Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC > UA-5 > PC  (Read 3377 times)

Offline andersonoo7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
PC > UA-5 > PC
« on: July 09, 2004, 01:26:41 PM »
What it is all?  Here is my dilema.  I have audio files on my PC (running XP Pro) and would like to rerecord them in CEP 2.  Am I able to use the USB cable to go out of CEP 2, through the UA-5, and back into CEP 2?  Or, would I have to go D > A > D because I don't have an optical in on my sound card?

I have tried using seperate programs for playback and recording, but nothing seems to work... any help is greatly appreciated.

Nick Anderson
First time reader, First time poster

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Re: PC > UA-5 > PC
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 02:11:59 PM »
What it is all?  Here is my dilema.  I have audio files on my PC (running XP Pro) and would like to rerecord them in CEP 2.

I think the biggest question is, why?  All that you're going to accomplish is a loss in quality.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:18:05 PM »
c'mon john at least explain why :P...........

why not just flac the files, burn a data cd, and preserve the quality of the recording?

the reason i ask is because the ua5 resamples and signal going through it, even digital.  while it's entirely possible that you won't drop samples in a transfer, there is definitely more of a chance it will happen going through a ua5 to another pc than burning a data disc.  plus you just said your soundcard doesn't have a digital in so you'll be going through unnecessary D>A>D stages.

once you get the flac/shn on the other comp, convert it to wav and load into CEP. this is at least how i would do it if you are looking to just get files from one computer to the next.

hope that helps

edit: and welcome to TS.com! +T   lots of great info here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 02:19:51 PM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 02:21:53 PM »
Heh, I'm trying to figure out why he wants to rerecord them so I can offer an alternative solution.  Seems to me he already has the audio file on his pc, what would be the purpose of rerecording it?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 02:24:33 PM »
;D, +t, we got to go easy on our first time posters ;)

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 02:36:45 PM »
;D, +t, we got to go easy on our first time posters ;)
agreed - this place can be scary!
Nick - give us the big picture - tell us what are you trying to accomplish we'll give you the options.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline andersonoo7

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 05:29:10 PM »
Here's the why... to bypass the windows sound driver altogether...

1.  I have recordings that are waaaaaaay to bass heavy and simply eqing is not doing the trick
2.  I have multiple recordings of the same show (both by myself), sbd and room mic... if i wish to matrix these i'll need to rerecord, will I not?  I wish again to bypass the windows sound driver to avoid too much boom and whatnot.

don't worry about why... that's not the concern... the concern is whether or not it can be done... aaaaaaand... these rerecords will go from one comp right back into it... so will/can the usb act as both a line in and line out on the same computer

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 05:46:16 PM »
you dont need to re-record to matrix them

Offline andersonoo7

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 07:29:51 PM »

thanks for you help?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 09:34:56 PM »

1.  I have recordings that are waaaaaaay to bass heavy and simply eqing is not doing the trick
2.  I have multiple recordings of the same show (both by myself), sbd and room mic... if i wish to matrix these i'll need to rerecord, will I not?  I wish again to bypass the windows sound driver to avoid too much boom and whatnot.

don't worry about why... that's not the concern... the concern is whether or not it can be done... aaaaaaand... these rerecords will go from one comp right back into it... so will/can the usb act as both a line in and line out on the same computer

Since you have CEP2 you should be set.  Referring to your points above:

1. Not sure where you can go except to eq these.  Open up a copy of the wave file, be as drastic as you need to be and save it.  CEP lets you preview the sound and there are many presets to get you started (go Effects, Filters, Parametric eq)

2. A matrix is done in the multitrack environment - click on View, Multitrack and then work with multiple tracks.  Keep in mind, this is not for beginners!  You should be completely familiar with audio editing before jumping into multitrack and there will undoubtedly be timing issues in matching your sources.

Seriously though - when you say "don't worry about why" it will probably put some people off who might otherwise share their valuable knowledge.  "Why" is the most important question.  It's not about what did you do wrong when recording, it's more like "what don't you like about what you're hearing now".

I don't quite follow what you mean when you refer to "bypassing the windows sound driver".  The only time this comes into effect is when playing back through the computer.  Audio editing occurs on the data file (wav).  Likewise on the question about USB acting as line in and out.  It is capable of flowing audio data both directions but it sounds like you may be confusing this with some other capabilities.  You might want to spend a little time browsing around here and reading an FAQ or two on computer audio and then coming back with some more questions.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 11:09:46 PM »

All the windows sound driver does in this case is play back the audio files already on your computer.  There's nothing to "bypass" because the audio is already in the digital doman.

Simply converting the files from digital, out of your PC to analog, and then analog back to digital will not have a significant impact on the amount of bass in your recording.  As David and others have suggested, the way to reduce bass in your recording is to apply EQ within CEP2.

2.  I have multiple recordings of the same show (both by myself), sbd and room mic... if i wish to matrix these i'll need to rerecord, will I not?

No, you do not need to re-record to mix these two sources.

I wish again to bypass the windows sound driver to avoid too much boom and whatnot.

Bypassing the windows sound driver will not provide control over the level of boom (or whatnot) in your AUD recording, SBD recording, or the mixed AUD + SBD recording.  CEP2 provides the ability to control the level of "boom" in your mix.

The why is absolutely THE concern.  Processing your files out of your PC then back in will not accomplish the goals you've indicated you're trying to achieve:  control to some degree the sonic characteristics of your mixed (audience + soundboard) recording.

First thing I would do is to not EQ either source independently because you won't know the impact to the mixed source until you combine the AUD and SBD tracks.  It would be pretty inefficient and time consuming to EQ the AUD recording and then mix with the SBD to see if your EQ-ing helped.  I would mix the SBD and AUD sources in CEP without editing the source AUD/SBD files and play around with different ratios of AUD v. SBD.  Assuming your AUD recording is the "boomy" one, less AUD mix relative to the SBD mix will result in less "boom" in your mixed recording.  So, just play around with different amounts of AUD v. SBD.  If you really can't get it the way you want it, mix AUD + SBD til it sounds as close as you can get it to your desired goal (e.g. level of "boominess"), and then EQ the mixed file itself, not the individual AUD or SBD.  My $.02.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 11:14:14 PM »

thanks for you help?

thats all i knew, never done a matrix after the fact ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com