Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Normalized recordings still sound quieter than studio albums.  (Read 7454 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Normalized recordings still sound quieter than studio albums.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 03:16:57 PM »
What Happens To My Recording When It's Played On The Radio?
-by Robert Orban, CRL/Orban & Frank Foti, Omnia Audio, June 2001.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Frequincy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I Am The Last Dinosaur
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the article Gutbucket. I remember reading this when I was in school and I'm sure I have a hardcopy somewhere in my notebooks.

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
In my car (which is only a factory stereo system, so obviously not the best guage) I sometimes can max out the volume on the stereo just to enjoy some of these concerts at a loud volume, whereas with almost any studio CD, I could probably never turn the volume that high without damaging my speakers and my hearing.

FWIW, even a studio mix is not going to sound as loud as a mastered studio mix.

If you are normalizing to the highest peak value that will increase the overall level, but that's not comparable to what's happening on commercial audio cd's. It's all about raising the RMS level, but also there is more to it than just RMS.

Here is a key factor as I see it: A recording isn't going to sound loud unless the dominant frequencies are in an area where our hearing is most sensitive. If the highs and lows are too loud, the recording is going to lack midrange and the perceived loudness will be lower. The trick is getting it balanced in such a way that the mids are quite dominant but yet you can hear the lows and highs enough. And if the lows are too high it will sound muddy... especially on small speakers. If the highs are too dominant the recording will sound thin. So it's about getting the right tonal balance.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »
What Happens To My Recording When It's Played On The Radio?
-by Robert Orban, CRL/Orban & Frank Foti, Omnia Audio, June 2001.

excellent writeup, thanks for the link  ;D
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 12:45:41 AM »
- What's this knob do?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »
The CDs that carry compression to the extreme use a technology in which the sound is processed in multiple frequency bands simultaneously, so that the signal is divided up and the average level is raised and kept high within each band before the signals are are summed back together again.

When you hear a recording like that over the radio, you're also hearing the processing that the radio station is applying--and radio stations do a large amount of applying. People tuning across the band (especially in their cars) stop on the stations that seem "strongest." In the battle for market share, ratings and advertiser dollars, the "loudest" sounding station often wins. Someone here posted a link to one of Bob Orban's papers--his various compressors were the standard weaponry for decades, and I think that he is none too comfortable with a lot of how they've been used.

But often it's more than just loudness--stations that are heavily into competition with other stations in their same market go for a distinctive "house sound," and if someone played you the same track recorded off the air from one radio station versus another, you could soon learn to tell which station had broadcast it, and as a faithful listener to one of these stations, nothing you would hear on another station would sound quite right to you.

(That says something, or it should, about the perceptual traps of "shootouts"--there are many ways and many reasons for human beings to become attached to things being a certain way, especially when we have no way to know the truth of a situation, and we are left to choose among various representations of an unknown set of circumstances. Come to think of it, rumors and Internet scams and conspiracy theories work that way, too.)

--best regards
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:32:15 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline optimisticpessimist

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »
Much thanks for all the great info!

Offline Seth01

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
New CD's with all that compression fatigue my ears.  Then I put on DSotM and all is good again.

Amen to that!
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 06:59:34 PM »
Metallica won the loudness war:
http://recordinghacks.com/2008/12/20/metallica-wins-the-loudness-wars/

Lars Ulrich

Listen, there’s nothing up with the audio quality. It’s 2008, and that’s how we make records. [Producer] Rick Rubin’s whole thing is to try and get it to sound lively, to get it to sound loud, to get it to sound exciting, to get it to jump out of the speakers. Of course, I’ve heard that there are a few people complaining. But I’ve been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds fuckin’ smokin’.

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »
my suggestion is to not worry about compression and buy a louder stereo if you want to turn it up more. same goes double for limiting. imo, squaring off the wave is little different than making mp3s. of course if it's just for yourself then, what ever floats your boat...

"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com