Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Selection & Config  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Saber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic Selection & Config
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:03 AM »
Hi gang!
I’m new to this forum but frankly; I’ve never been very good with forum search criteria. Anyway, I’m looking for a better than average mic for pod casting and skype. I was looking at a Blue USB option, but after reading some reviews I learned that a XLR mic with a USD adapter is the ‘better’ way to go. Specifically, a Studio Projects B3 Condenser mic with a  CEntrance MicPort Pro. I realize that what I’m seeking may well be over-kill but that’s how I roll. However, I'm not sure if this is still a current and practical choice/option. Still, I would like to keep the cost around 400 or so for the mic, adapter, pop and shock mount.

BTW: I have a MacPro in my little home office and that will be my source. I’m currently using a FaceVision web-cam/mic. The video cam is great but the mic is pithy. Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:55:42 AM by Saber »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: Mic Selection & Config
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »
I think not many of us have experience in pod casting.  Most of us are recording music with stereo pairs, and rather than run USB into a computer we generally run to a dedicated audio recording device (the modern electronic version of the "tape recorder").

What are you intending to record?  mono/stereo?  bit rate?
If you are working with primarily voice (talking), mono, and something like 128kb mp3 quality audio, that's a lot different from recording a full band in stereo at CD quality or better.

If you are primarily doing normal talking voice, mono, heavily compressed, then one of the readily marketed "usb podcasting units" is probably OK to capture what you want to capture.  If you want to capture the detail of a violin, then you probably are better off with something like the SP B3.   One thing about a condenser mic is that it tends to pick up more background sound than a dynamic vocal mic, for instance a shure SM58.  If you can hear it, the condenser will capture it.  If you have a nice quiet studio it might not make much difference, but if you are working in your bedroom with other people yelling in the other room, or cars honking outside, the dynamic will pick up less of that than the condenser.  If you decide to go with the condenser, the SP B3 is good, but also consider the ADK A-51 which is at least as good a quality and sometimes a bit cheaper.

For about the same price as the CEntrance MicPort Pro ($149) you can get something along the lines of the (now discontinued) Edirol UA-5, which is a stereo USB preamp capable of 24/96 audio... something which might come in handy if you decide next year you want to record your buddy's band.  There are some other 2 channel boxes which have firewire.

Hope that helps.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com