Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Taper  (Read 43175 times)

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
Re: New Taper
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2006, 08:23:44 AM »
Player was just used on the 21st to tape the Panic, everything was fine.  It must be my equip. 

I will check that out. 

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #166 on: November 04, 2006, 09:22:18 AM »
Also, I bought this JB3 used.  It didnt come with the software, anyone have any suggestions for me?  I have no way of getting this recording off.   :'(

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2006, 11:23:43 AM »
Also, I know you want to run Gov't Mule in Dec.  I would find a local bar that is taper-friendly and practice taping crappy local bands until you are familiar with your equipment before the Mule show...  That way you are familiar with your stuff before showing up at Mule. 

One thing to do at these practice sessions is try adjusting your levels at different points in the show.  Make notes on a small note pad.  Let's say you do song 1 and 2 at "normal" then song 3 and 4 running levels "hot " (higher than normal) and then run the next 2 "cold" (lower than normal).  When you get home, you can listen to the difference in each an gauge how "hot" you can run before your recording "clips" (gets all staticky from too much signal).

Terry

Maybe this goes without saying - but I'll throw it out there anyway: do everything Terry suggested, but also do it from different locations within the venue, i.e., in front of the stacks, at the tip of the triangle, back near the soundboard, etc.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2006, 01:46:10 PM »
Okay, so the 1/8th adapter wasn't a problem.  I tried running mic in instead of line and i got a little more bounce in my right level. Any ideas as to why it won't run line in correctly? 

I'll have clips of the tape soon to follow.

Offline Ryan Sims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #169 on: November 04, 2006, 02:07:05 PM »
What they're saying isn't really that you probably have a problem with the adapter, but that you might have a problem with the way it seats into the jack.  If that turns out to be the case, which it seems it might be if it works on mic-in, see the below.

From Brian Skalinder's JB3 FAQ:

[265] My stereo mini or optical mini connector doesn't quite fit properly in the female mini jack, what can I do?

Some users report poor results from stereo mini or optical mini connectors that don't quite fit properly in the female mini jack.  Low levels, mono signal, drop-outs, etc., may all be symptoms of this problem.  To ensure you don't have this problem, make sure your mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack.  Unless the mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack, you may encounter this problem in the field.  There are at least two solutions:

* Buy a different stereo or optical mini plug and see if it fits better
    * Use a Dremel or similar tool to sand down the plastic casing which prevents some mini connectors from seating properly in the female jack.  Thanks to David Klein for the directions paraphrased here (for David's complete set of directions with pictures, see http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/:
          o place a piece of masking tape over the female mini jack
          o put a tapered grinding tip on your Dremel
          o hold the NJB3 firmly and start to grind down the plastic
          o be careful not to grind the white input jack itself!
          o stop and use your finger to feel the ridge to tell when you're close to grinding the plastic flush with the face of the jack
          o clean off the NJB3
          o remove the masking tape
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
I trimmed it down, doesn't seem to work.  I ran a 1/8th->1/8th from my iPod to my JB3 (line in) and the levels were fine.  There's something in my equipment that's just not right.

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2006, 05:26:55 PM »
Also, I bought this JB3 used.  It didnt come with the software, anyone have any suggestions for me?  I have no way of getting this recording off.   :'(

I use a mac w/ "XNJB" software, so I don't even use the Creative PC Software that came w/ mine. I can send it to 'ya if you can't D/L it from the 'net. FYI it's a copy from an Ebay company, not the original. PM me w/ you address info.

Sorry to hear you're having a channel drop-out on 'ya... run some rig tests in your house in front of a speaker... wiggle connects etc. and see what is the culpret. Done that myself many of times.

-Kevin
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »
The recording came out okay though :(.  You can download it here, I'm just really sad it didn't have that right channel.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=501556

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »
Okay, I'm frustrated as all hell here, because I have no idea what is wrong.  I have everything set up, Line In recording:

I put on the mics and tap the left mic, the left level raises.  I tap the right mic, the left level raises?!?!?! What's going on here?

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:06 PM »
Okay, I'm frustrated as all hell here, because I have no idea what is wrong.  I have everything set up, Line In recording:

I put on the mics and tap the left mic, the left level raises.  I tap the right mic, the left level raises?!?!?! What's going on here?

Wiggle cables (carefully) and see what causes to drop out the left channel. You might want to label L, R mic cables, etc.

-K
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2006, 08:33:29 PM »
Also, I know you want to run Gov't Mule in Dec.  I would find a local bar that is taper-friendly and practice taping crappy local bands until you are familiar with your equipment before the Mule show...  That way you are familiar with your stuff before showing up at Mule. 
Good idea, but I think he is to young for bars like myself  :)

Gunny Highway:  Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

There are other things that will allow the opportunity to tape that don't involve clubs...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2006, 08:39:13 PM »
The right mic works.  Anytime i tap it, the left meter spikes!  I don't get it.  When I have headphones in there too, the sound only comes out the left ear even though im tapping the right mic.

Im so confused.  :(

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2006, 08:59:23 PM »
The right mic works.  Anytime i tap it, the left meter spikes!  I don't get it.  When I have headphones in there too, the sound only comes out the left ear even though im tapping the right mic.

Im so confused.  :(

your mics are recording to mono
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2006, 09:18:18 PM »
But I have it as Line in?!?!?!

:(

Can I fix this?

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2006, 09:21:31 PM »
Okay, so Im insanely confused.  I just tried Mic In (Mono) and it's bouncing both levels. 

Any suggestions are insanely welcomed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com