Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Starter help: DAT or MD or HD recorder?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Starter help: DAT or MD or HD recorder?
« on: October 27, 2004, 03:57:36 PM »
That's the problem, Brian, not sure what direction to go in first!  :P Seems like minidisc is a little less expensive than DAT for sure. I've heard good things about Sharp MD's and have checked online for them. Not having much luck. I certainly don't want anything too complicated, that's for sure. Money is certainly an issue as well! ;D I hate to ask this question since there might be a post that addresses it that I haven't found, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of DAT vs Minidisc vs a Nomad? Thanks for all the help. 8)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 04:11:47 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Real men wear kilts.
Re: Starter help: DAT or MD or HD recorder?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 04:35:51 PM »
JB3 (Nomad) all the way. No media to buy (less $$), FAST transfers, DAT and MD are realtime and most, if not all, portable MD's do not have a digital out. To me the JB# is the most newbie friendly and affordable way to go. There are still several from Creative on eBay for $139.99!
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 04:55:38 PM »
Thanks for the additional comments, everyone - keep 'em coming.  I think the original post is now up to date with the additional comments:

DAT

Pros

• Proven reliable
    • Archivable media
    • Easily powered via internal batteries
    • Reliable coax S/PDIF digital-in capability
    • Good/decent analog line-in and ADC (D100/M1/DA-P1)
    • Easy to patch with the proper digital cable
    • Supports upgrade path from analog-in to digital-in using an outboard ADC
    • Long, uninterrupted recording times (commonly used tapes are 2 and 3 hrs in length)
    • Good level meters allow easy setting of levels

Cons

• More expensive than other options
    • Media costs ($1.50-$5 per 2 hr tape)
    • Real-time transfer from DAT to portable / playbable format (i.e. CD) (assuming you don't use your portable deck for playback or buy a secondary deck for playback)
    • Computer soundcard or digital-in standlone CD recorder required for transfers (more gear, more $)
    • Damn proprietary 7-pin cables are expensive
    • Difficult to determine usage hours on portable units resulting in risky used purchases from unknown entities
    • Somewhat expensive to repair
    • Crappy analog line-in and ADC (D7/D8)
    • Slow tape swaps required if media changes necessary (e.g. due to running out of tape)
[/color]

MD

Pros

• Inexpensive relative to DAT
    • Small
    • Easily powered by AA batteries
    • Re-usable / archivable media
    • Reasonably reliable for field use
    • Newer models support on-the-fly level changes

Cons

• Compression (ATRAC)
    • Crappy analog line-in and ADC (relative to DAT)
    • Short record times (~74min) before disc-swap required
    • No digital output = no digital feeds to patchers
    • Home deck required for digital transfers to CD via computer
    • Older units do not allow on-the-fly level changes
    • Crappy level meter
    • Disc skips possible if moved while recording
    • No easy upgrade path from analog-in to digital-in
[/color]

Hi-MD

Pros

• More expensive than regular MD and JB3, but not as expensive as DAT
    • Small
    • Easily powered by AA batteries
    • Re-usable / archivable media
    • Reasonably reliable for field use
    • Decent recording time of 90min uncompressed WAV (16-bit / 44.1kHz)

Cons

• Expensive media
    • Poor analog line-in and ADC (relative to DAT)
    • Though supports digital optical input, digital-in recordings still require analog transfers
    • No digital output = no digital feeds to patchers
    • Sketchy level meters
    • Disc skips possible if moved while recording
    • While a potential upgrade path exists from analog-in to digital-in, the path cannot be realized due to the inability to transfer digitally recordings made via digital-in
    • Anecdotal feedback suggests SonicStage software may occasionally irreperably damage audio files
[/color]

HD (Creative Nomad Jukebox 3)*

Pros

• Inexpensive relative to DAT and Hi-MD
    • Decent analog line-in and ADC
    • Easy and fast transfer from HD to computer / CD via USB / Firewire
    • Proving reliable (though not as long a field history as DAT)
    • Easily powered via internal or external batteries
    • Reliable optical digital-in capability
    • Easy to patch with digital format converter (DFC, e.g. Hosa ODL-276)
    • Supports upgrade path from analog-in to digital-in using an outboard ADC
    • Long, uninterrupted recording times (3 hrs in a single file)
    • Easy and fast transition to a new file if recording time runs out
    • Long run-time from internal batteries (two batts @ ~3 hrs each = ~6 hrs)
    • No media to buy
    Cons

• Proprietary internal batteries (more $)
    • Possibly discontinued / limited availability
    • No real third-party service options if repairs necessary
    • No digital-out = no digital feeds to patchers if running analog-in on the JB3
    • Patching from digital sources requires splitter and usually DFC (most digital feeds are coax, JB3 is optical)
    • Crap level meters makes setting levels aggressively challenging when running analog-in
    • Some feel it's too large for stealthing (bah, I say)
    • Some people don't like the software used for transfers (easily remedied with $20 Notmad Explorer)
    • Some don't feel the analog line-in and ADC stages are high enough quality (listen and decide for yourself)
*See Nomad JB3 Tapers FAQ and Operating FAQ in the Archival Info forum for more information.
[/list][/color]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 04:42:58 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »
Russ:

One thing you haven't told us is what you plan to do with the deck.  If you're planning on patching into others' recording setups, I'll buck the trend and opine that a dat is the easiest way to go for somebody getting into recording, as it's merely "plug and play" for a digital patch. 

Let us know what you're thinking of doing with the deck.

Darrin

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 05:21:58 PM »
Only things I have to really add

a con for MD- have to buy/carry media (I think you are looking at about $1-$1.50 a disc... not sure on that though)

for adjusting levels on the fly, it might be nice to note which ones do not need to be paused- I can personally attest that the NetMD N-707 does not need to be paused to adjust the levels on the fly.  However, the levels meters were not in stereo- there was one.  Which channel that measured is anyones guess.

a con for NJB3: some people seem to think that its too large, and thus less stealthy.  I am not one of them, but they are out there.
also a con for NJB3:  The input problem- where the ring around the input can preclude some fatter cords from plugging in all the way.
also a con for NJB3:  Many people think the software sucks.  Only other option is Notmad, which costs $20 (I believe)
also a con for NJb3:  I don't think the a/d's are nearly sufficient- I rarely see a source thats DPA ->MS60xx box-> NJB3;
My speculation is because the a/d's are not that good, or because I am just not looking hard enough...  :P

hopefully this helps, and is not wildly off-base.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 05:24:59 PM »
And don't forget about Sony's HiMD...
 :-\
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 05:40:38 PM »
I will comment on the MD because I own one (although I'm thinking about some upgrade ...).
Levels: On Sharp models  and newer Sony models , you can adjust on the fly.
On most models, the line-in is also an optical digital-in, so going digital could be an option.
The new HiMD models lets you record 1h30 uncompressed stereo at 44 Khz. But the new media is still hard to find (Sony have some trouble there. Around 7$ if you find the new media). It is also possible to transfer from a HiMD to a PC via USB1, but only from an analog source (thanks to Sony protection ...).
And the price range for the new HiMD is roughly in between JB3 and DAT.

Edited for media price.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 05:45:27 PM by Roamer »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:04:48 PM »
Thanks, pfife, good input.  I thought I'd included the media on the MD side, oops.  Regarding MD unit's specific level-setting functionality, I'm not looking to get into the level of detail required to list which MDs support on-the-fly recording levels or not.  As for the JB3 cons, a few comments...

a con for NJB3: some people seem to think that its too large, and thus less stealthy.  I am not one of them, but they are out there.

Yup.  Can't hurt to put in a reference.

also a con for NJB3:  The input problem- where the ring around the input can preclude some fatter cords from plugging in all the way.

This is an easily resolvable known issue, therefore I don't really consider it a con.  I could also list tape mis-loads as a con for DAT, switches on the back that get moved easily and inadvertently, etc.  But those types of things are generally easily prevented and therefore, IMO, a non-issue.

also a con for NJB3:  Many people think the software sucks.  Only other option is Notmad, which costs $20 (I believe)

Good point, forgot about the s/w side - because using Notmad I never have to deal with the crappy stock s/w!

also a con for NJb3:  I don't think the a/d's are nearly sufficient- I rarely see a source thats DPA ->MS60xx box-> NJB3;
My speculation is because the a/d's are not that good, or because I am just not looking hard enough...  :P

I think you'd be hard pressed to find that sort of source.  I think the perception is that the NJB3 ADC is insufficient.  I think the blind test I posted earlier this year (though obvoiusly not scientific) indicates that most tapers - and some fairly well experienced ones taboot - either preferred the JB3 or couldn't tell the difference.  All that said, it's probably worth mentioning, but I don't want to come out and say outright it's insufficient, because for most people I don't think it is.

I think maybe my "disc skips possible" for MD is off-base - any regular MD users want to correct me?

Roamer - thanks for the HiMD plug, forgot about those!  Will update later...
Roland R-05

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 06:12:46 PM »
*]No real service options if repairs necessary
Really? If my JB3 goes wacko (which it hasn't...I freakin' love the thing), am I SOL? I can't believe that Creative's support is that bad....you have direct experience with this happening?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 06:40:05 PM by Tony B »
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 07:37:33 PM »
being an owner of a minidisc (mzr-70) a dat (d8) and a jb3 i would say i like the njb3 the most if i am running a rig in front of it

but if i were to go and try to patch a show, i would most likely bring the d8 as it is still more universally acceptable in the taping world IMO. a set of AA, a pair of $3 90m tapes and an oade 7pin digi i/o cable will get you through a decent show and provides the archivable media. i wouldnt want to take the chance to bring the jb3 and not have an optical patch available. also, if there is a large chain of patchers the dat will accompany the chain much better than the jb3. if there is no optical line in avaiable then you will have to settle for an analog feed which seems to defeat the purpose of having any digital device. i guess if i got one of those hosa boxes it would help things a bit, but if i am thinking of patching i am bringing the least amount of gear that i will need

the way prices are today you can get both a d7/d8 and a jb3 for about the same price as a new/refurb d8 cost a few years back, and probably the same price as an m1 now. something to think about also.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 07:49:33 PM »
I don't very often see new DAT machines priced competitively with the JB3, or even used ones for that matter.  Well, maybe a D7, but they're pretty darn old at this stage and with no way to identify the actual hours on the unit - risky.

Anyway, a straight D7/D8 may be more universally accepted as a patching setup, but IMO for no other reason that it's what people are accustomed to seeing.  A coax patch is a coax patch is a coax patch.  Patchers use (or should use) splitters, too.  And as you suggest, the Hosa ODL-276 is an easy solution to patching with the JB3.  Splitter + ODL-276 poses no real challenges in a patching scenario (unless you want to string multiple JB3 together, but there's really no need to do so - if there is, simply transfer in literally a few minutes after the show from one JB3 to another, or place a DAT deck between the two JB3s to "refresh" the S/PDIF signal).  In fact, there's even an advantage to the splitter + Hosa scenario:  if your JB3 croaks, you don't screw up the patch of people downstream from you, as would happen if your DAT batteries ran too low or your tape runs out.
Roland R-05

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 08:17:41 PM »
all good points bri

the other thing i wanted to add that i forgot before is the levels on the dats are far superior to the jb3. probably wont matter much if patching either way, but it is a better frame of reference for consistant levels and overages with a dat than with a jb3.

i wonder sometimes if the jb3's over lights actually go off a few db under 0 cause i seem to recall that the jb3 over indicator went off while the d8 is close to 0 but not over the limit

or maybe i'm just a little fuzzy.

in any event, not trying to sway one way or another just trying to give my viewpoint. i like using the jb3 with my whole rig, but if i had to patch i would probably use the d8....thats just me.

as for transferring from one jb3 to another jb3 after a show, although not new to the jb3, i have never done that, and wouldnt know how to go about it...what cable would you use, mini usb to mini usb? 4 pin firewire to 4 pin firewire? when the 2 units hook up what kind of interface shows up? same menu screens but you can see the others albums/tracks etc as well as your own? or am i missing something (door opens for showing me a link to this to fill me in  :P ), also does it matter if the two dont share the same firmware?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 08:43:30 PM »
you would hook up jb3>jb3 via 4-pin>4-pin firewire, then go to the one w/ the 'sets' youd liek to send, and one by one, highlight the file you want to send and tap in the scroll wheel on the file, and scroll to 'send file' ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 09:45:16 PM »
also a con for NJb3:  I don't think the a/d's are nearly sufficient- I rarely see a source thats DPA ->MS60xx box-> NJB3;
My speculation is because the a/d's are not that good, or because I am just not looking hard enough...  :P

I think you'd be hard pressed to find that sort of source.  I think the perception is that the NJB3 ADC is insufficient.  I think the blind test I posted earlier this year (though obvoiusly not scientific) indicates that most tapers - and some fairly well experienced ones taboot - either preferred the JB3 or couldn't tell the difference.  All that said, it's probably worth mentioning, but I don't want to come out and say outright it's insufficient, because for most people I don't think it is.

This past weekend I ran V2>JB3 and V2>D100 for the same set (out of the RCAs for the DAT and XLR out for the JB3) and definitely did notice a difference. Even though the output of the V2's XLRs are hotter, the recording seems more distant, almost like the band was in a well if that makes any sense.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 10:24:34 PM »
Mini-Disc
  • Compression (ATRAC)
  • Many units require a paused recording to make level changes
  • Short record times (~74min) before disc-swap required

With the new Hi-MD units:
1/3. You can record about 1:30 of uncompressed, 16/44.1 audio on a Hi-MD disc, though they are a bit scarce and expensive now (~$10 CDN for a single disc through SonyStyle.ca).  With Atrac3+ 256kbps compression -- which some will object to, of course, but others can live with -- you can get 7+ hours on a single Hi-MD disc, which is much more than one would need for a single concert. 

2. At least with the MZ-NH900, you must pause hte unit initially to put it in "manual level" mode; however, after that, you can adjust the levels on the fly so long as you don't actually stop recording at any point.  This means that once you have it setup at the beginning of the show, you CAN adjust on-the-fly without pausing.

I don't know if the second point applies to all models, as I just have the NH900 myself.  There is a model out there somewhere with a 3-line backlit remote, which gives you nice, convenient meters, but I'll agree that the built-in LCD meters are really almost useless in a dark room situation... :(

Warning: The high speed USB1 transfers to SonicStage have been known to "trash" the occasional recording beyond repair.  YMMV, but I, for one, would not want to risk a one-time concert recording to this somewhat inferior software. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com