Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: eliminating DC offset causing clipping  (Read 2062 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
eliminating DC offset causing clipping
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:03:47 AM »
after working on a montage in wl5, the DC offset is off a bit particularly in the right channel. if i correct this i end up with 8 clipping points in that channel.

what would be the best way to handle this?
1. forget about the offset and let it be(.1756%/3953%).
2. save the correction and fix the clips.
3. note the clip points and lower the volume envelope in the montage around them.

i think 2. is the last one i want to go with. i'm mostly wondering if it's worth the trouble trying to correct this in the montage or just let it be?

for what it's worth, this is part of a project i'm working on cleaning up some old demo records. 
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: eliminating DC offset causing clipping
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:56:55 AM »
the DC offset is off a bit particularly in the right channel. if i correct this i end up with 8 clipping points in that channel.

It doesn't seem that this should be the case. I don't use wave lab, but does it have dedicated function for correcting DC Offset? If it does and it caused this to happen, why not just try using a High Pass Filter set to 10 Hz (or 20, if necessary). I do this in Audition and it eliminates or greatly reduces the DC Offset. It also reduces the overall level of the recording, so you need to add some gain afterward.

You could also try reducing the level of your entire file enough so that when you use whatever function you used to remove the DC Offset, the peaks aren't high enough to cause clipping.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: eliminating DC offset causing clipping
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
i changed my workflow some on this disc and forgot to correct the offset first. i'm also not talking about a large amount of gain being added. the rms level in the right channel(were all the clips are) actually goes down .01dB and it's unchanged in the left. the overall peaks on the other hand go up .03dB in the right and .02 in the left. 

unless i'm missing something, there's no way to set the master volume accurate enough, without messing up what i have, or going back and dropping that before rendering would be a good option.

i might try the hpf, but i'm not entirely sure that will help? i didn't need it on this disc but on others i needed to to use a lpf to clean them up.
i might be able to just ignore the clips afterall, i do on live recordings when i can't hear a difference, instead of usually making it sound worse trying to eliminate them. 
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com