Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Laptop recording issue - Need Help  (Read 2163 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Laptop recording issue - Need Help
« on: July 25, 2004, 03:17:11 PM »
Well here is my situation. I have been running UA-5 (Oade Digi-Mod) - USB - Sony PCG-GRS700k (P4/1.8/1024) - SoundForge 6.0E (24/48) for well over a year and recently I have been getting random "pops" for lack of a better term in my recordings. It first showed up on my Bonnaroo recordings. I figured maybe it was enviromental because it had never happened before. Well so I was at the Gathering of the Vibes this past weekend and It shows up on SOME of my recordings and not all. It only seems to effect the laptop (I run DAT as well). I grabed a new USB cable prior to the fest just because i figured it was the cheap fix if that was the problem. The "pops" are few and far between this time unlike the roo recordings where they were everywhere on the recordings. Very strange. I found some low cost vx pockets on ebay so I am thinking I may try that  but seems like an expensive solution to my problem.

HDD was defraged prior to both fests. I have 2 N-charge Batteries. I have optimized win2000 for recording.

Any suggestions ???
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
Re: Laptop recording issue - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 04:04:02 PM »
Well here is my situation. I have been running UA-5 (Oade Digi-Mod) - USB - Sony PCG-GRS700k (P4/1.8/1024) - SoundForge 6.0E (24/48) for well over a year and recently I have been getting random "pops" for lack of a better term in my recordings. It first showed up on my Bonnaroo recordings. I figured maybe it was enviromental because it had never happened before. Well so I was at the Gathering of the Vibes this past weekend and It shows up on SOME of my recordings and not all. It only seems to effect the laptop (I run DAT as well). I grabed a new USB cable prior to the fest just because i figured it was the cheap fix if that was the problem. The "pops" are few and far between this time unlike the roo recordings where they were everywhere on the recordings. Very strange. I found some low cost vx pockets on ebay so I am thinking I may try that  but seems like an expensive solution to my problem.

HDD was defraged prior to both fests. I have 2 N-charge Batteries. I have optimized win2000 for recording.

Any suggestions ???

i know in my experience with my toshiba satellite, that soundforge 6 is a processor hog.  when im
running that on ac power, i get cpu usage around 95-100%.  my lappy is 2.0ghz,512mb.  i switched to CEP2 and wavelab 5 that both average 10-20% processor usage, maybe this is the issue, try using another software program the next time your out recording.  another issue i see with going into the usb on the laptop is the length of the cable.  its recommened that it shouldnt be over 6 feet, i picked up a 3 ft cable, and it has performed flawlessly with with my minime as well as wavelab 5
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 04:51:45 PM »
well I am currently scouring the Net looking for a "DEMO" version of wavelab but still no go. I saw the vx 440 so i figured why not. worst case I have a 2nd card etc. I really want to get the wavelab for the auto-split function.

The cable i am using now is like 4ft-6ft USB 2.0 cable. I was considering getting a PCMCIA USB 2.0 and try that. Just really strange that it wasn't an issue before an now is a constant worry. I guess I wll see if I can get wavelab 5 or the vx pocket or both. Can't give up on my lappy just yet
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 05:10:36 PM »
i hope all goes well, windows can be a pain sometimes
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 05:31:51 PM »
kindms check your pm's ;)

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 05:42:18 PM »
You have IM

;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com