Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crackling in recording CA14 cardioids  (Read 7519 times)

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Crackling in recording CA14 cardioids
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:08:46 AM »
Went to see aerosmith yesterday and got the show recorded there is a weird crackle all over the recording. I've already replaced the cable from my m10 to the battery box but that wasn't the solution. Any ideas? I can post a sample if needed.

Got my next show on Tuesday...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:17:33 PM by Thierry »

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Crackling in recording
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
I've got the mics clipped on my shirt. It looks like the problem is with the mics, if that's the case I'm screwed for next weeks gigs..

Please check the attachment.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
i don't hear anything but with a 1 sec clip that might be why
can you do at least 10
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
Hopefully this will do it (see attachment). The strange thing is, it's not there all the time. Or at least not audible, at quiet parts it's really annoying.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:35:14 PM by Thierry »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »
I hear no crackling. I do hear applause (sharp hand claps).
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »
I hear no crackling. I do hear applause (sharp hand claps).

Please check again with headphones - it's definately not applause.

Offline Chuck

Re: Crackling in recording (CA14'
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
In an editor I see there is something wonky about the right WAV form, but with only that short clip I attributed it to the guitar sound. But, I don't see any crackling there.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »
In an editor I see there is something wonky about the right WAV form, but with only that short clip I attributed it to the guitar sound. But, I don't see any crackling there.

Must be something with the mics, can't be anything else. My recording from the day before this Aerosmith gig has the same issues.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 03:06:23 PM »
It's a problem with intermittent power, signal, or humidity on the capsule in the right channel.

Thanks is there anything that I can do to fix this?

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:16:45 PM »
That depends on whether the microphones can be serviced.  What equipment are you using?

Church Audio CA14 cardioids -> Church Audio Ugly 2 Pre-amp -> Sony M10.

I guess I won't be able to record the Richie Sambora gig in Cologne this Tuesday now :(.

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Crackling in recording CA14 cardioids
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:23 PM »
Well...you can still record, and if the problem occurs again, worst case scenario is you can replace the bad track with the good one and create a "dual mono" recording.  Hell of a lot better than nothing.

Marshall7

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
And the first thing I thought of when you said this - "I've got the mics clipped on my shirt" - is that the mic was rubbing against your shirt when you move.

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
Well...you can still record, and if the problem occurs again, worst case scenario is you can replace the bad track with the good one and create a "dual mono" recording.  Hell of a lot better than nothing.

I did this when I pinched one of the cables on my CA-11 and did not realize it until after I'd made two recordings with a crackling sound.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
Haven't listened, but you may be able to salvage the recordings by playing around with the filter settings of a "pop and click" reduction filter typically designed for surface noise on LP transfers.  I've used that for mic rubbing against fabric noise crackle before with excellent results.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 04:39:51 PM »
I would be more than happy to take a look at the mics for you.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chuck

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
I would be more than happy to take a look at the mics for you.

:coolguy:

There you go. :)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 03:47:06 AM »
You know what , I think it sounds like airco . I've had it on several gigs too , indoors , where you don't use windshields. Now if I feel airco blowing I move up a little bit . Because that is exactly how airco sounds on a recording .

I am attaching a piece of a recording I did . It has the same crackle as your clip . There was nothing wrong with my mic , it really was the airco blowing into the mic with no windshields.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:06:49 AM by Ekib »
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 05:05:38 AM »
Applying a 60Hz hum filter fixes it. 

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »

Unfortunately it didn't fix it. I've bought a new pair of CA14 omni's and I'll ship the broken cardioids to Chris to let him fix it :).

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 07:39:27 AM »
You know what , I think it sounds like airco . I've had it on several gigs too , indoors , where you don't use windshields. Now if I feel airco blowing I move up a little bit . Because that is exactly how airco sounds on a recording .

I am attaching a piece of a recording I did . It has the same crackle as your clip . There was nothing wrong with my mic , it really was the airco blowing into the mic with no windshields.

There are windscreens on the CA14 cards, it surely can't be the airco.

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »

Unfortunately it didn't fix it. I've bought a new pair of CA14 omni's and I'll ship the broken cardioids to Chris to let him fix it :).

It fixes the file you posted, but of course doesn't address the root problem.  I used Waves X-Hum, 60Hz with the steep roll off. 

adrianf74

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »

I would disagree.  Even though they have "built in" windscreens, if you're right under/close to the vent, you can get that "sound" in your recording.   If you haven't shipped off the mics for repair yet, try doing a recording in an empty room (with no air conditioning) and see what you get.  If that phenomenon exists again, it's the mics.  If it doesn't, it was something in the venue (and likely air conditioning).

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
It's good to do a wiggle test once in a while. Assemble the rig and listen to the headphone out while wiggling all the connections, cables, etc. Though reviewing the waveform is often a better test than trying to hear stuff that can be subtle.

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »

I would disagree.  Even though they have "built in" windscreens, if you're right under/close to the vent, you can get that "sound" in your recording.   If you haven't shipped off the mics for repair yet, try doing a recording in an empty room (with no air conditioning) and see what you get.  If that phenomenon exists again, it's the mics.  If it doesn't, it was something in the venue (and likely air conditioning).
I second this view, I've been under fierce aircon with CA14s and had similar issues.  The inbuilt windscreens will stop a light draft, but not a thumping full on aircon.

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 03:14:51 AM »
Guys, the issue where definately the mics. I've had the same problems for my last 3 recordings.

I've borrowed a set of CA14 cards from my friend this week, recorded Richie Sambora in Cologne with it. The sound came out great.

I only wish Chris Church would reply to my e-mail with his address so I can get my mics fixed..

Offline anr

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 03:42:20 AM »
I only wish Chris Church would reply to my e-mail with his address so I can get my mics fixed..

Given the cost of shipping/insurance, turn round time etc it MAY be worthwhile just looking for 2nd hand mics from a European user in Yard Sale. 

Offline Thierry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 04:02:45 AM »

Given the cost of shipping/insurance, turn round time etc it MAY be worthwhile just looking for 2nd hand mics from a European user in Yard Sale.

I don't mind to pay for it. I'd really like them to be repaired.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 05:13:51 AM »

I don't mind to pay for it. I'd really like them to be repaired.

Chris always answers emails , did you try his correct email ?
Otherwise sent me a PM .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.372 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com