Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JZ Microphones BT-201 samples  (Read 13383 times)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
JZ Microphones BT-201 samples
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »
This is the thread I will be posting samples of these mics in.  My first impressions of these is that they are very true to the source.  So where the beyers and similar mics can often mask the sounds of a bad room with a pleasant warmth, these mics are pretty detailed and could be considered somewhat unforgiving.  If what you're looking for is a truthful representation of the sound in the room, these mics can certainly give it to you.

Attached are the first two samples, both using subcard capsules.  The room sound for these wasn't the greatest, but what was captured is pretty much exactly what I heard from where I was sitting.

Sample 1 is subcards -> Mackie Onyx pre -> MT
Sample 2 is subcards -> Oade CM R-44 (no processing except dither with MBIT+)

Sample 1 is Johnny Neel & Criminal Element at a tiny little joint here in town called Windows Off The Cumberland.
Sample 2 is Jonell Mosser & The Nicotine Idols at 3rd & Lindsley Bar & Grill.

Both were recorded FOB about 10 feet from the stage (not exactly sure though, as I didn't record the Johnny Neel sample)

I will be posting a subcard and a card sample with the first rig hopefully today or tomorrow.

Incidentally, I do have one matched pair of these mics available right now (at a discounted price because they are a demo pair  ;D) if you like what you hear and/or want to take a chance on these.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 12:47:04 PM by TNJazz »
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: JZ Microphones BT-201 samples
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
WOW very nice sound.  To my ears...They sound very balanced with maybe a slight dip in the midrange...Crispy highs, not sure I have ever heard highs like that.  They have a very distinct sound to my ears.  And finally they have a nice round bottom end....Like you said  the dip could have been the room.  But they sound very nice indeed...These are sure to become a taper favorite.....

Peace OOK

DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
hey
can you please enlighten us to what the new JZ mics are

where are they from?
who makes them?
are they your new line of mics that you are producing?

man.... what .....are ........they?

any pics?

inquiring minds want to know
 ;D
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »
Sounds nice.

So now that you have used them, what are your thought on the magnetic capsule attachment?
Rugged enough for what we do?

I wish you would stop finding all of these new mics, it's killing my savings account.   ;D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
Sounds nice.

So now that you have used them, what are your thought on the magnetic capsule attachment?
Rugged enough for what we do?

I wish you would stop finding all of these new mics, it's killing my savings account.   ;D

For open taping the magnetic capsule is no problem at all.  If they do design actives for these, I don't know that I would put them in a hat.  I would not be worried about putting them on a stand though, that's for sure.  The pin/magnet combo is surprisingly solid.  The best part is you can swap capsules in less than 10 seconds!

Phantom off, pull both caps off, pop two new ones back on, phantom back on and voila!  No more "screwing" around (pun intended).   :P

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »
oh
here:
http://www.jzmic.com/?view=8&id=39

very interesting...
from the designer of Violet
I see....
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:01:59 PM »
what I hear up top is "air."

Very open and pleasing on the ears.  None of that nasty simbilance that causes me fatigue to the ears that a certain very poplular brand hear on ts causes me.

I like what I hear, Dirk.  These are a winner.   :)

I wanna borrow your pair next time I up there taping  ;)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Jon -- could you make a comparison of these relative to the Milabs?  Dirk mentions they are not warm like the Beyers but are detailed instead, so that gets me wondering about the Milab vm44's.  Since you've run both, I'm curious to here your take on them.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »
What would make the samples really meaningful is if there were another track with it of the same setup at the same time but comparison mic.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:49:22 PM »
What would make the samples really meaningful is if there were another track with it of the same setup at the same time but comparison mic.

True that and I meant to do so, but I left the Nevaton MK49's at home by mistake and didn't feel like driving back to get them.  Not that it would really have mattered anyway, since not many here really know what THEY sound like either... :P

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:12:07 AM »

True that and I meant to do so, but I left the Nevaton MK49's at home by mistake and didn't feel like driving back to get them.  Not that it would really have mattered anyway, since not many here really know what THEY sound like either... :P

ROTFLMAO     -  Yup!
Nov schmoz kapop.

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
flipp -

I will revisit those samples soon (not at home and haven't been home in a few days really) and report back.  The jz mics are different than the milabs and are different from the beyers.  However, as I think the beyers (and the nevatons) are at opposite ends of the spectrum sonically, the jz  mics would be closer to the milab end.  Think, dark/bright.  I really need to revisit the sample to give a honest comparison.  Also, Dirk and I had a long conversation the other night.  What he hears and I hear are a little different.  However, both of us have very similar tastes when it comes to what our ears like in a microphone.  So, we shall see.  We had talked about doing some cross patching with different mics and different pres seeing as how we both have r-44's, his modded and mine not.  It will be interesting.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 12:25:38 PM »
The mid range is nice. I really like how the guitars are captured, and voices are represented well too. Nice tight low end, but I'd like to hear how the fair FOB for a band like WSP. I don't care for highs on either recording. The cymbal sound on both recordings bothers me with the hi-hat on the second recording being the worst offender.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »
The cymbal sound on both recordings bothers me with the hi-hat on the second recording being the worst offender.

Unfortunately this was what the room sounded like.  Washy annoying cymbal sound right where we were sitting.

I hope to capture some better sounding samples this weekend (room-wise).  I think the mics are capturing the sound of the room very nicely, unfortunately the sound was horribly off that night.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:27:11 PM by TNJazz »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com