Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External Drive Enclosure Question  (Read 1985 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
External Drive Enclosure Question
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:51:44 PM »
Our desktop finally died tonight and I was going to replace it, but my wife prefers using the laptop and we are broke. In order to get the data off the drive, I was going to pick up an external enclosure off newegg. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy two and use one for the hard drive and the other for a dvdrw drive? The laptop has 2 USB ports and we have a PCMCIA firewire card. I was thinking of connecting both enclosures via firewire to the card, but don't know if the transfer rate from the external hard drive would be fast enough to keep up with the external dvd burner - especially since the firewire is going through the PCMCIA card. I could also connect one or both enclosures via USB, but this would be slower I think?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: External Drive Enclosure Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 10:37:14 PM »
Our desktop finally died tonight and I was going to replace it, but my wife prefers using the laptop and we are broke. In order to get the data off the drive, I was going to pick up an external enclosure off newegg. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy two and use one for the hard drive and the other for a dvdrw drive? The laptop has 2 USB ports and we have a PCMCIA firewire card. I was thinking of connecting both enclosures via firewire to the card, but don't know if the transfer rate from the external hard drive would be fast enough to keep up with the external dvd burner - especially since the firewire is going through the PCMCIA card. I could also connect one or both enclosures via USB, but this would be slower I think?

I've used external harddrive enclosures for a while now.  They were painfully slow using USB 1 but I haven't had any problems since I upgradded to USB 2.  Results with firewire should be similar.

Joe
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:20:22 PM »
I've used external harddrive enclosures for a while now.  They were painfully slow using USB 1 but I haven't had any problems since I upgradded to USB 2.  Results with firewire should be similar better.

Joe

Fixed your quote. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline JNT

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:38:57 PM »
Mostly retired from taping.

JW Mod AKG 460+CK61/CK1/CK2/CK63>V3>
or
AKG CK1x/CK2x/>MK46>JW MOD C460>V3>

AKG C34>

>R44

"Drinking will help us plan!"  Moe Szyslak

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:22:08 AM »
;D

Although it is true.  Firewire has a higher sustained transfer rate, while USB2 theoretically can burst higher.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.206 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com