Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Taper  (Read 43146 times)

Offline (((KB)))

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Taper
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2006, 04:07:10 PM »
I would have to point you towards the iriver hp120 instead of the NJB3. I'm somewhat bais though, since I've had problems w/ mine. Already replaced the HD in one, and the other seems to be going now too. Dispite my troubles, you may not have ANY problems.

There are other advantages to consider:

-Less expensive.
-I hear about less issues w/ the internal HD and/or overheating than   the NJB3
-It has 2 lossless options to transfer the recording off the unit: 1) usb -> computer
2) optical-out > stand-alone CD burner.

As far as the Pre-Amp/ ADC, I would agree with those who recommended the all-in-one Digi-modded Edirol UA-5. \f you can hold out 'till christmas, you'll be all set then.

-Kevin

C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2006, 07:25:52 PM »
Can you provide me with a link from Ebay for the h120 or h140?  I am coming up empty here for some odd reason.

Thanks a ton for your help in advance.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
Can you provide me with a link from Ebay for the h120 or h140?  I am coming up empty here for some odd reason.

Thanks a ton for your help in advance.

Some iHP-120s, same thing as the H-120.
Click
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »
Thanks so much.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2006, 06:45:51 PM »
Okay, I bought the Phantom.  I will need to switch it to the 48V when using, correct?

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2006, 11:12:03 AM »
Correct. 

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »
Okay, any suggestions other the Edirol for a Preamp?  I don't know if I'm going to be able to stretch $300. 

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2006, 12:12:41 PM »
Okay, any suggestions other the Edirol for a Preamp?  I don't know if I'm going to be able to stretch $300. 

Not too much 24bit Pre-amp/AD's out there for less than 300... you could get an Analog -> Digital Converter to control the levels, but these aren't Pre-amps per-sey.

Deneke AD-20 (20-bit/44.1khz)
Analog Input= xlr, Digital output= Optical, powered by 9v battery or external battery pack. Normally, these are $300 new, so anything $120 is a pretty good deal. The post says that there maybe something wrong w/ the power input, but it sounds like he was using a flaky battery pack/cable. You could always run the 9v battery anyway.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70077.0
Graham Patton ADC-20 (20-bit/44.1khz)
Analog Input= xlr, Digital output= AES3 xlr, BNC Coax
Not sure what he wants for it, but you maybe snatch it up for $100? GP use to sell these for 5x's that price new. Requires an external battery pack/charger unless you run AC. The other catch is that you need a Digital format converter to go from coax digital to optical digital or AES3 digital to Optical digital. For instance, my odl312/cable ran me $60. Biggest drawback I think is having to run and power an additional unit. This is similar to what I run (GP DMIC-20) just w/out the preamp electronics inside. Same issue w/ the DMIC-20, you need a DFC to get to optical, great sounding if you ask me though.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71607.0

Can't really think of anything else worth purchasing in the meantime. I would hold out for the UA-5 if possible.

-Kevin

One of my old fav's:

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2006, 04:13:17 PM »
How easy is the UA-5 to use?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »

extremly...the only part that took me anytime was learning to adjust the levels, b/c it doesnt have meter lights...only a single clip light...but i picked it up by the 2nd or 3rd time out with it...it quickly becomes second nature.  also, for about hte same price, I have this for sale, and it is super easy to run...as easy as the ua5, and is stealthable (if you need it), but its only 24bit...and needs a digital input on the recorder  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70630.0
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2006, 04:25:51 PM »

Easy.  Once powered on, its just a matter of adjusting the levels (right and left). 

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Wiggle

• Taperssection Member
  • So soft. Clearly meant to be loved by humans.
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2006, 04:27:05 PM »

Pretty damn simple. If I can use one.... anyone can.

I ran mine (BM2P+ mod) for the first time Friday night (Justin Rutledge CD release show) and it sounds far better than anything I've used before. It cost me more money than I initially wanted to spend as I had to buy the UA5, get it modded, buy a DVD battery to run it, SVU-1 for metering and, beg someone to do the whole 'reverse polarity' thing for me ( Thanks ;) ) but listening to that recording on the way home that night made it all worth it.
Open: SP C4/MSH-1O > Nick's Picks hydra cables > BM2P+ UA-5 > iRiver H120
Optional: Giant Squid cards > iRiver H120

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »
extremly...the only part that took me anytime was learning to adjust the levels, b/c it doesnt have meter lights...only a single clip light...but i picked it up by the 2nd or 3rd time out with it...it quickly becomes second nature...
Piece of cake. You could D/L the manual also if you haven't already just to familiarize your self w/ the unit options:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Manual_EdirolUA5.pdf
Someone mentioned running a level meter box... comes in handy when the recorder has an inaccurate metering system, but I think the iriver's meters will be fine. Just keep track of where the levels hit on the iriver when the Ua-5 clips and shoot for something slightly below that and you'll be good.

-K
One of my old fav's:

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2006, 09:24:34 PM »
I literally have no experience in leveling or microphones.   I'm basically going into this blindly.  Any tips with the UA5.

Also, what do I have to do with the iRiver?  Any settings?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I suppose that's what this thread's all about.  :)

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Something
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2006, 10:46:06 PM »
The iRiver FAQ thread in the Archive section ought to answer almost every question you have.  It's very easy to get Rockbox installed and once it is, it's very easy to use.  The levels on the iRiver are very good, and you have a couple different looks you can use when you're recording, whichever suits you.  Monitoring levels is pretty easy when you look at it.  You want the levels hot (high), but not high enough to clip off a lot of your recording.  Rockbox has a clip light built in, so if you do clip, the backlight on the screen will light up and you'll know to knock them down a little.  You can definitely get the hang of it quickly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.199 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com