Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 Cap Repair - Where? Pic Included  (Read 8296 times)

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Schoeps MK41 Cap Repair - Where? Pic Included
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
Redding audio maybe able to fix it in house,but I had a bad experience last year with a 41v cap was lose they fixed it then bent the shit out of it in the process so it ended up going to schoeps to get fixed correct.I would also take pictures of it before you ship it to them.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 05:38:51 PM »
This MK41 was a little hard to thread on my new KCY Clone from followingbob and I found the show that was recorded has slight static in one channel.
I decided to reverse the caps to see if it was the cap or the cable & when I carefully unscrewed the cap it fell apart.

HHmmm this doesn't sound good....  Hopefully the KCY clone didn't cause this.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
This MK41 was a little hard to thread on my new KCY Clone from followingbob and I found the show that was recorded has slight static in one channel.
I decided to reverse the caps to see if it was the cap or the cable & when I carefully unscrewed the cap it fell apart.

HHmmm this doesn't sound good....  Hopefully the KCY clone didn't cause this.

Or maybe it's just a 30 year old capsule that broke.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »
Or maybe it's just a 30 year old capsule that broke.
That's my thinking as well.  It's at least half that age, though I'm not exactly sure when Schoeps switched the design on their assembly retaining clip.  This is the old style which wasn't used on my caps from ~ '99, so it's older than that.  These ones open easily with the proper tool, as I suspect the newer design does as well... I just no no clue what that tool would be for the newer ones.

Having opened and cleaned caps like the one pictured, I would have no fear in sending it to Nick for a quick fix.  While some of us believe that Schoeps microphones produce magical results, they do not contain magic pixie dust.  More often, they do contain conventional dust and debris that can be safely blown out.  I'm not sure exactly what failed on this cap, but it looks like the center pin was pulled free of whatever retaining clip is supposed to hold it in place.  In that Nick and FollowingBob are working together providing these cables, his offer to take a look seems like a customer service courtesy worth considering.  At worst, the cap will be on the next boat to Germany.
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
Having opened and cleaned caps like the one pictured

Please post the serial numbers of those caps so I know to never, ever buy them.

Thanks!

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
Having opened and cleaned caps like the one pictured
Please post the serial numbers of those caps so I know to never, ever buy them.
Funny... it was actually at the urging of a Yard Sale buyer here who is very happy with his cap.  I realize this may not be for the faint of heart, and I wouldn't have attempted it blindly.  But with an old cap that was in obvious need of a cleaning of the vent screen, I was comfortable attempting it, surprised by the simplicity of the design, and pleased with the results.  Pretty much every other cap I've owned has the newer style retaining clip which probably requires a special tool to open, and fortunately I haven't had the need.

If Nick is comfortable doing the repair, it's probably something he can handle, and it sounds like good customer service to me.  If Nick can't handle it, or if Datfly is more comfortable with only Schoeps going inside his MK41, then it's off to Germany for it.  All I'm saying is that I don't believe this repair will be complicated, and if it is, the option to send it back to the homeland remains.

Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 11:13:10 PM »
As some people here know, I've been friends with, and have done translating and editorial work for, people at Schoeps for over 30 years. Twice during the past three or four years, including this past May when I was in Karlsruhe, I've had lengthy sit-down sessions in which I've disassembled and reassembled capsules under the guidance of their former chief engineer. But even with that "training"--really just an introduction--I would never open any of my own capsules, let alone anyone else's.

The capsules that I took apart couldn't possibly meet factory specs after I put them back together. This is because, in addition to the knowledge, coordination and concentration that's required (and that I don't always have), there are some real trade secrets involved in assembling a Schoeps capsule correctly. I know exactly one such secret--how a tiny marking on one internal part is used for aligning another internal part in order to get the lowest distortion in one particular type of capsule--but I also know that there are others that I don't know about.

Electronic as well as physical/mechanical tests are also done on capsules during assembly. The equipment that they use isn't unique, but the tests that are performed, and when and how they are performed and the expected result values and the allowable tolerances, etc., are never shared outside the company. That's not because the tests are mysterious, but on the contrary--it's because anyone with a physics background would understand all too well if they had those details.

Schoeps isn't alone in this by any means. Today no manufacturer can afford to make it easy for others to reverse-engineer their products. There isn't much mystery left about microphone circuitry; by now, the Schoeps circuit has been copied by any number of Chinese clone manufacturers. That leaves the capsules as the thing that can't be copied, even if all the pieces are imitated precisely.

So, with all due respect to those who may disagree, my honest advice is to send any capsules back to the factory if you think they need work or even just checking and cleaning. I own about 30 Schoeps capsules at this point, and I keep track of when I bought each of them, and cycle them through factory service every 15 years or so--even though I've only had actual repair-type issues with capsules that I've bought second-hand, or the two times when I've dropped a capsule and wanted it to be checked carefully.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:21:38 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:27 AM »
As some people here know, I've been friends with, and have done translating and editorial work for, people at Schoeps for over 30 years. Twice during the past three or four years, including this past May when I was in Karlsruhe, I've had lengthy sit-down sessions in which I've disassembled and reassembled capsules under the guidance of their former chief engineer. But even with that "training"--really just an introduction--I would never open any of my own capsules, let alone anyone else's.

The capsules that I took apart couldn't possibly meet factory specs after I put them back together. This is because, in addition to the knowledge, coordination and concentration that's required (and that I don't always have), there are some real trade secrets involved in assembling a Schoeps capsule correctly. I know exactly one such secret--how a tiny marking on one internal part is used for aligning another internal part in order to get the lowest distortion in one particular type of capsule--but I also know that there are others that I don't know about.

Electronic as well as physical/mechanical tests are also done on capsules during assembly. The equipment that they use isn't unique, but the tests that are performed, and when and how they are performed and the expected result values and the allowable tolerances, etc., are never shared outside the company. That's not because the tests are mysterious, but on the contrary--it's because anyone with a physics background would understand all too well if they had those details.

Schoeps isn't alone in this by any means. Today no manufacturer can afford to make it easy for others to reverse-engineer their products. There isn't much mystery left about microphone circuitry; by now, the Schoeps circuit has been copied by any number of Chinese clone manufacturers. That leaves the capsules as the thing that can't be copied, even if all the pieces are imitated precisely.

So, with all due respect to those who may disagree, my honest advice is to send any capsules back to the factory if you think they need work or even just checking and cleaning. I own about 30 Schoeps capsules at this point, and I keep track of when I bought each of them, and cycle them through factory service every 15 years or so--even though I've only had actual repair-type issues with capsules that I've bought second-hand, or the two times when I've dropped a capsule and wanted it to be checked carefully.

--best regards

Absolutely correct - I would never let anyone touch any of my microphones except the manufacturer themselves - or their certified engineer in an official distributor.

I agree with everything DSatz says.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
Funny... it was actually at the urging of a Yard Sale buyer here who is very happy with his cap.  I realize this may not be for the faint of heart, and I wouldn't have attempted it blindly.  But with an old cap that was in obvious need of a cleaning of the vent screen, I was comfortable attempting it, surprised by the simplicity of the design, and pleased with the results.  Pretty much every other cap I've owned has the newer style retaining clip which probably requires a special tool to open, and fortunately I haven't had the need.

If Nick is comfortable doing the repair, it's probably something he can handle, and it sounds like good customer service to me.  If Nick can't handle it, or if Datfly is more comfortable with only Schoeps going inside his MK41, then it's off to Germany for it.  All I'm saying is that I don't believe this repair will be complicated, and if it is, the option to send it back to the homeland remains.

I am still very curious abut this.

What solvent do you use to remove the contamination that results from any contact?
Do you have an instrument that measures gigaohm impedances accurately?

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »
Thanks for everyones input and comments.
I have the answer I was looking for and I will take it from there.

Datfly
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com