Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another ORTF question  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Another ORTF question
« on: January 23, 2005, 01:06:54 PM »
Now I know I have asked this sort of quesiton before, but this is little more specific.  Any ideas are grately appreciated

Okay I realize that ORTF is a stereo taping technique, but I have a question/dilemma. 

My dilemma is this:

I usually tape in a small club (Freebird Live), the speaker stacks are about 21’ apart and I usually tape with my mics (DPA 4023’s) hanging from the balcony about 28’ back and I can use either the DPA ORTF bar or a regular t-bar .  If I run ORTF then my mics are pointing toward the walls of the club, one wall being the bar area, which can get chatty.

My question is this: 

Is it better to point my mics at the stacks or run ORTF with my mics not pointing at the stacks? 

Thanks,
colin
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: Another ORTF question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 01:11:48 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is how you want your tapes to sound.

I know that seems really vague, but here's what I'm getting at. Just last night I had a guy ask me why I didn't point my mics directly at the stacks (I was running DIN by the way). I explained it this way - your ears are off axis, i.e. they don't point directly at the sound source either. They create a stereo image in your head. Pointing directly at the stacks too me sounds like a dual mono tape...no imaging. Sure the bar area may be chatty, but it might help create an ambience.

I hope this makes sense

;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:06:07 PM »
You could try the XY position to tighten up the included angle a bit and reduce chatter. This can help clean up the sound also, if it is bassy in there. To me the DPA 402x sound a little too bright when pointed directly at the stacks. Why not run a comparison sometime, go XY or ORTF one set, then try a more "point at the stack" type config with your t-bar for the next set.

Good luck,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 02:54:35 PM »
One thing you could try which has worked well for me, is to point at the outside edges of the stacks.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 02:33:22 AM »
BINGO, coouple of nites ago, i ran ORTF way FOB, bout 15ft from the stage lip, well, it just so happened taht the mics were poitning at the outer edges of the stacks, a great way to pull consistent tapes :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »
DPAs also have one of the cleanest off-axis responses in the business. Don't worry about how it "looks" unless whatever you're actually pointing at is louder than the music.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline d5

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 04:02:38 PM »
being about 28' away, with the stacks about 21' apart, then pointing at the edges would give you an included angle of about 45 degrees and with cardioids I don't think you'd end up with much of a stereo image. it's probably also too far away for ortf and the sound of the room may be exaggerated, but it's worth a test. i'd probably do x-y or din, both 90 degrees.

...my 2 cents
JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 04:24:33 PM »
being about 28' away, with the stacks about 21' apart, then pointing at the edges would give you an included angle of about 45 degrees and with cardioids I don't think you'd end up with much of a stereo image. it's probably also too far away for ortf and the sound of the room may be exaggerated, but it's worth a test. i'd probably do x-y or din, both 90 degrees.

...my 2 cents
better yet, a modified din and drop the angle to about 70 degrees and hope for a compromise of evils  ;)...it's kind of like voting...it's th best you can do given the choices.
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 04:30:49 PM »

...my 2 cents
better yet, a modified din and drop the angle to about 70 degrees and hope for a compromise of evils  ;)...it's kind of like voting...it's th best you can do given the choices.

I have to agree 100% I have found that ortf with my schoeps at greater distances does exaggerate the sound off the room. The recordings are decent, just somewhat more 'ambient', if you will. I have ben using dina(17cm, 90 deg) fob and further back with very decent, consistent results. Have fun  ;D
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com