Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps SGC Clips  (Read 6576 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Schoeps SGC Clips
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
Two questions:

1) If I'm using SGC clips with my actives, what's the best way to add shock protection? Very much used to running on a kwon/nola/schoeps bar with a Shure doughnut, but will use the SGC clips and a K&M t-bar if I want to run pointed at stacked.

2) Best way to run these  >:D in-hat. I saw that Kind Kables used to sell this, but it just doesn't make sense to me how this would work. Makes me really miss my 4v's. PM me on this one plz.

Thanks!

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
Re: Schoeps SGC Clips
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
Maybe get a Vark bar? The post on the Vark bar will fit into an A20 or Shure donut and makes for a pretty low profile setup.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:45:29 AM »
I use a vark/delrin bar inserted in a Superlux HM-32 shockmount with extra o-rings for stability.  Very low-pro.

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
John W's response is how I did it.  The donut is attached to a windtech or something similar.  Clamp your windtech to your stand.  The Vark/SGC assembly has a several inch long riser bar inserted into the center of the Vark bar.  The riser is inserted into the donut and the entire assembly is collectively shock mounted with a single donut.

As far as in-hat goes, I personally decided that keeping strict angles intact was out the window because I didn't want bars and crap sitting on top of my head.  I went with a navy blue Kangol Ventair and lots of velcro sewn inside with a matching thread color...the more velcro strategically placed, the firmer the whole thing is held in place.  I can get the capsules positioned on my forehead forward of my temples so that it is approximately XY110.

A note about velcro...I prefer the wider and I think the more you have on the inside of your hat the better and firmer the whole thing is held in place.  DO NOT buy the self stick velcro with the sticky crap on the back.  Basically you can't sew through it because that sticky crap causes your sewing or machine needle to bung all up.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
Thanks guys!

So I'm guessing the riser bar is pictured here in Brian's M/S setup thread? Looks like I would just need to angle the A20 or my superclamp by 90 degrees to get it upright. :)

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »
Can anyone post in this forum how I can cheat on my taxes?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
Can anyone post in this forum how I can cheat on my taxes?

it varies by state. :P
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:48:44 AM »
Thanks but I'm looking for specifics.  8)
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
You can cheat on your taxes in whatever way you want...it's simple.  Getting away with it is another thing altogether.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
So to get back on track, will a Vark bar riser work with the k&m bar (same thread size)? I'm sure I can use an adapter, so that question may not matter. Is there a Vark bar riser alternative?

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
So I'm guessing the riser bar is pictured here in Brian's M/S setup thread? Looks like I would just need to angle the A20 or my superclamp by 90 degrees to get it upright. :)

Yes, that's the riser bar in Brian's pics. 

You'd either need to put the A20 at 90 degrees, or if you use a windtech clamp to secure the mount to your stand, you can secure the windtech 5/8" stud in either the straight or 90 degree position. 

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »
So to get back on track, will a Vark bar riser work with the k&m bar (same thread size)? I'm sure I can use an adapter, so that question may not matter. Is there a Vark bar riser alternative?

Pretty sure K&M is a 5/8 hole and Vark is 3/8 thread so you'd need an adapter.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »

I'd think a home brew alternative would be fairly simple.  So the mount you'd use is an A20.  Seems like that's made for a 20mm or 21mm diameter mic body (is that why it's call A20?).  Pretty close to 3/4inch.  You could probably jury rig something from Home Depot/Lowes using 3/4in PVC and epoxy or something similar.  Just take your K&M bar to the store and get the hardware that threads in properly.  Might also want to take your mount to make sure whatever you get fits into it easy enough.  I'd think the shure donut would be a really handy alternative that's not quite as size dependent.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:27:56 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline johnw

• My cd List

Offline skaggs

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
I was wondering why you would want to mount with these clips, on a stand when there are so many bars available and they are dialed?  i have only used the clips to split my omnis, and have broken a few pairs, to the point i just run bodies now.  i can understand if you rig up a good stealth set up, and would love to see that, offline of course, cause we are not even supposed to type stealth on TS.  thanks! 

richard

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
I was wondering why you would want to mount with these clips, on a stand when there are so many bars available and they are dialed?  i have only used the clips to split my omnis, and have broken a few pairs, to the point i just run bodies now.  i can understand if you rig up a good stealth set up, and would love to see that, offline of course, cause we are not even supposed to type stealth on TS.  thanks!

richard

For running pointed at stacks. It's just as good a config or better than any of the delrin bar configs for the environments I frequently tape in. I do this especially with hypers for a very clean sound source and will often mix down with a split omni or standard cardioid pattern source to fill in the soundstage and room.

Fwiw, I have two of pretty much every bar config out there and love them for ease of use and consistency, but am frequently grabbing my DINa bar and even still wishing I had a tighter pattern.

I didn't know they break so easily, but will keep that in mind.

stevetoney

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »
I used the SGC's alot and never broke one.  I'm careful to just sorta roll the collette barrels into those clips so that the splines gently part slowly and only enough to allow the mics to slide in...the key is to use the angles on the back of the mic and kinda roll the mic body as you're sliding the mic in.  I can definitely see where breakage could be an issue, but I haven't had any problems using this technique.   

BTW, Im with you hi and low.  I like the SGC clips although SGCM would be even better.  They hold the mics with authority and precision and since they're gripping the back grommet, screens slide on without any obstruction.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:14:33 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline bremusound

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 08:43:05 AM »
AKG C460B modded - CK61 CK62 CK62DF CK63 CK1x CK8x A61 - C452EB C451EB C451E C451C CK1 CK2 CK3 CK22 A51 - Sennheiser MKH 405 - 406 - DPA 4006 - 4060 - 4061 - Neumann KM140/130 - Schoeps CMC52 CMC54 CMC58 - Line Audio CM3

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
I was wondering if these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Mic-Parts-Screw-Threads-Adapter-Double-Table-top-C2-CCM-4-Ug-0637-/300691162186?pt=UK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ&hash=item460297044a#ht_2107wt_952

could be a cheap alternative...

---and ordered some. Will give a feedback when they're here.

Wow! Serious find. I bought some stuff off of this guy. They are legit. That thing looks like a solid knock off. Lets hope it is. I have many broken ones to replace and at that price it's a no brainer. I have always used "make offer" with this seller and have never been turned down, but at 3.09 with free shipping why bother. :P Please report back with a quality check.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
My guess is these are genuine Schoeps and that they bought a ton at one point and now don't need them - These are the older version with the smaller more fragile clips.

Nevermind - I see they are from China and almost certainly fake - move along
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
Can anyone comment on the quality of the knockoff clips? I was going to order a few but if they are a real disaster I am not even going to bother.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 09:21:24 AM »
Can anyone comment on the quality of the knockoff clips? I was going to order a few but if they are a real disaster I am not even going to bother.

not sure if they are the same as those listed above, but i have a pair from Busman of what seem to be knock offs......  i haven't used em much, but they haven't broke yet. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »

not sure if they are the same as those listed above, but i have a pair from Busman of what seem to be knock offs......  i haven't used em much, but they haven't broke yet.

If these are the ones you're talking about, they're fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microphone-Clip-Clamp-Holder-Shock-Mount-Suspension-22mm-Shotgun-Pencil-Pro-0070-/300644108585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffc90929#ht_2331wt_746

I put some velcro on the inside because my Naks were a bit loose. Sold the Naks and I just bought some Rycote INVs, so I won't be using them anymore. I'll let them go for $20 shipped. Posting in YS as well...
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.173 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com