Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best way to get rid of/minimize this static  (Read 1620 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
best way to get rid of/minimize this static
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
i'm going through some old tapes right now and i remember having this problem a bit here and there. best i can figure is it was cause by a bad connection somewhere in the chain. anyway, if someone could give an idea of how to at least knock it down as i don't think there's much i can do to get rid of it.

short flac attached.

edit: using wavelab5 if that helps.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: best way to get rid of/minimize this static
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »
Broadband intermittent noise.  Sounds like some kind of electrical interference to me.

I guess it depends on how much time you want to put into finding and correcting all the instances.  I don't know Wavelab & I'm just figuring out my way around Samplitude.  I suppose you could try to x-fade a eq reduced copy, try Wavelab's noise-reduction tools, or an external noise elimination plug-in tool.

I tried a couple quick things in Samp Master and the best was using the 'spectral cleaning' tool and selecting the noise visually on the FFT display.  Not sure if there is something equivalent in Wavelab.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »
there's only about a dozen spots and that was one of the worst. wl6 has a spectral editor but 5 is lacking it unfortunately.

using a declicker and a low pass filter i was able to eliminate it but it destroys the rest of it. i made 2 copies, 1 that eliminates all of it and one that gets rid of most of it. i'm trying to patch in clips now. most of them i should be able to fix this way i think but this first one is being a bitch. i might have to live a couple of them?

thanks for the suggestions.

i tried to give samp a try out a while ago but between the limitations of the demo and completely different interface i ended up just uninstalling it.     

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:02:09 PM »
Hope it works out.  Yeah the Samp learnin' curve is a bit of a mountain road.  I'm still down in the valley my self.  Diggin' the new FLAC support though.

[I could only post the mp3 here, I saved the FLAC version of my trial fix.. If you want it I'll e-mail it to you, just PM me]
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 10:04:27 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
well, i don't really like the way it came out. sorta sounds like a jet engine all revved up if you know what i mean. it does eliminate the sudden crackle so it is a little easier on the ears tho.

i might go back and try redrawing the wave before i start the splicing. maybe that way i can keep more of the original in the mix and be able to brighten it up a bit more? 

i do wish i had a chance to work on it with a spectral editor, that sounds like the best way to go with this.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
just for gp, what i ended up with for the sample i posted is at the end of track9 - hard to find here.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Not nearly as jarring as the original.  Thx for the follow up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com