtapes  which are  sold unlabeled/unboxed/without cases or J-cards.     It is the best new tape around in 2011.
There is huge demand for  ancient  NOS   TDK/Maxell/SONY  cassettes from circa 1980's.      Seen what ebay prices have been for  Metal tapes  and  even  Tdk SA-X   and  TDk-AD from  the eighties era?
USED Tape is  desirable,  these days,  as there is no other option for quality TDK/Maxell/Sony   cassette formulations.
Don't just toss out your cassettes.     People are hunting those tapes at thrift stores and flea-bay.   
I know it sounds crazy.
Check the postings at TapeheadsDOTNET  if you don't believe it.
Used Metal   &   top quality used TDK  & Maxell   type II tapes   and  any  type III  cassettes  are in demand these days.
The same holds true for Quality  used  Open Reel Tapes.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
I might be interested in the DATs...
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline mohammedsradio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »
I'd be interested in the cassettes...

Offline MULETAPER

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • ~Find Love Thru Music and Share It~
    • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:27:52 PM »
Ide be inteterested in both, to transfer and share.... dont care whats on them if they already dont exhist out there.... alwasys looking for old DATS and cassetess to transfer

I do more of this now then recording shows,and much more fun!
Beyerdynamic MC930's>Neumann KM184s>Tascam DR-680

Offline boilerinthebasement

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Boilerinthebasementmusic
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
I'd also be more than happy to transfer some DATs, and can do cassettes.
Let me know if you're interested.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:30:00 PM by boilerinthebasement »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
about the best tape in existence is  National Audio Company (in Missouri)  has   quality type II high bias    747COBALT tapes  &  751CHROMEtapes  which are  sold unlabeled/unboxed/without cases or J-cards.     It is the best new tape around in 2011.

Thanks for the tip.  I don't use cassette anymore....but still have the decks. you just never know....
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

ilduclo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
I'd also be more than happy to transfer some DATs, and can do cassettes.
Let me know if you're interested.

what bitb said, depending on what's on them.

Offline med9

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
I also can do several cassette to dat or hard drive transfers

...I have several decks and transfer methods could do maybe 6 dats at least per day. 6tb worth of hard drive space. I am sure they will make a nice home herein Oregon! I would share you u desire that or ? lmk pm or whatever

I have over 4000 dats as well still transferring as well
2 fostex d5's
1 tascam da-mkII
2 tasacm da-p1's
5 irivers I can use as optical transfer for dats.
1 sonmy dtc 700
1 panasonic sv3700
1 sony pcm r300
lots of mics, decks and preamps. and a few new toys to arrive soon!

hey bottom line I make nice recordings - sbd / aud.

Offline to_taper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses to my post. Sorry to be slow in responding.

A group of us in the Greater Toronto Area have been going through our tapes and dividing them up among ourselves and digitizing them. After we're done we will try to figure out what to do with the tapes (we are keeping all of our masters). As we go further through the process we may well find that help is needed and I'll put out a call for help.

I will sort thorugh my DATs at some point soon and see what can be offered up to good homes.

Regards,

John

Offline med9

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »
I have 8 decks and I am willing and able to make both analog and dat transfers as well as minidisc transfers. let me know
Thanks, Mike

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses to my post. Sorry to be slow in responding.

A group of us in the Greater Toronto Area have been going through our tapes and dividing them up among ourselves and digitizing them. After we're done we will try to figure out what to do with the tapes (we are keeping all of our masters). As we go further through the process we may well find that help is needed and I'll put out a call for help.

I will sort thorugh my DATs at some point soon and see what can be offered up to good homes.

Regards,

John
lots of mics, decks and preamps. and a few new toys to arrive soon!

hey bottom line I make nice recordings - sbd / aud.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.265 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com