Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sync help needed (also: arrrrghhh I give up)  (Read 8988 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sync help needed (also: arrrrghhh I give up)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »
in terms of significant digits i just use calculator on my PC and copy and paste all the numbers to be safe.  maybe thats a bad idea?

I've never been able to and end up typing everything in anyway. Sometimes I forget and try again only to get the "you can't do that" beep. Maybe it's a windows/mac/linux difference.  :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
Now here's a reason why I like my DR-680, no need to deal with this issue any more.

I didn't know you could stealth wtih a 680. That's mildly impressive.  ^-^  :D

You don't have to stealth to sync sources.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:34:42 PM by Myco »
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
Now here's a reason why I like my DR-680, no need to deal with this issue any more.

:yack:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

:lol:

true, but in this instance I'm confident stealthing took priority over clocking.

Actually, I wonder how difficult it would be to stealth with a 680... Doesn't it have a finicky DC jack or something? Maybe I'm thinking of a different piece of gear. "yes maam, I am happy to see you, no that is not a cancerous growth."

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

:lol:

true, but in this instance I'm confident stealthing took priority over clocking.

Actually, I wonder how difficult it would be to stealth with a 680... Doesn't it have a finicky DC jack or something? Maybe I'm thinking of a different piece of gear. "yes maam, I am happy to see you, no that is not a cancerous growth."

Your right, unless you could run a cable through the audience somehow, not a lot of hope at clocking two separate, and separated, sources. You know me, I'm a wiseass.  ;)

I guess the potential for stealthing with a 680 would depend on the taper using it. If you have a lot of mass to camoflage it, maybe.  :lol: I bet once it got cold and the clothing starts to get layerd I could sneak one in somewhere.

I haven't found the dc input finicky at all. I use a right angle plug and it has the cable hook to secure it, so I'm comfortable with it. 
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I haven't found the dc input finicky at all. I use a right angle plug and it has the cable hook to secure it, so I'm comfortable with it.

I might be thinking of some other gear.

good fun good fun.

I'm actually looking forward to my next separate sync, I'm interested in how easy the stretch method is in reaper. A simple test worked, but I'd like to see it with a 2 hour show.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
I, too, tried this for a few hours yesterday. It takes damn near 25 minutes to time-stretch a 50 minute show in wavelab.... and still is totaly hit-or-miss.

I think I'm going to go back to aligning by track. Pretty simple and guaranteed to not introduce any artifacts into the audio by resampling.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 09:23:56 PM »
I, too, tried this for a few hours yesterday. It takes damn near 25 minutes to time-stretch a 50 minute show in wavelab.... and still is totaly hit-or-miss.

I think I'm going to go back to aligning by track. Pretty simple and guaranteed to not introduce any artifacts into the audio by resampling.

I hate the chop method. After about 3-4 minutes the smear becomes rather evident and after about 8 or 9 minutes on a long song I get the knock (echo sets in around 15 in my experience). That translates to roughly 5000 samples an hour off which isn't much at all... ymmv I guess.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:47 PM »
Assuming this is for the show last Friday, I can ask my mixmaster friend to help...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 05:05:31 PM »
Assuming this is for the show last Friday, I can ask my mixmaster friend to help...

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=148055.0

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
Actually, I wonder how difficult it would be to stealth with a 680... "yes maam, I am happy to see you, no that is not a cancerous growth."

"It's benign, but I carry an electronic medical device to monitor it."  ;)

The thought has crossed my mind when I'd like more than 4 channels.  Did a five channel open recording with 'everything staight to the DR-680' and no other recorders a few weeks back and it was so very nice to simply go home, patch out 5 outputs of the 680 and play it all back immediately in perfect sync.

I'm stretch-syncing files made on un-clocked recorders in Samplitude, which is really simple using the 'elastic audio' funciton.  I don't think the Mac compatible version of Samplitude is available yet, but have heard it is soon to be.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
I'm stretch-syncing files made on un-clocked recorders in Samplitude, which is really simple using the 'elastic audio' funciton.  I don't think the Mac compatible version of Samplitude is available yet, but have heard it is soon to be.

Hate to thread hijack but could you give some detail on how you do the elastic audio in Samplitude. I have a lot of old shows that I have dats of the sbd and aud that I would like to sync. The chop method never seemed to be the idea solution.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
Oops my bad, the Samp function is called Universal HQ time stretchingElastic Audio is similar but designed for changing the timing and pitch and duration of individual phases words or notes like Melodyne.   The time stretching function is simpler and better suited to this.  It has several different algorythms and ways of doing it, but the Universal HQ setting is the best for stretching complex audio transparently. I do it at the object level by selecting the entire track as an object and entering a new desired length.  You can work in whatever units you want- time, samples, etc. (it displays the current length and you enter a new one, or I think you can also grab the edge of the object, stretch it and snap to a marker that is aligned with an event on the other stereo track.

I've stubbed my toe on Samplitudes learning curve at times, but time stretching one file to match another is delightfully simple.  I found it hard to belive it was that easy.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to explain Gutbucket. I'll have to give it a try.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
Instead of starting a new thread I'll keep this guy going:

I've been trying for a while now but can't get two sources aligned in Audacity.  The one source I keep adjusting seems to speed up during the middle and slow down sometime by the end.  I start the two sources synced then there's a considerable difference around the middle (almost a second off) then its almost realigned by the end...any idea on whats causing this or how to go about fixing it?

When I started the two sources were a full 10 seconds off by the end (from using two separate iRiver H120s) and I've got it close but can't seem to figure out this speed up/slow down issue.

OH! eta:  I don't know anything about the mechanics of this stuff, but for what its worth I was running digital into one of them (from a UA5) and analogue into the other from a CA 9100 if the ADC part of the chain might throw things off.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:45:37 PM by achalsey »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com