Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP! (Mics +)  (Read 2709 times)

Offline vidmasterflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HELP! (Mics +)
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:17 PM »
I know starting a new thread is discouraged in favor of researching previous threads, but my head is spinning and I need help.

I recently came into some money ($2G's) and I am going to spend it on a taping rig.

The question is, how?

Do I go for the UA-5, Nomad JB3, and then 2 nice mics (microtec gessels? AKG's? Neummanns?)

Would I be better off buying a V3 and some not so nice mics?

I assume that the UA-5, JB3 combo is the way to go for a newb, but I am so hesitant to buy mics. Now that I will only seldomly attend music in Arenas and sheds, I anticpate taping music in clubs and theaters (GRaB Trio, DSO, P-Groove, and hopefully some new bands I haven't heard yet).

Going with the UA-5, JB3 set up, what mics would you, wise sages, recommend with the approximate amount of $ I'll have left. (Plus, which Oade mods should I get?)

If there's another setup you would recommend, my ears are wide open.

-Drew

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
Re: HELP! (Mics +)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
i would recomend finding those bands on the archive and listening to as many recording as possible on YOUR playback system to see which ones YOU like....its doesnt matter what anyone else says really...its all about what you want to hear....

that being said..i really like my ua5 jb3 combo...and that leaves quite abit of money for a really nice set of mics...
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
You seem to have the right idea. Listen to shows on archive.org that have one of the UA-5 mods as a source and see what mics people like pairing with it. At the same time, find a variety of mic sources and see which perform best to your ears with the type of music and taping you think you'll be doing most.

I think with new recording technologies emerging, going for a JB3 to tape "right now" is probably the best bet for your dollar.

Don't be afraid to buy used mics. You'll save some money and if you don't like them after a while, it won't be hard to get most of your money back in a sale. Same goes for the UA-5. The JB3, I'd buy new if you can find one.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 05:12:55 PM »
Good advice from RazorBack - I'd DL several different sources of the same show and see which you prefer.  PH is really good for this - you can get several different rigs all recording the same stuff...  Eventually you'll fnd what you prefer...

I'd also find local tapers and ask them for advice about the local venues...  Listen to their tapes, and see how you like them.  You may hear a great MG>V3>M1 set from some outdoor shed, but hearing that same set up in your local venue may produce totally different results... 

Best bet is to listen around for a few months, paying very close attention to sources, and then pick...  Who knows, by then might be able to turn that $2k into $3k and get a fatter rig...

But if it was my money, I'd go for ADK A51 TL > WMod UA5 > JB3.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 05:16:53 PM »
Good advice from RazorBack - I'd DL several different sources of the same show and see which you prefer.  PH is really good for this - you can get several different rigs all recording the same stuff...  Eventually you'll fnd what you prefer...

I'd also find local tapers and ask them for advice about the local venues...  Listen to their tapes, and see how you like them.  You may hear a great MG>V3>M1 set from some outdoor shed, but hearing that same set up in your local venue may produce totally different results... 

Best bet is to listen around for a few months, paying very close attention to sources, and then pick...  Who knows, by then might be able to turn that $2k into $3k and get a fatter rig...

But if it was my money, I'd go for ADK A51 TL > WMod UA5 > JB3.

Terry

ya...i have heard some really good tapes with the tl's....and with the options of switchable patterns...makes these mikes a great choice...IMHO...i like sd mics, i dont llike to carry to much weight...but YMMV......again...its ALL up to you at this point....

good luck...hand around..read thru the archives...d/l some from the bt's/archive..anywhere you can find....listen and see ....i wish i would have done this first..i probably woulda thrown alot more into my playback early......as i can d/l TONS of shows....but thats just me...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline vidmasterflash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 05:25:38 PM »
Thanks a bunch for the advice. So the W mod is the way to go, huh?

BTW, what does SD / TL mean?

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 05:30:53 PM »
sd is small diaghram...the smaller mics

tl is the name on the mics...AKD 51 TL's..they come in matched pairs if you search..

wmod is a good mod...there are two others that lots of people like alot...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 05:31:58 PM »
A warm mod is the way to go for certain people and their discriminating ears.  What YOU decide will be determined by your own experiences.  Just because two of us suggest the WMod UA5 doesn't mean jack, there are plenty of people here who will tout the V3...

As for TL, TL is the model type for the ADK A51S mics.  I use the LE model (limited edition) and the TL (TransformerLess???) is very similar.  You can find both here:  www.adkmic.com

SD means "small diaphragm" and is "opposite" of LD or "large diaphragm".  AKG 39x and the Studio Project C4 are examples of SD mics, they are about 4 inches long and as big-a-round as your finger.

LD mics are the big honking ones.  They are generally 6 inches in length and about 3 inches diameter.

There really is no difference, what you get out of mics (whether SD or LD) depends on many factors like mic placement, brand, what kind of pre-amp you have, etc.  A well-placed crap mic will record better than a poorly placed Neumann...

Once again, you will have to do some listening to determine what mic(s) you like. 

Terry

« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 05:36:11 PM by twatts »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 05:39:11 PM »
Here..its a little fluff...
used equip from the yard sale

w-mod ua5
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33259.0

AKG 480's
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33339.15

search ebay for the jb3
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 07:01:48 PM »
put your money into your mics...always do that first, you will be glad you did.

and the TL's are an excellent choice at an excellent price
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com