Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help setting up a server...  (Read 1737 times)

Offline ChitownTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help setting up a server...
« on: July 14, 2004, 11:12:42 PM »
Hey!

Hopefully someone on here can help me out, or point me towards a place I can turn for help.  What I want to do is make a server that I can put all sorts of files on and access them.  I also want to set up a FTP for a few local bands to download shows I"ve tape of them.

What I have to work with: About a terabyte of hard drive space across 6 hard drives.  1.7gHz AMD PC running win2k.  G4 powerbook.  I have a wireless router and stuff I can use to setup the wireless network.  I'm not sure how to optimize this.  (I'm VERY new to networking).

So yeah, I know that's about the worst description I could possibly give, but i'm just not sure where to start or what to do.  Right now I only use my Mac w/ an external 120gb drive.  The rest of my hard drive space has shns and video on it, but I just don't use it bc i can't use it with my mac.  And I want to be able to do that.

thanks!
cal

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
Re: Help setting up a server...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 11:28:49 PM »
windows (samba) file sharing and wfptd for windows. Run XP Pro, or try linux! I always liekd this flavor!
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/

Bri

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 01:04:04 PM »
anyone got any BIND suggestions?   :P

been banging my head against this(via FreeBSD 5.1, Slackware 9/10, Debian Woody 3, even RedHat9)) for the past 3 weeks now. . .

the water's clean and innocent

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 02:24:14 PM »
whats the problem? bind's easy.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 02:55:44 PM »
where to begin...guess I should first describe setup and what we want to do.

current setup:
SDSL(w/ 4 static ips 66.xx.xx.16-19) -> Smoothwall 2.0 Linux firewall/gateway(3 nics, serves 2 networks-servers(static ip) and clients(dhcp)).
the Smoothwall box is configured to pass any http/s, ftp, ssh requests ending in a .18 or .19 to the server network where we have 2 servers(their actual static ips are 192.168.10.100-101). Smoothwalls' external ip is .16. Smoothwall was translating the 66.xx.xx.18 to 192.168.10.100, and 66.xx.xx.19 to 192.168.10.101

before we started to setup BIND everything worked correctly. we could serve up http/s, ftp and ssh with no problems. clients and outside could connect to any service we had started on either of the servers.

installed BIND on the .18 server and it successfuly pulled the DNS listings from the root servers, and for about a week, the DNS had propogated back to the root servers so that pinging ourdomian.com was pointing to our server. during this time, the .18 server would not serve anything whether we specified ip or name-based ip, trailing slash or not...we couldnt even surf from that box.

suddenly, pinging the domain name from an outside box would point to a completely different ip(wasnt even a ip belonging to our isp) and we could suddenly surf from the box(we can serve from the box, but only if specifying 66.xx.xx.18 ip).

?????

the water's clean and innocent

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com