Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: field recording newbie: shotgun or parabolic dish?  (Read 11544 times)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: field recording newbie: shotgun or parabolic dish?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
That's pretty intense GB.
I kept wondering when the next whistle/horn was coming.
It built anticipation nicely.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 06:35:17 PM »
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

The first time I went to India they were phasing out the last of the old full-scale steam trains.  Didn't get to ride any of those but saw a couple pull into stations and make glorious noises.  I wish I had recording gear with me.  I did get to ride a couple of steam powered 'toy trains', one to Simla and another to Darjeeling, which aren't toys at all but simply small gauge trains used to climb the mountains since they can make much tighter turns and climb steeper grades.  I'm not sure , but those trains are probably ~150 years old and still chuggin'.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
that's some dynamic range going on and a very detailed recording of the crickets to the horn blowing far away to right up close passing by.
Did you have the antennas and stand raised all the way up or half way?

keep up the good work
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »
Shoulder height, no stand. Similar but slightly different mounting than the small diameter spheres in the 4-channel rig pictured above, mics boundary mounted on larger baffles - that is, simply taped to the outside of my arms.  So the baffles in this case were about twice the diameter in the horizontal plane, and the A-B spacing about half as much.  Same signal chain except the preamp.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 10:51:15 PM »
i wanna run this at a show FOH!

http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/stereo_parabol/index.html

Perfect setup for that, no stand or hand holding required-

Offline soundgeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
I'd like to say thanks to everyone who helped out here! Since I'm first going to focus on an omniaural, environment approach, those 4060s do look enticing... I can always go for a shotgun later on in the game. Thanks again for all your really helpful insights and input!

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
Here's a 2 channel stereo recording of a late night freight train approaching from a distance and passing close by, with sounds of several distant & close crossing gates signaling warnings in turn, and a mean sounding Corvette pulling across the tracks after the train and roaring off down the road.  I especially like the singing break-hose air-line on the rear of the train.  It is a somewhat urban environment, but late at night so the ambient noise floor is pretty low, with bugs frogs and night-bird song before and after the train.

Very nice recording! What sort of baffle did you use for that?
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
Here's a 2 channel stereo recording of a late night freight train approaching from a distance and passing close by, with sounds of several distant & close crossing gates signaling warnings in turn, and a mean sounding Corvette pulling across the tracks after the train and roaring off down the road.  I especially like the singing break-hose air-line on the rear of the train.  It is a somewhat urban environment, but late at night so the ambient noise floor is pretty low, with bugs frogs and night-bird song before and after the train.

Very nice recording! What sort of baffle did you use for that?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139520.msg1807964#msg1807964
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
One mic system not yet mentioned are the custom mics made here used exclusively for capturing natural uncolored virtual reality stereo-surround in any remote ambient condition. 

Used for over 20 years by both amateurs and the award winning professionals who make their living recording live sounds. 

Recorded examples using this type of gear with notes found at: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm and www.sonicstudios.com/mp3_2slp.htm.   

Partial professional credits at www.sonicstudios.com/cinema.htm
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com