Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Classical recording snafu - tricks on "pulling the sound closer" ?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
Moke, where are you ?

I pulled a darrol anger fiddle ensemble show a month or so ago, and i think i was a little too high , in the auditorium that is.   i'm getting too much of the "room" and not enough of the impact from the instruments..... it sounds a little distant, and the bass is way too 'round'

if this makes any sense and anyone knows a few EQ or other tricks that i can pull off in soundforge, i'm all ears....
it's still listenable, but this show was with bryan sutton, and i'm really wanting to pull his sound in a bit, and tighten up the bass.  the fiddles sound pretty good....high end cutting through ?

thanks, john
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Classical recording snafu - tricks on "pulling the sound closer" ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
For the bass, try a band limited compressor and blending it to mono.
If you would like me to try to screw around with it, send PM me.

For classical recording in the future, try not to be more than 50% away from the stage.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Classical recording snafu - tricks on "pulling the sound closer" ?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:23:41 PM »
Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition) has a noise reduction tool which I have been fiddling with a bit.
Set to -6db and about 20 - 25% it can really put the ambience down and tighten bass by limiting the attack time (it "chips" off the leading edge of the waveform)
Use it with your hands on the controls, and carefully preview first.

Cool Edit has surprized me several times in what it is capable of.  It's simple, but capable.
Sort of like Photoshop Elements, not the full boat, but a lot of neat tricks......and it will open a 3.7 GB .WAV file, neat trick !

Presence is about 3kHz to 10kHz, often used to describe "closeness" to source. Try a gentle +3db curve centered around 6kHz, and an +/- octave wide and see what it does for you.

Good luck and let us know what results you get.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com