Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: picturebook users -->  (Read 4715 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
picturebook users -->
« on: June 22, 2004, 08:53:32 AM »
i know the ram upgrade is REALLY simple, and know how to do it, as im about to in the next couple weeks

but what about a HD upgrade?

i found a really nice website with step by step instructions

also found the 20, 30, and 40 gig 2.5" 9mm hard drives on ebay for a very decent price... im gonna look into bigger hard drives though

has anyone here done a hd upgrade before?

Offline peeeper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
Re: picturebook users -->
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 10:31:44 AM »
I have a vaio srx87p which isn't a picturebook but is the next smallest size up, under three pounds.  I know for mine that the memory was a bit harder to swap out then the hard drive.  The hard drive on mine has an access panel but the memory I had to remove the whole back side of the vaio.  You shouldn't have a problem with either as long as you have the correct size screw drivers.  SRX87 comes with 256MB of ram which I believe the picturebook also does.  128MB of it is onboard, not removable.  The other 128mb is removable, and is what you'll need to remove to be able to place a new 256MB simm into the only socket there is.  Swapping out 128MB for a 256MB will give you 384MB.  Do you really need 384MB for recording?  Not really.  If you setup your laptop correctly for audio recording you'll find out that you will only be using less then 200MB of RAM.  With all the needless services disabled and disk caching disabled you'll be writing directly to the hard drive, which is what I'll talk about next.

Personally I wouldn't do any recording with a laptop unless you have a fast hard drive.  I believe your picture book, along with my srx87, came with a slow 42000RPM hard drive.  Technically, this is too slow to write audio that is 48K@24, and you'll find there is nothing you can do to prevent dropouts because the hard drive is simply to slow.  I suggest buying a 72000rpm hard drive, that way it is fast enough to write higher sample rates with out falling behind and producing drop outs. I believe any 9mm hard drive would work but check your specs for the picturebook off of Sony's support page.
So get the hard drive first then worry about the RAM. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:35:17 AM by peeeper »
field: SKM184 > MME > VAIO, D8
home: DA-20 > WT2496

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 03:01:00 PM »
I went with the 40gb and the replace ment was really easy.  You have to remove the keyboard and disconnect the old drive put in the new one and i used a 2k pro cd to book the machine.  After loading win 2kpro i downloaded the drivers from the sony website and everything has been working great.  if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Ryan
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 06:55:20 PM »
will my restore disc work to bott the machine back up after the HD replacement? because i definantly want the dual boot

the only HD's i have found so far are the 4200rpm... il definantly keep looking for the faster ones as im doing 24/96

my picturebook only has 128mb of ram stock and i can only get the 64mb upgrade right now. they used to make a 256mb upgrade, but that has long since vanished and is no longer available. i possibly have a lead on a used one from a fellow taper though who might be getting a new laptop

Offline hzgone

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 07:20:11 PM »
i'm pretty sure your restore disc will work.  I also sent you a link about a 80gb drive that will work with the c1vn.  I have also seen some 128mb memory upgrades on ebay.  I will keep my eye open for the 256.

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 07:27:52 PM »
will those 128mb ram upgrades work? i can just add it to the 128 i allready have?

if so, il go ahead and grab one of those...

that 80gb is quite a bit higher than the other 80gb drives i found from retailers online... im gonna try to find a faster drive and possibly go with 40 or 60gigs

Offline hzgone

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:30:10 PM »
pretty sure it will piggyback on the old 128.  I have a 40gb in mine right now and have a ton of shows sitting on it.

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 07:40:39 PM »
Look for HITACHI 14R9200 hard drive its what I'm using right now.  Its 40GB 7200rpm with 8MB of cache.  I bought mine through newegg.com for around $140.  Never had a problem with it yet.

remember that it's about one hour for every GB of 48K@24 audio.

You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do. --Jerry Garcia

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 11:10:07 PM »
right on man, that sounds like a good deal, hopefully newegg.com still carries those, il pick one up this week!

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 11:15:30 PM »
found them for 165 through other retailers, doesnt look like newegg has them anymore... il keep shopping

Offline peeeper

• Taperssection Regular
  • F-you Maize and Blue!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 11:25:24 PM »
yeah it looks like newegg doesn't have any more.  Mwave also had them, but just searched their site and they are out too.  Here are two places where i did find them being sold.

http://www.abcosystems.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_82_87&products_id=269

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=647037

still worth the few extra bucks.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 01:14:26 AM »
thanks for all the extra help, il definantly be picking one of those up next week and getting this project rolling.

i should know this weekend wether i can have a 256mb upgrade that a fellow taper has, or if i have to go with the 128mb ram upgrade

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 04:07:43 AM »
so does it have to be exactly 9mm? will the 9.5mm hard drive work?

edit: i noticed the hd's you posted links to are 9.5mm... are they all 9.5?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:00:57 AM by caymanreview »

Offline eric dahlgren

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 08:17:19 AM »
"Personally I wouldn't do any recording with a laptop unless you have a fast hard drive.  I believe your picture book, along with my srx87, came with a slow 42000RPM hard drive.  Technically, this is too slow to write audio that is 48K@24, and you'll find there is nothing you can do to prevent dropouts because the hard drive is simply to slow."

that's not true.  4200 rpm is plenty fast for 24/96.  i've done multitracking on my multiset/vaio (4 tracks @ 24/96), and even that doesn't stress the hard drive all that much.

eric

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 08:46:22 AM »
im doing 2 track 24/96 and not noticing any problems, but im going to upgrade anyways, might as well spend a few extra bucks now and make it a little better while i can

Offline eric dahlgren

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »
just food for thought...think of what going to a faster hard drive does.  uses more power and produces more heat.  unless the laptop doubles as your editing machine too, then anything faster than 4200 rpm really isn't needed.  unless you plan on multitracking with lots of channels.

eric

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2004, 02:51:22 PM »
Hey Dustin - if you upgrade the HD in your lappie & want to unload the old drive I'd be interested...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline hzgone

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »
I have not had one problem with my 42000rpm drive.  My only problem is the dongle from the vx pocket coming out.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2004, 06:16:43 PM »
Hey Dustin - if you upgrade the HD in your lappie & want to unload the old drive I'd be interested...

right on, ive got the 15gig, unlike most picturebook users that only have the 12

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2004, 11:44:38 PM »
Heh, pretty much anything will be an upgrade from the 6GB currently in my Toshiba...
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Dr.FOB

• Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2004, 05:29:35 PM »
I think this is the drive you are looking for,
www.hgst.com/hdd/travel/tr7k60.htm

Newegg does have these for $206...

Tom's has a pretty good how-to,
http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20010215/sony_c1ve-07.html
as do a couple of others, google  'C1VN hard drive replacement'

Anyone been into the HD space of a U3 yet?
Neumann gear slut

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2004, 05:56:48 PM »
i had saw toms site, and it is great for us people who have never done this before

thanks for the link

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com