Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mic array  (Read 7098 times)

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
mic array
« on: July 06, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
At the Furthur gig last night, I noticed a setup in the tapers section  as I was leaving. Looked like three mics, the outer ones basically A-B-ed, and the middle one slightly higher. They were big, or at least the windscreens were major. I couldn't get back against the crowd headed for the exit to inquire.

Any thoughts?
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: mic array
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »
Three spaced mics goes all the way back to the very begining of non-mono electric recording with Harvey Fletcher's experiments for Bell Labs in the 1930's.  It's a currently under used technique for our style of recording IMO, and one of my prefered omni techniques.  Could be directionals instead of omnis too, more likely to be used in the center if the outside mics are A-B spaced.  Also possible that the center mic was actually a stereo mic, then the outside mics can help provide more width, open ambience and low bass than the center coincident stereo mic would get alone.

Such a three channel recording is typically mixed to 2 channel stereo with the center mic panned to the middle, Left mic all the way left and right mic all the way right, and the evel of the center adjusted to taste.  If all three channels are recorded and not mixed in the field to a stereo recorder, that gives the taper more control over the sound balance, timbre and stereo image after the fact than simple two-channel stereo.  But these days you can also play back a three channel recording without mixing the channels over a Left/Center/Right speaker setup common with home theater setups.  That was the prefered way of doing it in the Bell Labs experiments (they didn't consider 2 channels enough, which was all that later stereo LPs could hold, and also pretty much the practical limit of what people could be convinced to buy) which influenced multichannel movie theater sound and eventually home theater.  With mutichannel recording and multichannel playback systems becoming comon in the past decade, it's become much easier to play back three channel recordings over three front speakers.. and it can be a really great improvement!

Mixing 3 mics down to 2-channel stereo before recoring was a relatively common technique a few dacades ago for Grateful Dead taping. But that was slightly different in adding a center omni to a pair of closer spaced directional left/right mics (often shotguns) to help extend the bass response of the shotguns and to provide more a more natrual ambient crowd sound.  So the reasons for using 3 mics in that situation were somewhat different than a wide spaced 3 mic A-B setup.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »
At the Furthur gig last night, I noticed a setup in the tapers section  as I was leaving. Looked like three mics, the outer ones basically A-B-ed, and the middle one slightly higher. They were big, or at least the windscreens were major. I couldn't get back against the crowd headed for the exit to inquire.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the classic NAK 3 mic mix - the nak MX-100 mixer has 3 channels - L-R-and Center (or "Blend" as Nak called it)
Usually 2 shotguns, and an omni - I recall seeing some guys pointing the center mic up a bit...

cashandkerouac

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
sounds like it could be a non-traditional decca tree.

runonce

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:40:58 PM »

Maybe - but it was at a Furthur show where there are still probably some old school guys...and he made mention of the windscreens (the nak shotgun is like a 15 inch foam windscreen)

cashandkerouac

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »

Maybe - but it was at a Furthur show where there are still probably some old school guys...and he made mention of the windscreens (the nak shotgun is like a 15 inch foam windscreen)

you're probably correct.  i've only seen a Decca Tree configuration used once (and it wasn't at a Furthur show).   

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
Decca tree is simply a special case of three spaced mics, which moves the center one forward of the other two.  In use it's basically the same as three in a row- mix to 2 channel L/R or play back 3 channel L/C/R.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

Any thoughts?
Were the outer ones shotguns? That should've been pretty evident.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

runonce

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »

Any thoughts?

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 08:17:35 PM »

Any thoughts?
Yeah, and? That doesn't mean anything. LD's are big also eh?
He didn't say they were guns so I figured I would ask.

He also doesn't state whether the center mic was smaller or not or was equal in size. Thanks for your useless post though sweets.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:21:02 PM by newplanet7 »

runonce

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

Any thoughts?

He also doesn't state whether the center mic was smaller or not or was equal in size. Thanks for your useless post though sweets.

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »

Any thoughts?

You set the tone with posting a half-assed sarcastic bolded  post though sugar.
But indeed, give you props on well played.  ;D I will now post it in the ragtime thread throwing both of us under said bus sir!!..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:31:24 PM by newplanet7 »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »

this.

it doesn't say the middle mic was out front, but "up"

I think it's an f'ed up decca tree arrangement.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

runonce

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:35 PM »

Any thoughts?

You set the tone with posting a half-assed sarcastic bolded  post though sugar.
But indeed, give you props on well played.  ;D I will now post it in the ragtime thread throwing both of us under said bus sir!!..

Sorry I forgot my bunny smiley...! It's all pretty now!

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
Attaboy!! Allergic to Midol tho. Motrin is the cats meow for the bloating, cramping and random witty interweb battles.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
It looked like all three mics were the same size. Not set up like 414's or other ld mics, but clearly set up like my 451's or 460's, BUT MAJOR SIZED WINDSCREENS, MAYBE 3-3 1/2". (I just wanted to cap that part, given the exchange above  8) ) These didn't look like shotguns, unless the had really wide windscreens.

When I first looked at it 'Decca tree' went through my mind, but given that I really don't know squat about it, it was just an intuition.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:29:49 PM by intpseeker »
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

runonce

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »
Isn't a Decca tree a conspicuously large setup?

I seem to recall recording GD with a fellow in Buffalo 90 who ran some AKGs with Nak CP3 in the middle, slightly tipped upward...

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
Isn't a Decca tree a conspicuously large setup?

it typically is, but I don't recall there being any specific measurements, just that your middle channel sits closer to the sound source.

I seem to recall recording GD with a fellow in Buffalo 90 who ran some AKGs with Nak CP3 in the middle, slightly tipped upward...

hmm, sounds like the Stoner Array then.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
It looked like all three mics were the same size. Not set up like 414's or other ld mics, but clearly set up like my 451's or 460's, BUT MAJOR SIZED WINDSCREENS, MAYBE 3-3 1/2". (I just wanted to cap that part, given the exchange above  8) ) These didn't look like shotguns, unless the had really wide windscreens.

When I first looked at it 'Decca tree' went through my mind, but given that I really don't know squat about it, it was just an intuition.
Thanks for the added details sir. That's what I was looking for. The exchange above is just a couple of old biddies trying to liven up the joint!
All in good fun. I forget who on the board does a lot of 3-mic stuff but there was indeed someone.
Teddy used to rock some three mic mixes that were good.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
I miss Teddy.  Is that thief still lurking here under another name?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
I meant Ted Gak.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
I meant Ted Gak.

Uh, sorry.

Here's a niiiice 3-mic mix I made a while back....

http://archive.org/details/nrps2007-09-22.nak303.flac16

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
I meant Ted Gak.

Uh, sorry.

Hey I remember that show!!  (and yes it's a mighty fine example of a 3-mic recording)

Hard to believe it's been almost 5 years... wow
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
I meant Ted Gak.

Uh, sorry.

Hey I remember that show!!  (and yes it's a mighty fine example of a 3-mic recording)

Yep, we was wet on the inside, wet on the outside my friend!

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
The was Bob C's rig.  He bought a three channel snake from me last year and runs three mics mixes all the time.  I was into them for awhile also.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
I meant Ted Gak.

Uh, sorry.

Yep, we was wet on the inside, wet on the outside my friend!
Nice Capt!

The was Bob C's rig.  He bought a three channel snake from me last year and runs three mics mixes all the time.  I was into them for awhile also.
And that was the Ted

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks newplanet7 and alpine 85....sometimes the taper gods even show up in the rain, eh?.... 8)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 08:35:13 AM »

Ted...Three Omni's?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.12 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com