Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Celron or Pentium 4 ???  (Read 4324 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Celron or Pentium 4 ???
« on: November 15, 2004, 08:58:53 PM »
I am going to enter the world of laptop recording and don't have the balls to buy used.  So I am looking a cheep dell.  It is comming down to this.  Intel Celeron Processor 2.6 GHz or Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.8GHz.  The 4 is going to cost an extra 115$.  How much faster are we talking about?  Is it worth it?  Pros cons?  Any help would be great.  I don't know that much about computers so spell it out for me.  Do I need the 4?  Will I be glad that I got it? 
Thanks,
Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: Celron or Pentium 4 ???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:14:47 PM »
The celeron is slower at the same clock speed since they have less (or no) cache.

Here is my standard line of advice to anybody going to buy computer stuff:

Research on www.tomshardware.com before you buy.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:19:20 PM »
FYI - people in the past using Dells have run into issues with glitches being introduced into their tapes when the laptop lids are opened/shut.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:39:38 PM »
Details puhweese.  Got links?

There are several "flavors" of both of those processors.

Regardless, the Celeron will be slower then the P4 due directly to it's slower bus speed (400mhz vs. 533/800mhz*) and it's lesser amount of cache (128k vs. 512k/1MB*).

Cache is very important.  It equates to a faster version of RAM which is stored directly on the processor.

The analogy of a workshop does wonders in explaining how important cache/bus speed is.

You have a workbench where you create widgets, and then 50 feet away you have a shelf where the parts are located to create widgets.

The bus speed (FSB) could equate to a wagon you use to carry parts from the shelf over to your work bench.  The faster the wagon the less time it takes to get parts from the shelf over to the work bench to be used.

The workbench itself is your cache.  The bigger your workbench (cache) the more parts you can hold at the point where work takes place and the less you have to go back and forth over to the shelf to get more parts.

You get more work done with a bigger bench and a faster wagon because you can assemble more widgets because less time is wasted.

Does that make sense?  I believe its worth the extra $150.  However the requirements for laptop taping as I know are probably well within the limits of the Celeron.

Take care,
Nick

* Depends on flavor of P4 and Celeron
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 09:42:10 PM »
unconfirmed anecdote:  celerons don't maintain the same performance as well as a pentium does either.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:14:49 AM »
wouldn't the celeron require less power?

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 08:39:12 AM »

Actually probably not.

I'd assume that these are both "mobile" chips, but again, we haven't seen any real specs from the person who issued the question.

If you compare the Pentium 4-M 1.4ghz chip to the Pentium 4 Mobile Celeron 1.4ghz chip the standard P4 requires less voltage (1.3v 26watts)  then the Celeron (1.3v 30watts).

It also appears as if the newer P4 Mobiles have the ability to half step their bus speeds, which would require less voltage.  For instance their 3.2ghz chip can run at 1.6ghz and requires only 1.2watts at "half speed" compared to 1.5watts at "full speed".

So we'd, again, have to see exactly which to chips to compare, as a blanket statement won't fit.

Take care,
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline C.Clark

• Rediscovering the Magic!
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Too Many Shows!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 12:01:47 PM »
i got my 2nd laptop about a year ago, toshiba satelltie, w/ 2 ghz celeron, 512mb ram and 40 gb HD, and
the thing runs like a champ out in the field, never had any problems with performance and even run
the processor at half speed to save juice, whether you go celeron or p4, there is hardly any performance
issues for application out in the field.  now if you were gonna use it for high performace video games, CAD drawing or high processor speed applications, its lower bus speed might affect it, but for taping, you'll need less than half of that 2.6ghz processor, whether its celeron or pentium class, hope this helps. oh and to add, as long as you have a bunch of ram, it will pick up some of the slack of the processor
-chris
Current Rig:
Mics: Neumann SKM184, Neumann SKM185, AKG C414 XLS/ST, DPA ST2015
Recorder: SD MixPre-6ii, SD MixPre-10ii
Extras: SD MixPre-D, SD USBPre2, Sony TCD-D8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Rigs:
ADK TL --> Segue Dogstars --> SD 722
AT4051a --> Segue Dogstars --> MP-2 --> SD 722
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> VxPocket V2 --> Laptop
AT4051a --> V2 --> MiniMe --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> V2 --> Mod SBM-1 --> Sony TCD-D100
AT4051a --> MP-2 --> AD1000 --> Sony TCD-D100
AKGC1000s --> Denecke PS/2 --> Denecke AD-20 --> Sony MiniDisc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://db.etree.org/cpclar

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 01:00:30 PM »
i got my 2nd laptop about a year ago, toshiba satelltie, w/ 2 ghz celeron, 512mb ram and 40 gb HD, and
the thing runs like a champ out in the field, never had any problems with performance and even run
the processor at half speed to save juice, whether you go celeron or p4, there is hardly any performance
issues for application out in the field.  now if you were gonna use it for high performace video games, CAD drawing or high processor speed applications, its lower bus speed might affect it, but for taping, you'll need less than half of that 2.6ghz processor, whether its celeron or pentium class, hope this helps. oh and to add, as long as you have a bunch of ram, it will pick up some of the slack of the processor
-chris

this is true.
for audio work, cpu and ram are the least of your concerns(anything over 1Gz and over 512RAM is more than fine). however, if you plan on doing anything else with this unit, expecially heavy CPU action, then go with the P4 or a AMD(not Duron) and a good graphics card(graphics cards are inconsequential to audio work)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 01:03:47 PM »
I have found the battery life I get using a centrino processor is amazing, can get close to 3 hours of recording out of one lappie battery.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 01:04:25 PM »
fwiw. i use a p3 667mhz w/ 128mb ram at 24/48. you should be fine either way.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
gotcha beat.  P II 400mhz w128mb ram @ 24/48.  & it's a junk dell @ that.

FYI - people in the past using Dells have run into issues with glitches being introduced into their tapes when the laptop lids are opened/shut.

I've heard that but isn't the case for my Latitude LS. 

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 02:33:20 PM »
got all y'all beat so far... I taped MMW last weekend using a Celeron 400 w/64MB Ram
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 09:55:44 PM »
With the gateway lappie I use for taping I don't have issues when opening or closing the screen, but if I change screen brightness at all it makes all sorts of weird souds in the recording, something I learned the hard way.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 11:05:26 PM »
I went with a mobile intel pentium 4 processor 538 538 3.20ghz.  I figure that the hard drive and ram can be upgraded.  Thanks for the info I will be back for more.  Next on the list: battery, multitrack interface, and software. 
Ed
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline BWolf

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always on the prowl...
    • Etree Trading List
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 09:26:34 AM »

Actually probably not.

I'd assume that these are both "mobile" chips, but again, we haven't seen any real specs from the person who issued the question.

If you compare the Pentium 4-M 1.4ghz chip to the Pentium 4 Mobile Celeron 1.4ghz chip the standard P4 requires less voltage (1.3v 26watts)  then the Celeron (1.3v 30watts).

It also appears as if the newer P4 Mobiles have the ability to half step their bus speeds, which would require less voltage.  For instance their 3.2ghz chip can run at 1.6ghz and requires only 1.2watts at "half speed" compared to 1.5watts at "full speed".

So we'd, again, have to see exactly which to chips to compare, as a blanket statement won't fit.

Take care,
Nick

nick, great advice and awesome job explaining cache, i may have to use that example some time when i'm explaining.  only one thing i noticed in your post.  the chips require the same voltage across the borad (1.3 V), but different power factors.  This causes a difference not in the amount of power that needs to be provided, but instead current.  This is something to think about for lappie guys, especailly guys who are trying to use external batteries to power their computer.
"The best jazz is funky, and the best funk is jazzy" -SMOOTH
------------------------------------------------------
Neumann AK20/AK40s > LC3 > KM100 > Lunatec V3 (MS mod) > SD 722 or Microtrack 24/96  (Hi-Ho Silver Custom Interconnects)
------------------------------------------------------

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com