Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: can anyone tell me what this sounds like?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
can anyone tell me what this sounds like?
« on: February 29, 2004, 01:23:23 PM »
I got this a couple times in my recording last night, here it's the most prominent:

http://www.theahsa.com/not-ari/error/wtscratchyness.wav

and here's another one:

http://www.theahsa.com/not-ari/error/wtscratchyness2.wav

it also sounds like I have some scratchyness here as well, but it could have just been in the speakers:
http://www.theahsa.com/not-ari/error/wtscratchyness3.wav

I was running Oktava mk012's (no windscreens, indoors) on shocks, on a stand, with 25' canare xlr cables and neutrik connectors into a ua5 (battery powered, 16/44.1), into usb into my Fujitsu laptop (on battery power) into soundforge.  

Anybody have any idea where the error could be coming from?  It always seems to happen during loud parts, if that means anything.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:can anyone tell me what this sounds like?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 01:35:05 PM »
Ick!  Sounds nice except for the noise.  I assume you didn't hear the noise coming from the PA during the show?

Possibly a cable issue.  Are you able to duplicate this at home?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

radioboy1977

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 01:38:18 PM »
i only listened to the first clip, but to me it sounds like a loose cable.  either mic to cable or cable to UA5.  i'd put my money on the problem being the cable to UA5.  perhaps you just didn't have them plugged in the whole way?  or maybe the XLR connectors on the UA5 are loose themselves.  only way to find out, though, is to run some tests.  set up your rig, hit record, then start checking all your connections.

radioboy1977

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 01:38:47 PM »
dang brian!  beat me to it while i was typing ;D

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 02:03:34 PM »
thanks guys, I'll try that out today or tomorrow.  If it's a loose connector on the ua5 itself, what can I do to remedy that?

radioboy1977

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 02:07:39 PM »
how long have you had it?  if it's still under warranty than i would imagine you could just contact whomever you bought it from and they could tell you what to do.  if it's out of warranty, i'd probably contact doug oade to see if he could fix it.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 04:09:32 PM »
it's well out of warranty, I've had it for over a year and a half.  The warranty is only like a year, right?  I'm gonna test all the connections when I go home later today.  I'm hoping all it is was a loose cable.  I had to set up in a hurry because the stupid venue wouldn't let me in when I was supposed to be able to get in.

radioboy1977

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 07:25:59 PM »
it's well out of warranty, I've had it for over a year and a half.  The warranty is only like a year, right?

i'm not sure what edirol's warranty is like.  if you check your manual you should be able to find out.  good luck with the tests.  let us know what you find out.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 11:25:54 PM »
ok I tested my cable connections by jiggling them around and such, and I tested the cables too but just moving them around, and I couldn't duplicate the error.

Here's another question - if let's just say I neglected to plug something in all the way, why would the noise show up in both channels at the same time, and not the one channel that was plugged in wrong?

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 11:40:43 PM »
I'm not sure how USB cables/connections work, but If it happens in both channels I'd look to the output.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 12:05:05 AM »
yeh, I'll see how things go tomorrow and hope I get a clean pull :-)
Maybe it was the pa, who knows, but it certainly doesn't sound like it

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 12:53:50 AM »
I had this exact same noise in my first recording.  anytime my mic cables were moved in the least little amount(stepped on, kicked, jiggled, anything)...it would show up...seems like the input on the ua5 is REALLY touchy(at least on mine).  I had a patcher that repeadelty (damn i cant spell) kept checking his equipment and always hitting my cables in the process..and after listening to it several times, i started to put the scenario togethor(when he was checking)...My suggestion would be to try to secure the mic cables and get them outta the way of anything that might hit them

and just for shits and giggles..the asshole kicked my mic stand 3 times throught the show...once i cuaght about 1/2 ft off the floor...the sbd guy yelled at him when that happened, he ddint come back till after the show to get his stuff.(i was too nice :) )
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

radioboy1977

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 01:50:06 AM »
hmmm... after reading the last post i got to thinking that maybe you mic cable problems.  i'd open up the XLR connectors on both ends and check the soldering.  also, give the cables themselves a once over to check for nicks or cuts.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 10:17:07 AM »
I looked at both cables, there doesn't appear to be any cuts anywhere.  How would I open the xlr connectors without cutting the wire?

radioboy1977

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 07:38:37 PM »
are they neutrik connectors?  if so, there should just be two little screws on either side to take out.

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 02:09:31 AM »
yes, ok, I'll look for those.

I recorded the same band again tonight, different venue, and so far I hear no scratchyness.  I might check the connectors just to make sure everything is ok though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com