Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-07, Part 2  (Read 44194 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Roland R-07, Part 2
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2019, 06:41:53 AM »
anybody put a lot of miles on v 1.10 successfully?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline bty670

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »
Talk about being behind times, I only just realised that I was still on 1.09 firmware and 1.10 was available since March.  ::)

The ability to choose different low-level margins between -6 -12 and -20 is very useful. I've changed it to -12 on mine.

I have to say this little recorder is now my go to unit for stealth these days. With the dual recording I just set it to 48 and then forget. The fact that the bluetooth would disconnect didn't bother me because I never had a need to check, I've managed to get decent recordings every time and only once had to use the -20 backup.

Having said that, my phone is a Samsung S9+. I've just updated the software on an old iPhone 5s, and installed the R-07 app on it and noticed that it remains stable on that unlike on my Samsung. The iPhone 5s is the oldest and smallest phone that can run the app, so I might start using that for concerts.

I agree about the major advantage of 1.10 being the ability to select different db levels for the dual-recording.

I've run my R07 for several shows and am incredibly happy with it. I've never had any issue with the bluetooth disconnecting - including once controlling the unit via my iPhone 7 from across a bar.

I've just installed the R07 app onto my wife's Apple Watch to experiment with that. The ability to control levels without even having to take out your phone would be a great advantage (despite the phone being super easy).

Offline Blakeq

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2019, 12:34:26 AM »
Head up. The black version of the recorder is $90 at Amazon.  Other places have it marked down to $100. 

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2019, 08:59:06 AM »

I've just installed the R07 app onto my wife's Apple Watch to experiment with that. The ability to control levels without even having to take out your phone would be a great advantage (despite the phone being super easy).

Even with my R07 comfortably stowed away in my carrying bag ... I still try to be careful when I open the app on my iPhone, because the app makes it quite clear that you're recording.  Of course, most people will assume it's an app for recording with the phone's internal mic -- and even though we all know recordings made that way are basically useless ... it could still be problematic in >:D mode.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
Even with my R07 comfortably stowed away in my carrying bag ... I still try to be careful when I open the app on my iPhone, because the app makes it quite clear that you're recording.  Of course, most people will assume it's an app for recording with the phone's internal mic -- and even though we all know recordings made that way are basically useless ... it could still be problematic in >:D mode.

I think the dual recording levels is far more useful than remote app for stealth conditions. I now go in with the levels pre-set and never look at the device, or the app, or worry about levels at all.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
^ +t
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2019, 09:32:53 PM »
Having said that, my phone is a Samsung S9+. I've just updated the software on an old iPhone 5s, and installed the R-07 app on it and noticed that it remains stable on that unlike on my Samsung. The iPhone 5s is the oldest and smallest phone that can run the app, so I might start using that for concerts.

I have found the remote works alot better with iOS than with Android.
With my Samsung Note 8, it takes a long time for the app to repick up the bluetooth signal and eventually it could not be connected during the gig.

With my iPhone 8, zero problems, no lag and never got disconnected.
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline Niels

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2019, 02:42:50 AM »

I have found the remote works alot better with iOS than with Android.
With my Samsung Note 8, it takes a long time for the app to repick up the bluetooth signal and eventually it could not be connected during the gig.

With my iPhone 8, zero problems, no lag and never got disconnected.

Good point. With many of these new complex devices, we often forget to include possibly important details when reporting issues.
Besides the deck firmware version, app version, memory card - also smart device OS type/version and the smart device hardware may have significance in identifying an issue.
If undisclosed, we risk talking past one another.
Roland R-07 -> FEL Communications Clippy EM172 Omnis or pair of RĂ˜DE Lavaliers.
iPhone 14 -> Shure MV88 or Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Further to my comment about the App losing connection on my Samsung S9+ but remaining stable on my old iPhone, I can now report that on my new Samsung S10+ it seems to be stable too. So it really does seem to vary from phone to phone.

Having said that the dual recording with safety track means I don't check during stealth mode.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline guitard

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2020, 08:10:51 PM »
What are baseline settings for the R-07 when recording a rock show of average loudness with regard to limiter and low cut?  For the R-09HR, I always had the limiter and low cut turned off, so for the first few times I've used it, I did the same with R-07.  Just wondering if I should change.

Also -- I have read in the two R-07 threads about "mic in" and "line in" but I can't figure out how to choose between the two with the R-07.  Of course, with the R-09HR, there were two separate plug-ins for this, so it was easy.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- thanks.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
What are baseline settings for the R-07 when recording a rock show of average loudness with regard to limiter and low cut?  For the R-09HR, I always had the limiter and low cut turned off, so for the first few times I've used it, I did the same with R-07.  Just wondering if I should change.

Also -- I have read in the two R-07 threads about "mic in" and "line in" but I can't figure out how to choose between the two with the R-07.  Of course, with the R-09HR, there were two separate plug-ins for this, so it was easy.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- thanks.

I think the levels are hugely dependent on what the rest of your setup is like too.
I run mine at levels 50 to 58, with my AT ES943 cards. Limiter and roll-off are off.

When you plug your mics to mic/aux in, it just simply means the recorder will not use the onboard mics anymore. In theory, it should be line in, if the setting to supply power to the mics re off. I hope someone else can verify what I said.
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2020, 09:37:51 AM »

you cant. gain topology is determined by input level setting, IIRC somewhere around 50-60 the noise floor increases suddenly as if its internally switching from line-in to mic-in. if you care to know, youd have to look back at my old post measuring the noise floor to find the exact spot. otherwise make sure plug in power is off in the menu, plug it in and set levels appropriately, thats all
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline guitard

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »

I think the levels are hugely dependent on what the rest of your setup is like too.
I run mine at levels 50 to 58, with my AT ES943 cards. Limiter and roll-off are off.

I run AT853 cards with a Church preamp (was a CA-9100 until recently when I switched to a CA-Ugly II).  I rarely go over 30 for an input level with this arrangement.

When you plug your mics to mic/aux in, it just simply means the recorder will not use the onboard mics anymore. In theory, it should be line in, if the setting to supply power to the mics re off. I hope someone else can verify what I said.

When you say "setting to supply power to the mics to off,"are you referring to the "Plug In Power" setting in the "Input" menu?

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »
Has anyone else had the SD card slot falling off (and being lost)?.

I did a quick search to see if I can buy a replacement, but could not find one.

I have contacted Roland they advise the part is 17042184 and has to be ordered via official parts reseller.   It is not covered under the extended warranty - so will have to see how much it will cost.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:42:31 PM by kylieshotpants »

Offline GroundHog420

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2020, 01:23:04 PM »
Hi there - I recently had an odd experience with an R-07 that I can't get my head around, and I'm hoping this might ring a bell with someone else in this thread.

I purchased this unit a little while back from another TS-er, who even included a mini-SD card with the last show they had recorded on it. Using some spare room on that same card (a Samsung something or other... sorry, not at home right now), I ran a few field tests at home, using a pair of CA mics (I forget which model, had 'em for years), and determined that everything was working fine. Shortly after that, I purchased a set of AT-853 mics w/4.7 mod, from another TS-er, and ran a couple similar test - again, no problem.

I recently recorded a show where I decided go go semi-stealth, mostly for convenience, using the CA mics, since I never got around to getting clips for the AT-853s. The result was a stellar recording. The other night, I recorded an acoustic set in a little cafe, and ran open, using the AT 853s on a short stand, and a different mini-SD card (SanDisk Class 10 32GB). the result was something that resembles a cassette recording riddled with dropouts - not intermittent, but very evenly spaced throughout the recording.

I can't imagine that the SanDisk card is the cause of the issue, but would that cause something like what I've described? In all my years of recording, this is a new one on me. Any ideas? Thanks for any insights, J.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com