Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to reduce radio static?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
Best way to reduce radio static?
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »
I have a performance that I recorded from the radio.
Unfortunately I wasn't home at the time that it was recording, and the reception was not optimal.
The static isn't horrible, but it does detract from the recording.
I know I can't completely eliminate it, but I would like to minimize it as much as possible.

I use CEP2.0 for my wave editing and mastering.
Anyone here have some suggestions on the best place to start?
Never had to deal with this issue before (first radio recording) and some tips on which filters to try first would be appreciated.

If it helps, here is a sample of the problem.
http://www.tylisaari.com/misc/boots/sample/test.wav
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best way to reduce radio static?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
I do not know if CEP has noise reduction as a feature.  If it does not and if you cannot find a free/cheap plugin for the job you can just run a low-pass filter to screen out the high end and all the static.  That is, tweak it with  the equalizer. 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »
Unfortunately this doesn't help you at this point, but switching your tuner from FM stereo to mono often clears up a staticy station completely.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:38:30 PM »
Unfortunately this doesn't help you at this point, but switching your tuner from FM stereo to mono often clears up a staticy station completely.

Another option is to get a good FM antenna.  This will do the trick if your receiver is any kind of good.  FM does not travel as far as AM.  A good FM antenna will solve a lot of problems and give you a strong, clear, clean signal.  I used one for years.  I got a "deep fringe" to pull in the SF stations from Palo Alto.  They sounded as if they were coming in on a wire.  I'd give it some thought, especially if you want to tape off the air a lot.

Cheers
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline tay666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips on the tuner.
Normally it comes in very well, where it is situated, especially for the station I was recording.
But unfortunately, it turned out to be a very windy morning with some passing storms that morning.
Nothing I could do about it, as I was already at work when the weather turned to crap.

And no option for non-stereo FM on my system. It's pretty old. Can't remember exactly how old, but to kind of put a time frame on it, it has a turntable, dual cassette, and digital tuning.
So, it was right when digital tuners started to become common, but before CD players caught on.

As for the recording, I tried some light noise reduction on it, and it sounds like crap.
The music sounds fine, but the talking between songs sounds like it is underwater.

Will have to wait until I have more time and see if I can find the right ranges to try and EQ some of the static so it isn't so noticeable.

I'm hoping another source turns up, but I doubt it.
IT was TSO performing live in a radio studio in Erie PA.
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com