Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My First Epic Fail  (Read 7541 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: My First Epic Fail
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »
Yep bummer. But take it as a learning experience.

Ditto on the Thomas Distributing, the matched charger and batts and on the low-self discharge AA's.

For the past year and a half I've been using the Maha low self discharge AA's and their 4 bay independent circuit charger, which handily comes with both a wall transfo and 12vdc car adapter and can do a slow or fast charge cycle.  I also use their higher voltage 9.6v rechargeables which require the dedicated Maha charger (4 bay, independent circuits, also runs off 12vdc).

The low self-dischargers have a slightly reduced milliamp hour capacity (they still run my R-09s for 6+ hours) but retain their charge for far longer than standard NiMH, with a shelf-life after charging similar to alkalines which is reassuring.

Importantly, I've had no power failures since switching to the rechargeables, though I still carry spares and still check voltage with a multi-meter before heading out if in question.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:32:34 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
so, best buy for 8 AA's and 2-3 9V's?  The Sanyo's with the Lacrosse charger?  Or do they have a 9V?  And does it need its own charger?
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
Shop it for AA's & charger if cost is a constraint.

But 9 volt rechagables are tricky.  Most '9v rechargeables' produce less than 9v and have significantly reduced power capacity.  The special higher 9.6v Maha's work fine in my Church Audio and DPA preamps though and are the only higher voltage rechargable 9v's I know of. They have their own special charger that is basically required for best results. They're the only ones I'd use, otherwise I'd just use disposable 9v's.  More choices with AA's.

This is all covered in under the remote power section of the site.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »
yeah i'll probably skip 9V recharges.  Thanks!

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline suites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »
i get about 5 hours running that same rig on regular alkalines

8+ if I get the lithiums  ;)

You must have gotten a bad batch of batteries unless of course you kept the backlight lit. That will run them down really quick.

OMG....I think I did have the backlight lite................sheeeeet...I will check my setting when I get home.

Come to think about it I thought it was odd that it was lite every time I looked at levels.

It's never easy.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »
Yeah, I dim the whole unit.

I do fresh batteries for the Edirol for every show.  Yeah, even if its a warm up band.  The 2 AA's are cheap, and the tickets expensive, so I ain't takin' chances.  A little more lead in the landfills won't hurt, right?

As for the 9v in the Preamp, the Preamps (I use an NBox) use  way less power than the Edirol.  So I keep those going for the whole night. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:39 PM »
Don't sweat it brutha - we've all effed one up from time to time. Leaving the recorder on pause, cables not plugged in nice and tight, losing power, forgetting to flip tape (dating myself) - the list goes on and on. But in the grand scheme of things, there always seems to be a "next" show to redeem ourselves.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:23:26 PM by doodee »
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline suites

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
Don't sweat it brutha - we've all effed one up from time to time. Leaving the recorder on pause, cables not plugged in nice and tight, losing power, forgetting to flip tape (dating myself) - the list goes on and on. But in the grand scheme of things, there always seems to be a "next" show to redeem ourselves.

OK I looked at the settings when I got home from work and I did have it right (10 seconds)...so now I think it WAS THE BATTERIES and NOT ME.

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »
Just look at it this way. You don't HAVE to tape. Anytime you get a tape of anything it's just a bonus to the show. :-). Hope you had fun, I saw Green Day in June and it was great!

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »
There will be shows where good karma is not present and there is a catastrophic mishap.  Just chalk it up to experience and keep trying.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Brian E.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
There will be shows where good karma is not present and there is a catastrophic mishap.  Just chalk it up to experience and keep trying.

Agreed.  I still sometimes kick myself for the Ben Folds show I lost since it was the best I've seen of him, but can't do anything.  So why worry.

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
Any chance you left the batteries or gear in the heat (say in your car on a hot miami day)?

Alkaline batteries will discharge MUCH faster above 90 degrees.  Don't let your batts fry in the car...

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 12:28:25 AM »

Forget to use the hold & manage to hit stop at the start of the show, or use that miraculous "3-sided" cassette.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com