Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone Problem - Neumann KM184  (Read 12546 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Microphone Problem - Neumann KM184
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »
The XLR connectors inside my Microtech Gefell M300's rattle when there is no cord attached. When I sent them to Germany for service I mentioned it and the told me it's they way they are supposed to be. None of my other mics do that, but I tend to believe that the folks at Gefell know what they are doing.  ;)

I have seen others do this as well - certainly I have seen it on some Neumann mics. - a loose connector in the mic. means that it mates properly with any make of cable connector and that the pins are less likely to get bent and damaged.

Once plugged together, it does not rattle and is a good tight connection.

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
"There is nothing printed on it."

Any idea on the neumann question? Why would mine have the serial # printed inside the connector on what seems to be a rubber ring around the pins? Thanks
Mics: Neumann SKM 184, AKG C1000
Pre Amps: Naiant Big Box & Little Box, Blue Tube DP
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4n, Zoom F4

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:37 AM »
"There is nothing printed on it."

Any idea on the neumann question? Why would mine have the serial # printed inside the connector on what seems to be a rubber ring around the pins? Thanks

Neumann serial numbers are engraved into the microphone - sometimes on the bottom outside edge of the XLR.

Some Sennheiser microphones had the serial number printed on a plastic disk that sits at the bottom of the XLR - this is a thin white plastic disk with three holes for the XLR pins - it is *not* a "rubber ring".  I do not know if Neumann also started using this method recently.

The rubber ring we have been talking about in the Neumann mics was wavy and not a smooth circle.  It was to prevent rattling when Switchcraft connectors were used.

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 05:39:32 PM »
I do not know if Neumann also started using this method recently.

Thanks again John for your reply. I bought my km184 set a couple of years ago (new out of the box). That's how they look with the serial numbers printed in white with the model name: km 184 on a little black disk that surrounds the three pins. I think it might be wise to just leave them be, considering the xlr fit is a minor inconvenience. Just makes the breakdown at the end of the evening a little frustrating, when up on a ladder! Let me know if you run across any new info.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
I do not know if Neumann also started using this method recently.

Thanks again John for your reply. I bought my km184 set a couple of years ago (new out of the box). That's how they look with the serial numbers printed in white with the model name: km 184 on a little black disk that surrounds the three pins. I think it might be wise to just leave them be, considering the xlr fit is a minor inconvenience. Just makes the breakdown at the end of the evening a little frustrating, when up on a ladder! Let me know if you run across any new info.

This disk is NOT the rubber ring we are taking about and it has no bearing on the XLR fit.

The rubber ring we are talking about is a wavy rubber ring that goes round the outside edge deep inside the XLR on the mic.  If it's there it will be on top of the plastic serial number disk.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
I always thought my Neutrik -> KM184 connection was pretty tight.  Checked and I had the washers in there.  Removed them, and the XLRs connect and click much easier.   Great info!!!

Interesting to note that 1 Neutrik XLR connector is still pretty tight for each mic, wouldn't expect that kind of variation in the Neutriks...

Here are couple of pictures of the washer*.  Comes right out.  Under that there's no "white ring", just a black rubber looking labeled KM184 and the S/N at the base.

* pending figuring out how to post an image again...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:09:20 PM by KenH »
retired

Offline wvmaine

• Taperssection Regular
    • Archive.org
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
Thanks...mine didn't come with those for some reason. Neutrik xlr fit is still tight. This thread has helped though.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
Interesting to note that 1 Neutrik XLR connector is still pretty tight for each mic, wouldn't expect that kind of variation in the Neutriks...
At the base of the XLR where it meets the mic is another rubber washer.  Reseating this washer solved this issue.   Loving the crisp click of a solid connection being made...  :laugh:
retired

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Loving the crisp click of a solid connection being made...  :laugh:

Me too!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com