Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Rig Would You Go With?  (Read 7216 times)

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Which Rig Would You Go With?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »
i have been very happy with the a/d in the r-09.... i would probably opt for the mics>v2>r-09

it is less to carry for a sound that should be similar if not better*.

(*note: i havent run the ua-5 at 24b, so maybe it is better than i remember at 16b)
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:53 AM »
Yeah, I know it.  Alot of people love those things...and I have to admit that I love the Apogee products too (see you've got both an AD2K and MME).

For clarity's sake, just want to remind that the Benchmark AD2K isn't an Apogee product.  Perhaps you're thinking of the AD1K (AD1000)?  I've always preferred the AD2K to the AD1K.  I'm sticking with my W+ UA5 > MTII selection, but if alternate gear is an option, I'd definitely vote for V2 > AD2K > MTII.

Right.  Thanks, I knew that Brian.  I didn't proofread my message before sending it and got the words a little messed up because I noted that the poster had in his collection both an AD2K and a mini-me.  My response was directed at the mini-me. 

I've owned the mini-mp and really like it alot.  For some time now, I've felt that if Apogee had repackaged the MMP and MME into something that was more accepted by the location recordist, those products would compete with the Grace products in terms of popularity with our group.  The form factor is the most popular reason people give for disregarding the MME/MMP, but seldom the sound. 

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
FWIW, I think I paid about $500 for my AD2K about 3-4 years ago - perhaps since then the value of this unit has increased but $1k seems pretty high.  I always thought the V2>AD2K soundsa was a great one and have always wanted to find a V2 for a price I could afford at a time I could afford it...those stars haven't aligned as of yet.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »
I have nothing to add, Steve. Just keep me in mind if you decided to sell the MT ;)
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »
Yeah, I know it.  Alot of people love those things...and I have to admit that I love the Apogee products too (see you've got both an AD2K and MME).

For clarity's sake, just want to remind that the Benchmark AD2K isn't an Apogee product.  Perhaps you're thinking of the AD1K (AD1000)?  I've always preferred the AD2K to the AD1K.  I'm sticking with my W+ UA5 > MTII selection, but if alternate gear is an option, I'd definitely vote for V2 > AD2K > MTII.

Right.  Thanks, I knew that Brian.  I didn't proofread my message before sending it and got the words a little messed up because I noted that the poster had in his collection both an AD2K and a mini-me.  My response was directed at the mini-me. 

I've owned the mini-mp and really like it alot.  For some time now, I've felt that if Apogee had repackaged the MMP and MME into something that was more accepted by the location recordist, those products would compete with the Grace products in terms of popularity with our group.  The form factor is the most popular reason people give for disregarding the MME/MMP, but seldom the sound.

I really like the MiniMe as well. It does a great job as an ADC with your choice of pre in front and it does a great job as a stand-alone unit. I have heard that many think the bass is a bit 'tubby' when used as a stand-alone, but I think it sounds very well rounded. Huge, 3D soundstage with tons of detail across the spectrum. One of these days I need to pick up a MiniMp and run the two together - should be a fantastic combo. The soundstage would be tremendous! Ok, enough of that...

As far as your original post goes, the R-09HR sounds very decent on its own. When funds allow I will be picking one up for myself. My Iriver does a fine job but it will be nice to have 24bit capabilities in a tiny box. Now, we could get into the whole "the s/n ratio of the R-09HR just makes it a very good 16bit recorder" discussion but it will be an improvement over the Iriver's ADC.  Too bad it does not have a digi-in....
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »
As far as your original post goes, the R-09HR sounds very decent on its own. When funds allow I will be picking one up for myself. My Iriver does a fine job but it will be nice to have 24bit capabilities in a tiny box. Now, we could get into the whole "the s/n ratio of the R-09HR just makes it a very good 16bit recorder" discussion but it will be an improvement over the Iriver's ADC.  Too bad it does not have a digi-in....

One of the reasons I asked the original question is that I have both an R09HR and Microtrack II and since I'm cash poor from buying so goddang much gear, I was trying to figure out what to sell.  But after further contemplation, I think the best answer is to keep them both for just the reason you're saying.  If I need a bit bucket, the MTII has digi-in.  For all else, the R-09HR has low noise and can stand toe-to-toe with higher priced units.

With prices down around $160 to $170 for the MTII and less than $300 for the R09HR, you can get them both for a reasonable price and if you ever have occasion to run two rigs, there you go...you even can do 4 channel if the opportunity presents itself to hook into the SBD or if you have a separate preamp and mics to lug along (which I do).

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:26:23 PM »
V2 > R09HR.

The ADC on the HR is pretty darn good.  Much better than the original R09, IMO.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com