Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: playing shns on linux  (Read 1989 times)

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
playing shns on linux
« on: February 08, 2005, 10:29:32 PM »
i've been working on my linux drive (redhat 9) the last few days, finally got my soundcard to work.  installed flac, shorten, shntool, and flac plugin for xmms but i'm having some problems installing the xmms-shn plugin.  just curious to see if anyone here has ever successfully installed the plugin.  i can't seem to find much troubleshooting since it is kind of an obscure format.

also, i need to get a new hard drive since initially i had only installed it on an old 6gb drive.  was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with installing linux to a SATA drive, and with which distro.  thinking of switching to Slackware 10.1

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: playing shns on linux
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 11:27:23 PM »
I know this doesn't solve the problem, but you can circumvent by converting to FLAC!
Out of the game … for now?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 10:50:07 AM »
rh9?   

as root try

up2date xmms-shn

If that doesn't work try

d/l 

wget http://dag.wieers.com/packages/xmms-shn/xmms-shn-2.4.0-1.0.rh9.dag.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh xmms-shn-2.4.0-1.0.rh9.dag.i386.rpm

Haven't used rh9 in a few months as a workstation but lemme know what errors you are getting and I should be able to help you work through them. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 11:04:21 AM »
I run fedora core 2 on a SATA drive.  As for the installation, there were no issues and the SATA took the install just like any other drive type.

I originally had a dual boot system but since installing a SATA drive, I cannot get the old drive to boot windows 98 - win98 shits all over itself when it detects the SATA. 
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline fozzy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 12:02:29 PM »
I run fedora core 2 on a SATA drive.  As for the installation, there were no issues and the SATA took the install just like any other drive type.

I originally had a dual boot system but since installing a SATA drive, I cannot get the old drive to boot windows 98 - win98 shits all over itself when it detects the SATA. 

good to know.  I am running FC2 on scsi(29160).  I have had problems w/ some integrated ide raid cards which required a driver during install (compaq dl320 and IBM blades). 

For a workstation i would stick w/ fedora instead of slackware.  I generally designate slackware as a server OS.  FC2 has lots or precompiled packages available and is trivial to setup and maintain. 

Offline chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 11:01:04 PM »
+T fozzy.  that was too easy ... i must not have been using the right rpm.  muchas gracias

also found the plugin i was looking for xmss-crossfade so it will play one track after the other instead of stopping after each track is done.  sweet!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 11:36:09 PM by chase »

Offline fozzy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 03:38:58 PM »
+T fozzy.  that was too easy ... i must not have been using the right rpm.  muchas gracias

also found the plugin i was looking for xmss-crossfade so it will play one track after the other instead of stopping after each track is done.  sweet!

cool backatya,  glad you got it workin.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com