Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oktava MK-012, Thoughts?  (Read 10092 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Oktava MK-012, Thoughts?
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:11:30 PM »
I used to have a pair of these with card caps. I liked them a lot but was always yearning to be able to afford Schoeps. After getting my Schoeps rig I sold my Oktavas to a sound engineer friend and he absolutely loves them and refuses to sell them back to me.  >:( Anyway, while I still plan on being a Schoeps whore, I've been kicking around the idea of getting the matched set with card, hyper and omni caps. I also came across the Michael Joly Engineering mod, which apparently brings them in line with the Nuemann KM 180 line. For $600-800 for a pair of bodies and three sets of caps, I'm tempted to add them to the mic locker- especially after hearing about the MJE mod. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share.
As always, thanks for your time and valuable input!

JME Mod:
http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_48&products_id=165
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Oktava MK-012, Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »
I thought they did a good job when I had them and was very happy with the recordings I got using them. That being said, if you've got Schoeps, I'm not sure what the Oktavas are going to give you that you aren't already getting. I run AKG 480's and I sold my Oktavas. Never was going to use them.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »
Rory,
I get what you're saying. I won't be changing from Schoeps. I just had the thought that for the price of one cmc6 body, I could get a a pair of bodies with 3 matched sets of caps. Having the mod done would be another $240. I'm thinking more for studio applications or mic'ing instruments than running them as a pair for open taping.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
Before Schoeps, and AKGs, I started with Oktavas with the Joly mod.  IMHO, my Avantone CK-1 Busman mod is a better mic, and far less expensive.  Even the unmodded CK-1 (and I have a pair of those on a permanent install at a local theater) sound great.  $300 per pair with omni, card and hyper caps (bought the unmodded pair for $175).  Giant killer.

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »
I like how you're thinking Boltman. Just looking to expand the mic locker a bit w/o spending thousands of dollars. Thinking about getting into studio/live multitrack recording in the future.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »
Either way you go I think it's fun to run multiple sources when taping a show. It's also nice IMO if you have something that sounds different than your main set for a different flavor. I say you go for it especially if you want to do some studio recording. The Oktavas are well regarded, maybe try them unmodded first?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:03:11 AM »
I've owned a pair of Oktava's that weren't modified, so I think having the mod'd version may be a plausible step up for them/me. I like the idea that the JME mod claims that they will be similar to the Nuemann KM 180s. Not sure how true that is but seems like the mod might be worth the money. But if the Avantone CK-1s are a better mic than the Oktava's, maybe not. Anyone else have input on this?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:03:46 AM by Cobiwan »
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »

IMHO, my Avantone CK-1 Busman mod is a better mic, and far less expensive.  Even the unmodded CK-1 (and I have a pair of those on a permanent install at a local theater) sound great.  $300 per pair with omni, card and hyper caps (bought the unmodded pair for $175).  Giant killer.

I was totally unfamiliar with those CK-1's but after hearing some sets (probably via LMA) run with them I was wondering why I had not heard of them.  I think they sounded very good even from very large building loud shows.  Not what or where I record much if at all but I'd certainly want to experiment with them. 

For good inexpensive mics to grow the locker for multichannel/spot recording on a budget I'd strongly consider those and Line Audio from Sweden.  The things I've heard with Lines have really nice sound in applications more like what I record.  Busman's mics are nice sounding too. 

I've liked the Oktava's also but if budget is a concern they may not be the best answer from price point (not that it's a bad one but as noted it's more than others). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
I have just one show on LMA with the CK-1s.  It was the only time I ran them hyper at this venue (experimenting), so less of a sense of "air."  But it gives you a general sense of the sound.  Carbon Leaf had a lot of high-frequency energy at this show.

https://archive.org/details/cl2012-06-08.carbleaf2012-06-08

Here's an old thread on them:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=80536.0;all

Although the Avantones are Chinese pencil mics, they are designed stateside and they are QC'd after they arrive in the US from the factory.  They have a five-year warranty and include some nice shock mounts too.  Cost differential:

New Oktava pair with six caps (omni, card, hyper):  $800 + $240 for Joly mod = $1040.
Avantone pair with six caps (omni, card, hyper): $300 (and if you decide to add the Busman mod,  you're in for a total of $450).

If you bought the Avantones and didn't like them, you could probably sell them for close to what you paid on Ebay.

What I like most about the CK-1's is that they don't have that shrill, peaky high end that most cheap pencil mics have.  They sound pretty smooth and full-bodied.  Schoeps?  No.  But they don't call attention to themselves, and generally "get out of the way" to allow for musical enjoyment.

The Line Audio mics get almost universal raves on Gearslutz and I doubt you'd go wrong with those, even if they are only one polar pattern.  (If I remember correctly, they're billed as cards but they're sort of wide-cards?)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:41:07 PM by boltman »

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
Boltman, can you elaborate on the Busman mod? I checked out his website but the only mods listed are for decks. Is it an electronics upgrade similar to the JME mod? Does he still mod mics that aren't his?
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
I have just one show on LMA with the CK-1s. 

It wasn't yours and I don't recall which ones exactly now, but I was scratching my head wondering who is Avantone?  They may or may not be a good fit for sensitive use/close micing (I don't know enough about the results and have never tried them but you could do far worse with more expensive mics in a OTS type setting from what I heard and assumed). 

Line has cards and omnis http://www.lineaudio.se/  The most discussed is the card, which is sort of a wide-card http://www.lineaudio.se/CM3.html .  I think it would be a very good relatively inexpensive studio or stage lip sort of mic that would not reveal itself as inexpensive in a more demanding application.  Again I haven't tried it but have seriously considered pulling the trigger (and the current exchange rate environment may make them even more tempting).  I just haven't gotten to where I am doing multichannel consistently so haven't gone that step, but if I were my budget (and the missus) won't accommodate 4 more full Schoeps rigs... 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 05:28:38 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »

The Line Audio mics get almost universal raves on Gearslutz and I doubt you'd go wrong with those, even if they are only one polar pattern.  (If I remember correctly, they're billed as cards but they're sort of wide-cards?)

If you're considering a fixed polar pattern mic I would suggest the Berliner CM33's, there are a few sources on LMA & I really enjoyed them, I only sold them when I purchased the MBHO 440's or I would have kept them. They sound very Neumann like to my ears & are also very reasonably priced like the Line Audio but with lower self noise.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Voltronic is using the Line Audio CM3s as his center pair of mics in his 4 mic array.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gp36bit7bmuc1l6/AABslsUNnclSxblr8EmuhVOZa?dl=0

The CM3 is a wide card.  Has a short body.  Unobtrusive.  Sounds good.  I'm surprised that Voltronic and I appear to be the only guys on TS that have CM3s. 

The Oktava Mk-012 is often mentioned favorably on GS.  Never had the chance to use them myself, but since Cobiwan used to have them and knows what they can do, then Cobiwan ought to be the best judge of whether to re-buy a set. 

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »
Peluso cmc series with all the caps would run less than a grand brand new and are fantastic sounding mics. Sort of Neumann - ish in flavor but with a little more air in the top. His subcard capsule rules. The hyperspace were not my favorite and I mostly ran the cards and subcards when I had them.

The Avantones sound similar to the pelusos and are less than half the price.

I'd take the pelusos over the octavas any day.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Cobiwan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 12:58:02 AM »
The Oktava Mk-012 is often mentioned favorably on GS.  Never had the chance to use them myself, but since Cobiwan used to have them and knows what they can do, then Cobiwan ought to be the best judge of whether to re-buy a set.
While I have owned the Oktavas before, my question was really about the JME mod. I do like the mic recommendations though. The Avantone's are a pretty sweet deal if you can still get the Busman mod. I hadn't thought about the In Line or Peluso's before.
I appreciate all the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Cables:

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com