Gear / Technical Help > Cables

Balanced cable wiring descrepancies??

(1/2) > >>

Scooter:
I've seen multiple ways to wire balanced to unbalanced.  Some have it going pin1 & 3 jumpered>sleeve, then pin2>tip w/ screen unused.  I've also seen just pin1>sleeve, and pin2>tip, pin 3 blank w/ screen unused.  Then i've seen pin1>sleeve, pin2>tip, pin3 blank, w/ the screen wired to the case of the XLR, but unconnected on the other end.  Once and for all, which is the correct way??

leegeddy:

--- Quote from: Scooter on September 28, 2004, 12:45:28 PM ---I've seen multiple ways to wire balanced to unbalanced.  Some have it going pin1 & 3 jumpered>sleeve, then pin2>tip w/ screen unused.  I've also seen just pin1>sleeve, and pin2>tip, pin 3 blank w/ screen unused.  Then i've seen pin1>sleeve, pin2>tip, pin3 blank, w/ the screen wired to the case of the XLR, but unconnected on the other end.  Once and for all, which is the correct way??

--- End quote ---

the correct way that i've been taught is:

Pin 2 > Tip (+)
Pin 3 > Shield
Pin 1 > Sheild

never leave Pin 3 open "floating" and never use the shell.

marc

Scooter:
ya, i figured leaving pin 3 floating was a bad idea...  Thanks for the info ;)

hexyjones:
I think the British have a different arrangement for wiring for XLRs??? Anyone confirm....?

ethan:

--- Quote from: leegeddy on September 29, 2004, 12:25:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Scooter on September 28, 2004, 12:45:28 PM ---I've seen multiple ways to wire balanced to unbalanced.  Some have it going pin1 & 3 jumpered>sleeve, then pin2>tip w/ screen unused.  I've also seen just pin1>sleeve, and pin2>tip, pin 3 blank w/ screen unused.  Then i've seen pin1>sleeve, pin2>tip, pin3 blank, w/ the screen wired to the case of the XLR, but unconnected on the other end.  Once and for all, which is the correct way??

--- End quote ---

the correct way that i've been taught is:

Pin 2 > Tip (+)
Pin 3 > Shield
Pin 1 > Sheild

never leave Pin 3 open "floating" and never use the shell.

marc

--- End quote ---

The above is for unbalanced. Balanced has a + and a -.

-e

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version