Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719  (Read 18620 times)

Offline rdflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
Re: Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007, 07:17:58 PM »
all these answers have been covered many times under the "iriver team" threads  ;D

carry on, i like being refreshed  8)
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2007, 01:27:16 AM »
after installation you MAY install the REP(recording enhancement pack)..just extract the files to your Iriver´s root directory and say "YES" for overwriting files:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.scarratt/Rockbox/rockbox.zip
hey, Arni, I'm pretty happy with the "normal" builds, they do the work very good. But I want to try the REP...does it have any bugs or it works flawlessly?
I always used Mmmm´s most recent REP-builds and ha NO problems at all. taped a lot since I got my H140 almost 1 year ago. ;)
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline MadMaster

• Taperssection Regular
  • Live from Amsterdam
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2007, 06:05:30 AM »

Thanks a ton! If I have any questions, I'll ask.

As usual...  ;)
Microphones: SP-CMC-2 cardioids / MM-MCSM-4 cardioids
Batteryboxes: SP-SPSB-8 / MM-EBM-1
Recorders: Edirol R09HR / iRiver H120 / iRiver H140 / Sony MZ-RH10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 06:49:21 AM »
The only problem with the Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719 combination is the Sony ECM-719. Don't ever use a Sony mic. The MZ-RH1 or the iHP-120/140 will make great recording when combined with an inexpensive battery box (I use Chris Church's tiny one-about $52 on E-Bay) and Sound Professionals or Church Audio omnis or cardiods costing around $120 or less. Do not use a mic that attaches directly to the recorder-get a corded one. This avoids any chance of recording noise made by the recorder. If what you are recording is fairly quiet, you may need a pre-amp instead of a battery box (or you can try battery box into mic in instead of into line in), but this is rarely a problem with rock concerts. It is very stealthy, and if you need to record longer than 94 minutes without changing discs, to my ears Hi-SP is basically indistinguishable from PCM. With Hi-SP you can record over 7 hours on 1 disc. The battery will last over 7 hours in that mode also.

I have made great recordings with my MZ-RH1. I don't care for having to use Sony's software to upload, but it's not that hard to get used to. The only thing I really dislike a lot about the MZ-RH1 is that when using line in (which is generally best when you have a battery box), the recorder automatically starts a new track when the volume drops enough. They can easily be combined and tracks put where you want them with audio editing software, however. 

I also recently picked up the iHp-120 and installed Rockbox. That shows great promise as well, but I haven't yet made a recording with it combined with a battery box (or pre-amp), so I can't report on it personally. From what I see on the internet, it will make great recordings with a pre-amp (the Church Audio ST-9100, which I have ordered, is highly recommended) and probably, in many cases, with just a battery box. I like the fact that you can upload the iHp-120 recordings by drag & drop and that it doesn't arbitrarily start new files when the volume drops. (I made one recording using just the recorder's internal pre-amp. The loud parts sounded great, but the quiet parts were fairly noisy.)
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
I also recently picked up the iHp-120 and installed Rockbox. That shows great promise as well, but I haven't yet made a recording with it combined with a battery box (or pre-amp), so I can't report on it personally. From what I see on the internet, it will make great recordings with a pre-amp (the Church Audio ST-9100, which I have ordered, is highly recommended) and probably, in many cases, with just a battery box. I like the fact that you can upload the iHp-120 recordings by drag & drop and that it doesn't arbitrarily start new files when the volume drops. (I made one recording using just the recorder's internal pre-amp. The loud parts sounded great, but the quiet parts were fairly noisy.)
grats to your gear, I´m using the same....2xRH1 + h140 rockboxed. ;)
I love both.
Yesterday I recorded the same song from cd on my home stereo with 2 RH1s...1st in PCM and 2nd in HI-SP.
Afterwards I listened to the recorded tracks not knowing and I really could NOT tell the difference ...what was PCM and what HI-SP.
Before this test I thought it must be audible, but to my ears it isn´t ;).
Using the RH1-mic-in for silent or moderate loud concerts has the advantage of not needing an external preamp ;).
SO this is the ultra-stealth gear setup.
1 RH1+bbox+HLSO(or SP-CMC-4U).
keep on taping! ;)

nameloc01

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 01:26:20 PM »
The only problem with the Sony MZ-RH1 and ECM-719 combination is the Sony ECM-719. Don't ever use a Sony mic. The MZ-RH1 or the iHP-120/140 will make great recording when combined with an inexpensive battery box (I use Chris Church's tiny one-about $52 on E-Bay) and Sound Professionals or Church Audio omnis or cardiods costing around $120 or less. Do not use a mic that attaches directly to the recorder-get a corded one. This avoids any chance of recording noise made by the recorder. If what you are recording is fairly quiet, you may need a pre-amp instead of a battery box (or you can try battery box into mic in instead of into line in), but this is rarely a problem with rock concerts. It is very stealthy, and if you need to record longer than 94 minutes without changing discs, to my ears Hi-SP is basically indistinguishable from PCM. With Hi-SP you can record over 7 hours on 1 disc. The battery will last over 7 hours in that mode also.

I have made great recordings with my MZ-RH1. I don't care for having to use Sony's software to upload, but it's not that hard to get used to. The only thing I really dislike a lot about the MZ-RH1 is that when using line in (which is generally best when you have a battery box), the recorder automatically starts a new track when the volume drops enough. They can easily be combined and tracks put where you want them with audio editing software, however. 

hmm. never heard of that happening, is it something that can be changed with a menu setting? groups setting? something like that? neither of mine do that, either because they are not set to, or just dont, but i find it weird that the "new and improved" rh-1 would do something as dumb as that,when my older models do not.

Offline dunebug81

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »
hmm. never heard of that happening, is it something that can be changed with a menu setting? groups setting? something like that? neither of mine do that, either because they are not set to, or just dont, but i find it weird that the "new and improved" rh-1 would do something as dumb as that,when my older models do not.

When I tape off the board it happens every now and then but when using mics it never gets quiet enough to do an autosplit.  I dont think its a feature you can turn off but merging the tracks is easy enough to do in post on the computer or right on the disc.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline P-Man

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:24 PM »
Just an update, I ordered the ihp120 and Church Audio cardoid mics and battery box.

If I'm recording a comedian, should I use mic in or line in? (does it have this option? I haven't got it yet.)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2007, 06:07:08 PM »
Just an update, I ordered the ihp120 and Church Audio cardoid mics and battery box.

If I'm recording a comedian, should I use mic in or line in? (does it have this option? I haven't got it yet.)
mic+line-in are the same on the iriver ;).
there is only 1  1/8"(3.5mm)jack.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com