Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do you run your laptop  (Read 3891 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
how do you run your laptop
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »
When taping, where do you keep your laptop?  Outside your bag?  Inside your bag? (if you do what bag?)  What do you do about beer spilling?  Any suggestions.  My laptop is around 9x9
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline mirth

• Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: how do you run your laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 12:31:20 AM »
closed in the open back compartment of my yellow rakgear. Lately I've had some heat issues even with the top open which has fried a couple sodimms. Now I'm starting to keep an eye out for a Portege, a Lifebook, or one of the C1x Sonys... all of which should be small enough to fit on the middle shelf in my rakgear's main compartment.

IIRC, Rhys (hermann2burn) who has a Portege 3480 or somthing like that runs his on the middle shelf of his rakgear.

My current laptop is 9x13.5 (full size Toshiba) and is too large for anyplace but the back compartment.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:01:20 AM »
i ran mine in a sonicase for a long time. but i had the sony picturebook series that fits perfectly on the top shelf of a sonicase. i used a rackgear backpack for quite some time also and it worked well. ive only left mine outside the pack at one venue (canopy club, champaign illinois) because the "section" is FOB and there is a 2ft wide solid wood rail,a dn then the floor is a couple feet lower so there werent any probs with people being able to get to it at all

silverbullet

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 07:49:07 AM »
my lappie is pretty large. Nothing but a table for me and often I bring my own table.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 07:55:21 AM »
my lappie is pretty large. Nothing but a table for me and often I bring my own table.

that would suck to have to carry in a small table to setup gear on :P

kskreider

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:27:49 AM »
I usually set up on a table with my lid closed too.  My laptop is rather big (Sony K13) and actually runs pretty hot too, so I can't really do the bag thing.

Most of the small clubs that I tape in all have small tables available.  Either that or we have scoped out the venue to the extent that we have key spots where we can have access to a Lazy Boy and a table (Lost Dog), or be able to set it up behind the sound board where it is drunk-free (The Haunt), or just far off to the side of the stage (Castaway's). 

Regarding wandering beers, cover your laptop with a bar towel (you should have one in your gear bag regardless).  I don't usually use one, but my buddy here in town uses a dry cleaning bag.  It is clear enough to see your screen through and light enough to fold up and keep in your gear bag while maintaining the desired beer-free state.

...Kk 

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 08:57:57 AM »
I run my Fujitsu Lifebook closed with the end that has the vxpocket and cooling vents sticking out of the top of my bag.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 09:29:39 AM »
Know that I know my levels and don't have to look at it, usually closed and in a laptop bag, with the air vents exposed.  It ends up being upright, but upside down if that makes sense.  It stays pretty cool that way.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 09:43:52 AM »
I have to go out of bag for mine, since I'm yet to find any bag that can hold it in it's partially-open state (my powerbook goes to sleep if closed). I wedge foam in there to prop it open, but I can't fit it in a bag. I don't need to look at it at all, though it's nice to check a few times during the show to ensure it hasn't errored out or anything. I check levels on my ADC itself.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 09:59:27 AM »
when i ran a 12 inch powerbook, it fit perfectly in the middle shelf of a rakgear deluxe notebook backpack.

the uln2 was in the back pocket, v3 on the top shelf of the rakgear, powerbook in the middle shelf and batteries on the bottom and sides.  could have a whole v3 > uln2 > powerbook in the backpack, standing up,  with it all zipped up

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 10:39:43 AM »
I like to check my levels every once in a while, and I don't like to run it w/ the lid closed, so I run it sitting on top of my closed bag with the lid slightly open.  Works for me, just have to keep folks away from my rig...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 11:04:19 AM »
yeah - I used to to that ...until the green sticky drink incident.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:45:13 AM »
Ya, not looking forward to that possibly happening :(.  Luckily, it's a cheap 2nd laptop that I use for taping, not my main one.  As long as my VXpocket don't get hosed, i'm cool.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 02:03:43 PM »
Here's what I just set up for myself and it's worked perfectly so far.

www.photobucket.com/albums/v505/fsulloway
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 04:41:40 PM »
Here's what I just set up for myself and it's worked perfectly so far.

www.photobucket.com/albums/v505/fsulloway

very nice setup. +t.  i dont have pics but i keep my laptop in a neoprene case w/ holes cut for ventilation and cables on a target shelf which sits on top of my valence w/ my usbpre inbetween. they sit in my backpack and can open/close w/ fair ease to check levels or restart. :P
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com