Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cold Weather=Broken Tape Blues  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Md2545

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I am not a number I am a free man!!!
Cold Weather=Broken Tape Blues
« on: October 12, 2006, 06:56:23 PM »

So last night I was taping a (stellar!!) show and my D8 started acting all funny, It would start to record then turn off. I switched batteries and still the same problem. So of corse they start the show just as I figured out that the tape was broken inside the machine :o. I just bought these tapes off of ebay used and I got a great deal (90M tapes if it matters). The box they came in says they were bought back in 1999. I don't really think that it would really matter how old they are (maybe it does, I've used some old tapes before). What I do think was the cause of it was the cold weather were having here in IL. The show was in Chicago and I live about 40 miles west of there so the tapes were in my car around an hour. What I've come here to ask is how much does the cold weather and or age effect the tapes. Should I start blasting the heat on these tapes on they way up to the show to get them ready for the magic (not enough to damage them but just enough to keep them warm) I might be answering my own questions but I'd appreciate any tips or experiences on this subject, and don't worry when rig one goes out I've always got number two running just to cover my ass in case of things like this happening.
DSM-6S/M>PA-6>Sony PCM D50 or Sony TCD-D100

DPA 4060 > Core-Sound B.Box > Sony PCM-D50

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Cold Weather=Broken Tape Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:11:28 PM »
I would never reuse a tape, not worth the money to save a couple of bucks and risk losing a show. Since I am in the southwest, I really do not have a issue with the cold. Blasting heat I do not think is a good alternative, are you unpacking your tapes before the show?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »
Cold weather DEFINITELY affects tapes...I had one snap on me after leaving it in the car overnight after a show in Maine in November. Fortunately it was a clean break and it snapped at the end (never rewound it) so I spliced it back together, transferred it, and never played the tape again.

For info on how to fix a broken tape, check here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=10942.0
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
90M tapes are thinner as well FWIW.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »
Was the deck left out in the cold?  Cold weather causes condensation (sp?) on the head drum which may have cause the tape to break in the deck. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com